LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen. The correct answer choice is (B)

Here we learn about eight craters that might have been caused by meteorites, or may have been
caused by volcanic events. Some of the craters contain rocks that could have been the result of
crashing meteorites, but these same craters also could have resulted from volcanic events. The
craters are lined up so perfectly that it is unlikely that some were caused by volcanoes and others by
meteorites (the perfect alignment of the craters was not likely the product of coincidence). Further,
the craters are different ages. Since they were not all created at the same time, the author concludes,
the craters were probably produced by volcanic activity, as opposed to several meteors hitting the
earth at different times to produce a perfect line of craters.

The question which follows requires us to find the answer choice which most strengthens the
author’s argument. This means that the right answer can specifically strengthen the conclusion that
volcanoes were responsible for creating the craters, or weaken the argument that meteorites were
their source.

Answer choice (A): The craters described in the stimulus are all different ages, and they create a
much longer line of craters, which are both reasons that the author is convinced they were the result
of volcanic activity. The craters mentioned in this answer choice make a shorter line and are all the
same age, creating an entirely different scenario.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. In order to strengthen the author’s
argument, we can bolster the idea that volcanoes created the craters, or somehow refute the notion
that meteorites were the cause. This answer choice achieves the latter. If there is no known cause
in nature that might lead to eight different aged meteorite craters in perfect alignment, that makes
it less likely that meteorites were actually the cause. By ruling out one possible alternative cause,
this answer choice strengthens the argument that volcanic activity was the actual cause of the nicely
aligned craters.

Answer choice (C): A lack of outside evidence for either possible cause would not strengthen the
author’s argument, so this choice cannot be correct.

Answer choice (D): This choice provides some support to the argument that meteorites caused the
craters, so this choice could not strengthen the argument that volcanic activity was the cause.

Answer choice (E): The craters discussed in the stimulus were different ages, so they could not have
come from a single meteor shower, so the fact that no such formation has come from a single meteor
shower is irrelevant.
 Garrett K
|
Hello PowerScore,

I missed question 23 and I dont understand why B is the correct answer. How can the answer "no known natural cause would likely account for eight meteorite craters of different ages forming a straight line" possibly straighten the argument ? Doesn't this disprove the argument that a volcano caused the craters since a volcano is a natural cause?

I have a feeling I am making this question out to be a lot harder than it really is.....

Thanks for the help,
Garrett K
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the question. The crucial word in the answer choice is the word "meteorites". It's easy to miss. Answer choice B actually has no effect on volcanoes whatsoever, it just tells us meteorites couldn't be the cause. Take another look!

Let us know if it's still helpful to review.

Good luck,
Beth
 Garrett K
|
I am still having trouble understanding answer B. Yes, this answer rules out that meteorites caused the craters at different times, but how does this help refute that meteorites could've caused the craters simultaneously?

Thanks,
GK
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Garrett,

The craters are all of different ages in the stimulus, so a simultaneous meteorite impact has already been excluded.

Robert Carroll
 emilysnoddon
|
The above clears up for me why answer B is correct but I am still having trouble understanding why E is not correct? Is this because it says SINGLE METEOR SHOWER and since we know the craters are of all different ages a single meteor shower cannot be the cause? Thanks!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Emily,

This is correct. The craters are all different ages - this is a premise and is unquestionably true. Therefore, it is irrelevant whether or not a single meteor shower can create exactly eight impact craters in a straight line. Even if that were possible, the craters would all be the same age. Since this is not the effect we are trying to explain, answer choice (E) is irrelevant to the conclusion of the argument.

Thanks!
 jlam061695
|
I still don't understand why B is the correct answer? i understand why E is incorrect, but B doesn't make much sense to me. If there were no known natural cause for the craters, then how would that strengthen the conclusion that craters were caused by volcanic events? Volcanic events are considered "natural causes" (the last time I checked). Doesn't this weaken the argument? I am confused.

Also, doesn't throwing in the word "meteorite" just weaken the author's conclusion? If they were "meteorite" craters, then doesn't that weaken the author's conclusion that they had to been have caused by volcanic events? Because if they were caused by volcanic events, shouldn't they be called non-meteorite craters/volcanic craters?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jlam061695 wrote:I still don't understand why B is the correct answer? i understand why E is incorrect, but B doesn't make much sense to me. If there were no known natural cause for the craters, then how would that strengthen the conclusion that craters were caused by volcanic events? Volcanic events are considered "natural causes" (the last time I checked). Doesn't this weaken the argument? I am confused.

Also, doesn't throwing in the word "meteorite" just weaken the author's conclusion? If they were "meteorite" craters, then doesn't that weaken the author's conclusion that they had to been have caused by volcanic events? Because if they were caused by volcanic events, shouldn't they be called non-meteorite craters/volcanic craters?

Hello jlam061695,

A careful reading of answer B, "No known natural cause would likely account for eight meteorite craters of different ages forming a straight line", shows that it would have been impossible to create such meteorite craters though natural means. So, "no meteorite craters" allows for--or even demands--volcanic craters, through whatever cause (natural or artificial--maybe a space alien causing volcanoes through some high-tech means??!).

Hope this helps,
David
 jlam061695
|
That makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks! Reading the answer choice too deeply made me feel like I was looking at an optical illusion and trying to make sense out of it.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.