LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nola,

Exactly! Answer choice (B) would indicate that Clovis points were invented independently in both Siberia and America, but doesn't tell us anything about which would have come first (ie the conclusion we're trying to strengthen). (A), on the other hand, would suggest that the Clovis points were first made in Siberia, as they are the oldest found, then brought by migrants across the Bering land bridge to America, strengthening the idea that they were invented outside the Americas.

Of course, there could always be new archaeological discoveries that found even older Clovis points in the Americas, suggesting that actually they were invented in America and then brought to Siberia, but we have to rely on the evidence presented, not speculation.

Good job!
 hassan66
|
Hi, I instinctively wanted to choose A but I thought that answer was too easy, especially considering it was towards the end of the section. I also thought that the Bering Bridge would be in the answer choice because otherwise, there was absolutely no point in it being mentioned. A would still hold true if we just said they crossed into North America and the oldest clovis points were found in Siberia. Do the testmakers frequently include language in the stimulus that can be completely ignored?

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I wouldn't say the land bridge can be completely ignored, hasan66. The fact that it is no longer there is intended to be misinterpreted as a limiting factor on the source of the Clovis points found in Siberia. It's not, of course, but you can't just ignore that information - you have to deal with it and eliminate it from consideration. But as far as stimuli containing information that is ultimately not needed in order to select the correct answer, yes indeed, the authors will do that all the time! You have to sift through all the information that is provided, determine what matters and what does not for your analysis, and then prephrase the answer. Don't ignore anything! Sort through it, weigh it, and then act on it.
 sparrrkk_
|
Hi,

I was able to narrow down my choices to A & B.
Since it says "contrary to previous belief", are we supposed to assume that there are clovis points found in North America?
I originally chose B, but I see that this leaves the possibility of paleohumans in North America and Siberia inventing Clovis points independently.
However, I am struggling to understand how A is the correct answer.
Is it a stretch to consider the possibility that paleohumans in North America could have invented Clovis points and brought the oldest Covis points back to Sibera? I was thinking maybe if these paleohumans wanted to bring the older ones as an example to show the paleohumans in Sibera or something...
Should we just assume, generally, that older typically indicates where something was invented?

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The stimulus certainly implies that archaeologists must have found some Clovis points in North America, sparrrkk_, because otherwise there would have been no basis for believing that they were invented there.

You're right that paleohumans could have brought Clovis points back to Siberia before the bridge disappeared, and that would certainly weaken the argument that they were NOT invented in North America. But it looks like you are putting too much pressure on the answer to this Strengthen question. We don't need to PROVE that they were not invented in North America - that would be a Justify the Conclusion question. We only need some evidence that helps that claim, something to put in the "pro" column for our author. If the Clovis points in Siberia are older than any previously found in North America, it certainly HELPS the claim that they weren't invented in North America, suggesting instead that they were invented in Siberia and carried over the bridge by those early paleohumans. That's all we need - help - in order to strengthen an argument.

You don't have to assume anything about the relationship between age and invention, other than that "invented" would indicate the very first appearance of a thing. A man-made object cannot exist until it has been invented and created. If you have two examples of a thing, and they are of different ages, the younger one is probably not a sign of when that thing was invented. Sure, they could have been invented independently in two different times and places, but we should not assume that is the case any more than we should assume anything else on this test.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.