LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (B)

Madden’s argument is basically that industrialists address problems with simplification. When
applied to farming, Madden asserts, this approach often turns into oversimplification. For example,
this overly simplistic industrialist perspective sees the retention of water and the drainage of water as
opposites, missing the fact that good topsoil can both drain and retain water.

Instead of seeing the simplest solution, industrialists use two distinct approaches—one for the
purpose of draining and another for retaining. To aid retention, a dam or terrace is used, and for
drainage a tile, ditch or subsoiler is used. In sum, Madden believes that putting the overly simplistic
industrialists in charge of agricultural decisions (rather than the farmers) creates more problems than
solutions.

The question stem requires us to find among the answers the best illustration of Madden’s argument.
The correct answer choice will probably deal with the problems of farming and how industrialists
see things too simply.

Answer choice (A): The problems of water retention and drainage are not presented as the most
important part of good farming—these issues are intended to exemplify the overly simplistic
approach that industrialists take to the problems of farming.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice, confirmed by Madden’s assertion that the
industrialist approach tends to oversimplify the problems of farming. Clearly, Madden believes that
farming problems should be seen in all their complexity.

Answer choice (C): The language used in this answer choice should allow us to quickly rule it out.
The claim is not that farmers are the best at solving problems—just that industrialists who try to
solve farming problems tend to create more problems than solutions.

Answer choice (D): Like incorrect answer choice (C), the strong language used takes this answer
choice out of contention. The author does not take the bold stand that industrial solutions should
never be sought for farming problems. The author says that the simplistic industrialist approach
usually (but perhaps not always) leads to oversimplification.

Answer choice (E): The author believes that industrialists’ solutions are too simplistic to be
successfully applied to agricultural problems such as water retention and draining. However, that
is not the same as saying that the typical industrialist’s approach is “fundamentally flawed”—just
that it should not be applied to agricultural issues. Since this choice makes a bold claim that is not
supported by the stimulus, it fails the Fact Test and should be ruled out of contention in response to
this question.
 rachue
|
Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why B is correct over E. B seems too sweeping of a conclusion (I understood from the stimulus that oversimplification of farming problems should be avoided, but not that they should therefore necessarily be viewed in "all their complexity").

I thought E could be better because the approach industrialists are taking to farming problems IS fundamentally flawed. I know this is broad, and that the stimulus only refers to industrialists' view towards farming problems and not other problems where maybe their approach ISN'T fundamentally flawed, but compared to B, it seemed like the better answer.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Madden argues that, when it comes to farming, industrialists' strategy usually leads to oversimplification. The rest of the stimulus presents an example supporting this conclusion.

This is a Must Be True - Principle question, which requires you to identify a principle illustrated by the situation described by Madden. You are correct in pointing out that B and E are the strongest contenders.

Although answer choice (E) is somewhat attractive, we have no evidence to reach the conclusion that the approach to problem solving typical of industrialists is fundamentally flawed. The argument is only concerned with their approach to problem solving in farming. In fact, the author concedes in the first sentence that "industrialists address problems by simplifying them," which is subsequently contrasted with a particular strategy that leads to oversimplification. The contrast between simplification and oversimplification only makes sense if we assume that the former is not necessarily flawed, whereas the latter is. Consequently, it is unreasonable to conclude that industrialists are fundamentally wrong in how they typically approach problem solving.

Answer choice (B) contains the type of language typical of principle questions: an imperative ("should") to perform a particular action in a way proscribed by the stimulus. Since Madden laments the oversimplification of problem solving with respect to farming, it is logical that the principle underlying her position be the exact opposite of that held by industrialists: the problems of farming should be viewed in all their complexity. Despite the strong language in answer choice (B), the argument provides adequate support for the definitive nature of this principle.
 rachue
|
Wow, that really helped. I had never even considered that first sentence in the way you explained (that we can infer from it that the method of just simplification is not flawed as is oversimplification). Thanks a lot!
 rachue
|
Just so you know, I think the explanation given for Must-PR questions might need to be revised a bit (page 10-33 in the Virtual Course books).

In regards to Must-PR questions, it only explains how to answer questions in which the principle is already presented in the stimulus. This explanation doesn't seem applicable to the particular question we discussed above, which asked us to find the principle most applicable to the stimulus.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Point well taken. However, the distinction between the two types of questions is trivial: whether the stimulus contains a principle (which you need to illustrate with a particular answer) or vice versa (i.e. the answer choices contain principles, one of which is properly illustrated by the reasoning in the stimulus) is ultimately irrelevant. Both conform to the Must Be True - Principle paradigm, requiring you to identify an answer that is provable by the information contained in the stimulus.
 rachue
|
That is true, too. Thanks.
 anahi78
|
It seems that Madden is favoring farming strategy over industrial so I picked choice C. Please explain both choice C and B. Thanks!
 Jacques Lamothe
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey anahi78,

Answer choice (C) is a bit too strong to be correct. Madden is not claiming that Famers are better than everyone else at solving farming problems. He is only arguing that farmers are better at solving the problem than a specific group of other people, industrialists. Madden's passage more accurately illustrates answer choice (B). The reason that industrialists are bad at solving farming problems is their tendency to oversimplify. You are correct that Madden favors farming strategy. He does so because farmers recognize the complexity involved.

I hope this explanation helps!

Jacques
 reop6780
|
This is must be question.

This kind of question that requires for me to know the implication of the stimuli is personally challenging.

As some answer choices are obvious wrong, I came down to answer B and D.

While answer B is the correct answer, I chose D.

It is easy to explain why D is incorrect; the stimuli does not necessarily wants to exclude any industrial solution from farming problems.

How am I supposed to know? How do I reach answer B instead of E?

(I mean...) the general impression I get from the stimuli is that industrial solution may not resolve farming problems, and make things worse.

How do we know the author does not intend to reach such logical consequence as E?
(Instead B specifically?)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.