LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

candaceross
|
Hello,
Can someone please explain to me how A does not resolve the paradox?

Thank you.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Candace,

In that one, the apparent paradox is that people who eat a lot of honey don't get as many cavities as others, even though honey has a lot of sugar.

Answer choice (E) resolves the paradox, providing that honey inhibits the bacteria that cause tooth decay.

Answer choice (A) provides that people who eat a lot of honey don't consume much other sugar. But they still eat a lot of honey, and honey has a lot of sugar, maintaining the apparent paradox.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks!

-Steve
 candaceross
|
Hi Steve,

Yes it does. Thank you very much
 gavelgirl
|
Hello,

I wanted to put E but ended up going with A only because when I read answer choice E, I thought that "honey containing bacteria that inhibit the growth of the bacteria that cause tooth decay" would be incorrect based on the face that the decay is being prevented from bacteria but not by avoiding sugar. Couldn't this bacteria formation to prevent tooth decay only stop tooth decay, but do nothing that thwarts sugar consumption from preventing tooth decay?

Clearly I am reading too much into this because I got the answer wrong and the LSAT makers are always right but I can't help but to think this way since this was my thought process when first reading the question.

Please help! Thanks
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gavelgirl!

The paradox here is that sugar is one of the leading causes of tooth decay, yet people who eat a lot of honey, which is high in sugar, tend to have fewer cavities than others. So we are looking for an answer choice that explains why, even though honey is high in sugar, people who eat a lot of it have fewer cavities than others. Essentially, we're looking for something that explains why eating honey leads to fewer cavities even though it is high in sugar.

Answer choice (E) tells us that honey contains bacteria that inhibits the growth of the bacteria that cause tooth decay. This could help compensate for honey's high sugar content. Yes, sugar can cause tooth decay. But if honey helps to prevent one of the other causes of tooth decay (bacteria) then it could compensate for its high sugar content.

Honey doesn't have to directly prevent sugar from causing tooth decay. It just has to have mitigating effects on other factors that contribute to tooth decay. Answer choice (A) just says that people eating a lot of honey don't eat a lot of other sugar sources but they still eat a lot of honey which is high in sugar so it doesn't explain why they would have fewer cavities.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.