LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lsat2016
|
Nikki Siclunov wrote:Of course, anything is possible - which is precisely why answer choice (E) is incorrect.

Thanks,
Ok! So does the fact that an answer choice is ambiguous a valid reason for eliminating an answer choice?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If the implications of the answer are ambiguous, i.e. if the answer choice can either weaken or strengthen the argument depending on other, unknown factors, then yes - I'd say this is a good reason to eliminate it.

Thanks!
 lsat2016
|
Nikki Siclunov wrote:If the implications of the answer are ambiguous

Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick responses!! I had a similar question regarding PT 71 section 1 #12 that I posted to this forum and I would be so thankful if you could answer it!!

Thanks
 chian9010
|
Nikki Siclunov wrote:Hi lsat2016,

Welcome to the Forum!! :-D

There is no reason to suspect that (A) weakens the argument. The argument is essentially causal: the author observes a decrease in likelihood of serious injury since 1955, which coincides with the introduction of the new legislation. From this, the author concludes that the new legislation was responsible for the increased worker safety:
  • ..... ..... ..... Cause ..... ..... Effect

..... New Legislation :arrow: Increased safety
This may be so, but answer choice (A) presents an alternative cause: technological innovation! This is an alternative cause that could easily explain the increased worker safety, weakening the argument.

Answer choice (E), by contrast, has no relation to this causal argument. Maybe workplace safety conditions have improved across all industries - so what? This could be the result of the same legislation that the author believes improved worker safety in the high-risk industries. If anything, since the legislation does not appear to target high-risk industries in particular, answer choice (E) can easily be interpreted as strengthening the conclusion of the argument.

Hope this helps!
I understand why A is the correct answer. However, if we assume E is talking about global industries (Not only within the certain country). Would this answer choice choice weaken the argument?
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Chian,

Changing the answer in the way you suggest does not weaken the claim that the explanation in that country is its legislative changes, especially since that could be the explanation in the other countries as well.
 lsacgals101
|
Nikki Siclunov wrote:Of course! We just don't know what was responsible for the observed effect. All answer choice (E) shows is that the observed effect is even more extensive than what the stimulus seems to suggest. This could be due to a host of reasons, none of which are presented in answer choice (E). It's entirely possible that, since the legislation's intended coverage wasn't limited to high-risk industries, the observed improvement across all industries resulted from that legislation. Of course, anything is possible - which is precisely why answer choice (E) is incorrect. Even if you don't see it as a Strengthen answer, it surely doesn't weaken the argument.

Thanks,

Hi,
I understand what you're saying about E. But having trouble forgetting about my original interpretation, which is that answer E is an alternate cause type answer... if workplace conditions in all industries have improved steadily since 1955... perhaps something caused this change (in all industries) and therefore, also caused the overall increase in safety in high risk industry, rather than the government's increased control having caused it. Could you help me understand why my thinking is wrong?
 George George
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
@lsacgals101

(E) is a vague answer, for all the reasons stated above. While it tells you there's been a positive effect on the work environment, you don't know how, and while you could read it as being possibly something other than the recent legislation, there's not enough information for you to do so. It's equally likely that the government has been passing legislation in other areas besides the "high risk industries." Answer choices like (E) which "sit on the fence" and don't really tell you specifically one way or the other are vague and incorrect. You cannot assess their impact (though you may be tempted, by making additional assumptions, to infer an impact that is not really warranted). In general, on a Weakener Q with a Cause-and-Effect argument, you should expect the right answer to be explicit enough for you spot the connection you need in order to provide an alternate cause. That's what (A) does that (E) fails to do.

Don't feel bad. These kinds of answers on Weakener and Strengthen Qs are some of the hardest traps -- because they're so tempting to argue for!
 paytenpar2014
|
Hi,

I was just wondering if the reason why B is wrong is because its irrelevant. For some reason, I initially thought that if B were true, then that would weaken it because if the injuries were from carelessness, then that's not something that legislation can fix. I definitely see why A is the superior answer that provides a true alternate cause, but I just want to be 150% clear on why B doesn't work!

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I do think answer B is irrelevant, paytenpar2014, so good work! We shouldn't be concerned with what caused accidents prior to 1955 (and the answer is even worse because it only deals with what caused most of the accidents, rather than all of them), but with what caused the reduction in accidents after that date. And perhaps the legislation could impact carelessness in some way, like by requiring training that leads to greater care, or by creating safer work environments in which carelessness would be less likely to cause a serious injury?

Look for some alternate cause for the reduction in injuries, or some problem with the data, or the cause without the effect, etc. Answer B doesn't provide any of those things that usually weaken a causal argument!
 PresidentLSAT
|
Hello Powerscore,

I ruled out A because it relies on the assumption that interaction between workers and heavy machines increases the likelihood of injury. While it's common knowledge, the stimulus doesn't give us information to make this inference. I've read through the explanations and still struggling with A. On certain questions, the assumption A will require will lead to the wrong answer choice.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.