LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jwheeler
|
Hello!

I was able to flag C as a contender for this one when I was going through the answer choices and ultimately found that all the others DID strengthen the argument, so it was right by default in my mind.

Just for future questions where something similar might pop up, but the other answers might not be so clearly strengtheners, would this not strengthen the argument because it only refers to 1 group of the doctors? Since the better-educated doctors end up at larger hospitals, but there is no correlation to recovery rate, it has no real effect on the argument? I guess I'm just trying to reconcile whether it's the lack of reference to the small hospitals, or the fact that the statement gives no effect on the large hospitals' recovery rates, that makes this answer correct.

Hope that made sense.
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jwheeler,
This is a Resolve the Paradox (Except) question so 4 of the answer choices will explain the problem/paradox in the argument and the correct answer will not. The 2 sides of the paradox are: (1) A lower percentage of people treated at large, urban hospitals recover from their illnesses (2) A higher percentage of people treated at smaller, rural hospitals recover from their illnesses.

So we are left to wonder why there would be a difference in the recovery percentages between the different hospitals.

Answer C does not help us to solve this paradox. It begins to give some information about the types of doctors who are drawn to larger hospitals, but then says that has nothing to do with recovery rates. Since our problem directly relates to discovery rates that would make Answer C irrelevant.
Hope that helps!!
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.