LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

Sahira argues that governments are justified in subsidizing artists (this is the main conclusion of her
argument), because without such subsidies, she asserts, artists with great potential would have to
create popular works “instead of their best work.” Sahira’s clear implication here is that the popular
works created would not represent such artists’ best work.

Rahima points out that the above conclusion depends on a questionable notion: that talented artists’
popular creations would represent something other than their best work. Rahima says that this is not
necessarily the case.

The dialogue between Sahira and Rahima is followed by a Method of Reasoning question, so we
should prephrase the answer if possible: In her argument, Rahima questions Sahira’s implication that
popular works would not represent these artists’ best work.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Rahima’s response is to question Sahira’s
assumption that appealing to the masses would lead to something other than the best work from
artists of great potential.

Answer choice (B): Rahima disagrees with Sahira; she does not present independent support for
Sahira’s argument but rather takes issue with it.

Answer choice (C): Rahima questions Sahira’s conclusion because it is based on a questionable
notion. Since Rahima does not accept Sahira’s conclusion, this answer choice cannot be correct.

Answer choice (D): Rahima does not “use” Sahira’s premises; instead, she questions an unstated
premise (i.e., an assumption) of Sahira’s argument.

Answer choice (E): Rahima asserts that one of Sahira’s assumptions may be invalid—Rahima does
not claim that there has been any self-contradiction.
 LAM
|
Luckily, I got this answer correct. However, on answer choices in these types of questions, I would like to be able to think of a scenario that matches each answer choice so I can picture how each answer choice would actually read. This helps me eliminate incorrect answers. I am learning these argument methods so it is difficult to know, for example, what a circular argument actually looks like, etc. With this in mind, answer choice E says 'argues that a standard that she claims Sahira uses is self-contradictory'. Can someone please give me an example of this? Maybe you could use Sahira's subject matter (artists being enabled to do their best work via govt funding) - I just want to know how a 'self-contradictory standard' reads so that when I see it, I know what it is. Luckily, I chose the correct answer but if I don't know each answer choice intimately - what each argument actually is and how it reads in written form, I won't do well on these types of questions. Thanks in advance.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LAM!

Happy to help with a suggestion. There are tons of answer choices where the designers of the LSAT chose to put things in terms of general language about logic and argumentation (like you note, they often mention circular arguments), so you're definitely wise to ask for clarification!

You specifically asked about (E)--that Rahima "argues that a standard that she claims Sahira uses is self-contradictory." An example of this logical fallacy would have been if Sahira had said:

"To make a living from their art, artists of great potential would have to produce work that would gain widespread popular acclaim, instead of their best work. An artist's best work is always universally loved.

I used the same language as the stimulus, but added the italicized part. Sahira's first sentence assumes that an artist's best work does not have popular acclaim. It would be "self-contradictory" for Sahira to then claim that an artist's best work is "universally loved"--because that's just another way of saying an artist's best work enjoys "widespread popular acclaim." In other words, Sahira's second sentence would contradict his first.
 LAM
|
Luke, Thanks a TON! That was awesome. I totally see what the convoluted language actually means. It's just a contradiction. Saying one thing in your premise, and turning around and saying the exact opposite in the conclusion. The 'standard' part confused me - I was thinking, 'what the heck is a 'standard' according to their definition?' I am assuming it is just a statement, a part of their premises? Other words for standard could be claim, or principle? Thanks so much for that. That was perfect and EXACTLY what I was looking for in terms of clarification. You used the stimulus I was confused about so that was doubly helpful.
 tld5061
|
Hi,

Can you please explain how this is disputing an implicit assumption of Sahira's? Is the implicit claim that to gain widespread popular acclaim, artists must produce something other than their best work? I am having trouble seeing how that was implicit as I see it as stated by Sahira.

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The "implicit assumption" here, tld5061, is that an artist's best work would NOT achieve widespread popular acclaim. Since Sahira didn't say that, but her argument rested squarely on that idea, that is an implicit assumption, and that is what Rahima disputes. Rahima is saying that you can, in fact, have it both ways - best AND popular.

I hope that helps!
 LSAT student
|
Hello,

What is the assumption mentioned in choice (A)? I narrowed the choices to (A) and (D), and wasn't sure about D, but could not find any evidence for A.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
See my answer directly above your question in this thread, LSAT student!
 Snomen
|
Hi, can anyone please provide an example of answer choice D.., how it would like..In the same way, how did Luke Haqq above
Thank you!
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Snowmen,

Answer choice (D) says that Rahima uses the premises in Sahira's argument to reach a different conclusion. That would mean that Rahima accepts all of Sahira's premises as true, but just thinks that their reasoning (how they show that the premises support the conclusion) is wrong. We actually have no idea what Rahima thinks about whether governments should subsidize art. Here, Rahima outright rejects one of the premises, disputing the assumption that an artists "best work" can't also be work that is popular.

Answer choice (D) might work if Rahima agreed that an artist's best work is not going to achieve popular acclaim, but nevertheless argued that governments still should not subsidize artists.

In abstract terms, answer choice (D) would look like this:

Sahira: Premise A + Premise B :arrow: Conclusion C
Rahima: Actually, A + B :arrow: Conclusion D, not C.

Hope that helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.