LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

brcibake
|
I don't see how E is incorrect. To me, assumption is exactly why the argument is flawed
Thank you
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Take another look, brcibake - does the author assume that the study was flawed because of the inability to generalize them to other species? Try the negation technique on that answer - what if the study was flawed for some reason other than the inability to generalize them to other species? Like, what if the flaw in the study was that the authors of the study failed to observe the rabbits at all times when they could have been mating? Or what if they simply made up their data? Or any number of other possible problems?

More importantly, our author never assumes that the study wass flawed - he says the study is flawed! It's been "shown", although he doesn't say how or why or by whom it was shown. That's not an assumption, but a premise, because assumptions are unstated. He doesn't have to say why it was flawed, nor does he say anything to imply that the flaw has anything to do with the ability to generalize to other species. He just says the study has been shown to be flawed - period.

Assumptions are usually flaws, that much is true. Here, though, the assumption is that a lack of evidence for a claim supports the idea that the claim is false. Since a lack of evidence is not proof of anything, ever, that's the better way to describe the flaw here, and that is what makes A the best answer of the five presented.

Check that assumption again, and see what it was that gave you the idea that our author made that assumption. I think you'll find that there's no reason to believe he assumed that, and if so, then that cannot be the flaw.

Keep at it!
 EmilyLSAT22
|
Hi, could you please explain why D is incorrect? Thank you.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Emily,

What are you thinking of as the necessary condition, here? That would help me tailor the answer to you a bit more!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.