LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

So this is another instance where the issue of analogy and example has shown up on the LSAT and I'm still having trouble with it. So I know Robert or Adam had responded and said that an example is something that is very specific and an analogy is comparing things that are broad. For this reason I choose answer choice E the correct answer choice was B

So Helen says that "reading a book is the intellectual equivalent of investing money. Great, this is the analogy, I see that.

But the question stem asks how Randi replies to Helen's argument. Randi says: But that applies ONLY to vocational books. Reading fiction is like watching a sitcom:its just wasted time. How is this not an example He is differentiating between reading fiction and vocational books. Vocational books is a specific example of a type of book?

Thankyou
Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,
But the question stem asks how Randi replies to Helen's argument. Randi says: But that applies ONLY to vocational books. Reading fiction is like watching a sitcom:its just wasted time. How is this not an example He is differentiating between reading fiction and vocational books. Vocational books is a specific example of a type of book?
Randi's counterargument limits the scope of Helen's argument to vocational books. Just because vocational books are a specific subset of all books doesn't make them an "example." An example is supposed to illustrate something (the conclusion). Compare Randi's argument to the following: if he said, "Reading fiction is clearly a waste of time. I read 50 Shades of Gray and I got nothing out of it" - that would be a counterexample. What he's doing is something entirely different: he concedes that Helen's argument is valid but with a narrow scope, and then proceeds to offer another analogy - that between reading fiction and watching a sitcom. Both similar in that they are a waste of time, so what applies to one also applies to the other.

Hope this helps! :)
 brcibake
|
why not D? I see the analogy clearly in Randi's response but not in Helen's response.
Thank you
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Helen's argument analogizes reading a book to investing money. Those are different things, but comparable in this case, according to Helen.

There is no "example" present in Helen's argument. An example needs to be a specific illustration of the point the author is trying to make. Helen cites no specific instance of a book one reads or of investing money. She just describes how they are similar here.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.