LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSAT student
|
Hello,

I narrowed the choices down to (D) and (E) and selected (E) because of the word conclusively right before it. What is the argument for why (E) cannot be defended as correct? Thanks
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT Student,

That can be the danger with reducing question analysis to single words in the stimulus! The (yes, conclusive) research is being used to support another claim in the stimulus. Which claim is that? The claim that the belief "that people with children or pets should keep poinsettia plants out of their homes" (mentioned in the first sentence) "is mistaken." Why is that belief about not keeping poinsettias mistaken? Because of the research showing that poinsettias pose no risk. Since the research is giving a reason why the belief is mistaken, it's just a premise (not the main conclusion). The main conclusion is the statement that's being supported by the research, that the belief about poinsettias in the home is mistaken.

A couple hints for these main point questions: many of them (not all, but a substantial number) are built around what we call counterarguments. In a counterargument, I'm trying to knock down someone else's conclusion (or belief, or assertion). In such an argument, my conclusion usually boils down to the statement that those people I'm trying to contradict are wrong (or mistaken, as here).

One other hint: be very wary of the last sentence in a Main Point question. The last sentence in such questions is on rare occasions the main conclusion. But more often it's not (the test makers are trying to trap takers who believe the main conclusion must be the last thing the author said).

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.