LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Parya
|
Hi,

I just finished taking my last practice test before the Saturday LSAT. During my review of the June 2008 LSAT today, I recognized a question in particular I had difficulty understanding as to why my answer choice was in error. I think it would prove to be fruitful to have an explanation as to why the correct answer is correct, and why the answer choice I chose was in error.

The question is in the June 2008 LSAT Section 4 #12. It is as follows:

"Linguist: The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis states..." [The remainder of the question has been removed in order to comply with LSAC Question Usage Guidelines]

I chose B. The correct answer is D. Could you provide insight as to why? Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Parya,

That's a good question. In that example, the linguist introduces the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, but says that since it is not clear that this hypothesis could be tested, it does not have the verifiability of the physical sciences.

Note that this is a fairly limited critique; the linguist does not claim that the hypothesis is false—just that the hypothesis is not as verifiable as the physical sciences are, since it can't clearly be tested. This is basically what correct answer choice (D) provides: we do not know whether or not the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis is true.

Answer choice (B) claims that only the physical sciences' hypotheses are verifiable. Although the linguist points to the hypotheses of the physical sciences as examples of greater verifiability, the linguist does not suggest that the physical sciences' hypothesis are the only ones which can be verified.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Sambenz
|
I answered C in this question in a timed test, but I think I was seriously rushing the question bc after looking at the stimulus there is no mention of whether a hypothesis is of worthy consideration. I'm usually good at spotting extra info. I think after looking at E, I got serious consideration in my head, and so C fooled me.

Also, the question has a conditional statement in it:

Clear that hypothesis could be tested :arrow: verifiability of physical sciences.

Looking back, I think I may have messed up because I was expecting that the contrapositive may be part of one of the answers, so I wasn't expecting an answer which didn't deal with that relationship, and crossed out D as a contender too early.
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sambenz!

Sounds like a classic case of overthinking. :) In this case, the answer was much simpler than a contrapositive! Based on the stimulus, we just can't conclude anything about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which leads us to (D). You're doing a great job reflecting on questions you get wrong after the face—that will serve you well in your studies!

Christen

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.