LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—CE. The correct answer choice is (D)

The author describes a new scholarly trend in which the previous emphasis on overarching historical
movements has been replaced by a focus on historical details. This shift in emphasis is regrettable,
the author concludes, because it lessens our ability to learn from history.

The question stem asks us to identify an answer choice that is supported by the information
contained in the stimulus. Because the conclusion is already stated in the last sentence, prephrasing
a conclusionary idea is unlikely to be useful. Instead, apply the Prove Test to eliminate any answer
choice that cannot be proven by the stimulus.

Answer choice (A): This is a tempting answer choice for those who generalize. Read closely!
Studying the details of historical events does not itself lessen our ability to learn from history; the
problem lies in our shift in emphasis away from overarching trends and movements. This answer
choice fails the Prove Test and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (B): The stimulus contains no evidence suggesting that discerning overarching
historical trends requires a de-emphasis on historical details. This answer choice also fails the Prove
Test and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice contains an exaggeration. Just because an emphasis on
historical movements and trends is preferable does not mean that it is the best way to learn from
history.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer. The author regrets that a new emphasis on
historical details has replaced the previous focus on overarching themes. In other words, a change in
emphasis in the interpretation of history has lessened our ability to learn from it. Do not be mislead
by the introduction of an ostensibly new term (“interpretation”): since both trends described pertain
to the writing of history, it is reasonable to consider them “interpretations” of history.

Answer choice (E): The author never advocated giving equal emphasis to overarching historical
trends and to the details of historical events. Furthermore, this answer choice contains an ethical
statement, which cannot be inferred given the factual nature of the argument. This answer choice
fails the Prove Test and is therefore incorrect.
 Basia W
|
Good evening,

within this strengthen question I am not entirely sure what makes D the correct answer choice rather than A. Is it due to the fact that the stimulus repeats the word "emphasis" twice making it more likely to appear in an answer choice? The fact that a listed "the details and motivations of historical events" made it more pertinent to me.

Thank you as always,

best,

Basia
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, Basia,

I can see why you picked A - A is very nearly correct. :-D But it barely misses the main point of the argument, sadly.

It is not that studying the details of historical events and motivations in itself lessens our ability to learn from history, as answer choice A states. The key phrase from the stimulus is "...with the result that the latter are often overlooked."

It's the fact that we skip over learning about overarching historical trends and movements in our haste to focus on the details of historical events and motivations that lessens our ability to learn from history. This change away from learning about trends and movements is the culprit, not the change towards events and motivations.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 Basia W
|
Hello,

ah that was a very subtle language shift. I will pay attention to those more next time!

best,

Basia
 Khodi7531
|
Can anyone help me get over the reason for why I didn't like D?

I chose A and I see the language creep. To me I think it's so subtle and stupid I would probably not change my approach to the question in the future cause if that's what makes it wrong i'm fine with not wasting time and confidently circle that answer.

But anyway, I didn't like D because to me it infers something that I couldn't make. "A CHANGE.....HAS LESSENED OUR ABILITY"

Although it may be right, and it's safer than A (excluding the language shift), I didn't like D because it's assuming the change as lessened our ability EVEN MORE than it was. Just reading it like, "A change....has lessened..." makes it seem like the change is the reason. Lessening an ability means it was once higher.

So to make that distinction, I just couldn't do it. I'm ok with getting this question wrong but i'm surprised no one else as brought that up. That was just my thought process under time when I read D. I felt it assumed more than I can prove.
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Khodi!

I would like to take a stab at further convincing you (and any future student who finds this) of the rationale behind the error behind your reasoning.

It seems that the big issue you are having with D involves the phrase "has lessened our ability." Though the tense has changed, this portion of the answer is totally consistent with the evidence in the stimulus that states that this shift in curriculum "lessens our ability to..."

Your claim that 'Just reading it like, "A change....has lessened..." makes it seem like the change is the reason" gives me the impression that you are worried about picking a MBT answer that implies causality. Normally, that is an excellent point of concern in these situations, but since the last sentence of the stimulus begins with "In consequence..." we do in fact have the authority to 100% prove that there was a causal relationship between the shifting curriculum (with a focus on what we are now omitting and the lessening of our understanding of history.

Hope that helps to clear it up!
 albkobe
|
Hi,

Why is the term "interpretation" in choice D not a disqualifier? Seems like additional detail that is not in the original statement.

Thank you
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi alkobe!

Although the specific word "interpretation" is not in the stimulus, that is not a strong enough reason to eliminate answer choice (D). In a MBT question, it's not that each individual word in the answer choice needs to be explicitly stated in the stimulus. It's the meaning behind those words that is important. The "details of historical events and motivations" and "overarching historical trends and movements" are two different ways of interpreting (or understanding) history. Thus, we can support that "a change in emphasis in the interpretation of history has lessened our ability to learn from history."

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.