LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

pasu1223
|
Hello,

I'm having a hard time figuring out why answer C is better than answer choice B. Also can you provide an explanation why E is incorrect? I'm guessing because it says "single handedly" implying that no one nation can manage this.

Thanks for the help!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Pasu,

Thanks for the question! Let's look at the stimulus and each of the three answers you ask about:

Note how the stimulus is focused on countries and the costs involved in a country unilaterally imposing emissions standards. The line before the conclusion is key to understanding answer choice (B): "No nation will be willing to bear singlehandedly the costs of an action that will benefit everyone. It is obvious, then, that the catastrophic consequences of excessive atmospheric carbon dioxide are unavoidable unless_____." [italics added]. Thus, the author is driving at a solution that doesn't involve just a single nation, but more likely collective action between nations.

Answer choice (B): The stimulus is focused on countries and nations, and far less on corporations. So, although the test makers cleverly throw in "multinational" here, this answer is still about corporations, not nations.

Answer choice (C): "International" agreements is a reference to agreements between countries, meaning that this answer is in line with the focus on countries in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E): This answer goes too far. Nothing in the stimulus suggests we need a world government, but instead that something involving collective action is more necessary. The test makers would say that this goes beyond the bounds of the "logically completes" task in the question stem.

Answers (B) and (E) are the kind of answers that would, in certain cases, justify the conclusion, but we are looking for something that is closer to the line of reasoning used in the stimulus, and so answers that go in a different direction (B) or well past the author's reasoning (E) will be incorrect.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 pasu1223
|
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, thank you!

I think with my initial thinking with the whole "no nation" part I took to mean the problem must be solved with something other than nations because nations cannot solve it.

As you mentioned the correct interpretation of this should be that no nation means no single nation implying that cooperation of some kind is necessary.

Your explanation was very helpful!

Patrick
 CJ12345:
|
Hi, Powerscore,
Why C is better compared to D and E.
D: Since the stimulus is basically talking about the "free rider" or "tragedy of common" issue, D seems reasonable
E: I understand the stimulus is not talk about world government, but it also did not talk about international agreements. Why C is better than E?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
CJ12345:,

Answer choice (D) comes out of nowhere. Why would distrust have to be eliminated? There's no basis for that in the premises. It thus makes a bad conclusion.

Again with answer choice (E) - where does the idea come from that world government is necessary? Nations have to cooperate. Why would they have to be eliminated in favor of a world government? The premises provide no anticipation of this idea.

Answer choice (C) is right because definitionally an international agreement will involve the cooperation of different nations.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.