LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ehilliard
|
Hello,

I was torn between C and D for this question. I ended up incorrectly choosing D. I know "difficulty" isn't explicitly mentioned in the stimulus but I felt that a resulting element of uncertainty in knowing what one wants was heavily implied in the stimulus.

Can you explain what eliminates D from contention?

Thanks,
Erin
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Erin,

Thanks for the question.

Answer choice D mentions that it's harder for people to *know* what they want. The stimulus doesn't exactly indicate this -- it tells us that it's harder to *achieve* not to know.

Hope this helps!
Beth
 ehilliard
|
Okay, thanks Beth. I think I read too far into the "or at least what they think they want" statement. Appreciate it!
 TurtleLawyer
|
I had a hard time justifying A upon review. When I first read it I equated "made it difficult" with making them feel like they had no time. I figured, if someone gave me a test and told me I had to finish it in half the time it would make the test seem more difficult. The key word is seem, the test wouldn't actually be more difficult, it would just seem more difficult. I get how that phrasing was tricky enough to bring me down.

My question is this, though: What should I do to be able to find these types of nuanced meanings while taking the test? Is it just practice, practice, practice? Or does anyone have a tip?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Turtle,

Just so we are on the same page here, (A) is an incorrect answer (it's (C)), so you wouldn't have to make this equivalence during the exam. Hopefully that makes you feel a bit better about this one!

Thanks!
 queenbee
|
Hi
I didn't chose answer choice C because i thought it was too vague. "Changes in peoples feelings about life" could be a good/positive change too. It seemed to me that the critic was saying that technological advancements have led to instability and impermanence, which is negative. The stimulus also stated the fast pace has caused people to not achieve what they want (or a goal), or at least what they think they want (either way its a goal). I felt like A fit right in. Any chance you can tell why my logic is wrong?
Thank you!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi queenbee!

Happy to address answer choices (A) and (C).

First, this a particular variant of must be true question, a principle question. In this question type, one is supposed to choose an answer choice that not only must be true based on the stimulus, it also must reflect a principle underlying the argument. The word "assessments" in the question stem indicates that this is a principle question. Noting the question type is an important starting point with regards to your concern that answer choice (C) was too vague. Vagueness doesn't necessarily disqualify an answer choice for this type of question and, to the contrary, it can often work well in terms of abstracting a broader principle or assessment that must be underlying the stimulus.

Answer choice (C) states, "Changes in people's feelings about life can result from technological changes." You note about this answer,

"Changes in peoples feelings about life" could be a good/positive change too. It seemed to me that the critic was saying that technological advancements have led to instability and impermanence, which is negative.
You're right in noting that the language of "changes in people's feelings about life" might indicate positive or negative changes. But that alone makes it work well as the right answer choice, rather than disqualifying it, for the broader, more encompassing language includes positive, negative, or other types of changes. You also raise a good point that the particular example of change in the stimulus seems to be negative inasmuch as it creates "feelings of impermanence and instability." Again, though, the more encompassing language of (C) includes these feelings. A differently worded answer choice (C) might seem more implausible if it only referred to positive feelings.

That explains why answer choice (C) is correct. With respect to answer choice (A), it states, "The fast pace of modern life has made it difficult for people to achieve their goals." This answer choice can be eliminated because its phrased in terms of difficulty, but difficulty isn't mentioned in the stimulus. We're told that "This speed has created feelings of impermanence and instability, making us feel as if we never have enough time to achieve what we want-or at least what we think we want." Based on this information alone, we don't know one way or another about difficulty. In addition, one might argue that the lack of time suggests difficult, but this raises another ambiguity in the answer choice. It refers to "goals," which also aren't specifically mentioned. Does "goals" refer to what we want? Or what we think we want? Answer choice (A) raises elements that we don't know for sure based on the stimulus, making it incorrect given this must be true/principle type of question stem.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.