LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kappe
|
Please Explain why answer choice A is correct.
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kappe,

Sure! So this is a resolve the paradox question so step 1 is to define the paradox.

Paradox statement 1: all movies tend to be based on old plots
Paradox statement 2: people enjoy seeing new movies

The question is a Resolve the Paradox *except* question. So the correct answer *will not* resolve the paradox. Here Answer Choice A does not address the second paradox statement: answer choice A does not answer why people still enjoy watching new movies despite the fact that they are based on the same plots.

I hope that helps!
 ltoulme
|
Hi!

I'm a little confused why (A) is correct. Doesn't the fact that movies with original plots are not as financially successful as standard plots show that more people like to see those movies? Thus, it addresses the second part of the paradox.

Thanks so much!
Laura
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Laura,

The key question to ask on resolve the paradox questions is:

"How is it possible that both these apparently contradictory things are true at the same time?"

In other words, for this problem ask, "How is it possible that on the one hand plots are just recycled and on the other hand people still love to see lots of new movies?"

The credited response for a resolve the paradox question will answer this question. To answer the question, the credited response must address both sides of the apparent discrepancy. On this "EXCEPT" question you must find the one answer that does not answer this question.

Answer choice A tells you that studios make recycled movies because people spend money on them; however, this answer choice does not tell you why people don't care that the plots are recycled. Therefore this answer choice does not in fact answer the pertinent question. As you correctly noted, the answer choice addressed the second part of the paradox, but it does not address the first part. Thus, it does not resolve the discrepancy and is the credited response.
 ltoulme
|
That makes sense, Jonathan - thanks!
 asuper
|
Hello,
When I got to answer choice A I thought it was definitely a contender. I mean, how does financial success have anything to do with people enjoying seeing the new movies. Then I got to E and honestly, I have no idea why I chose answer E because I dont actually understand what it was saying. Would E resolve the paradox because if most modern movie plots were used, but most of the uses occurred in the 40's and 50's then theyre old enough that people wont notice that theyre being reused? Or, is it saying that most of the uses occurred in the 40's and 50's and actually dont occur anymore?

On another note, I am taking the LSAT for the second time on September 8th. The June LSAT was rough for me. I had really bad anxiety leading up to the exam. During the exam, I essentially had an anxiety attack. I have tried to be intelligent about the way i study the second time around. I do a lot of review and your forums have been a tremendous help, especially with LR which is what I struggle the most with. I have started scoring in the 160's, even achieving a 165 and 167. However, Ill still have a "bad test" every once in a while. I might bomb a section and upon review I can tell that I just wasnt thinking carefully and not attending as much as I shouldve. I got really burnt out the first time around. I was in school and studying 4 hours a day 7 days a week for the LSAT on top of my academic studies. I am trying very hard to ensure that doesnt happen again.

As I am a week and half out from the exam, my plan is to take two more practice tests. One on Saturday and one on Sunday. The week before my exam, I plan to just do review and single sections. The day before I wont do any studying. I was wondering if this sounds like a good way to go about it?

Also, in June, the proctors assistants were speaking during the test inside the testing room. I was lucky enough to be sitting right where they decided to converse about their lunch break and other topics. I understand the proctor cannot control environmental factors outside of the testing room; however, I believe the proctor should have some control inside the testing room, especially with his assistants. So, I guess what I'm asking is, do you think it would be inappropriate to ask the proctor if he remind his assistants to not speak inside the testing room? If you think it is not inappropriate, I was wondering if you think I should try and ask in private or if when given the chance to ask questions before the exam begins, I should ask then.

My apologies on the rant above^ I have been trying my best to increase confidence and I hope the second time around will be better than the first.

Sincerely,
Alex
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi asuper,

You put it well: Answer choice (E) resolves the paradox
asuper wrote:because if most modern movie plots were used, but most of the uses occurred in the 40's and 50's then theyre old enough that people wont notice that theyre being reused.
Answer choice (A) doesn't contribute to resolving the discrepancy because it doesn't EXPLAIN WHY people would enjoy seeing new movies that were just variations on old plots.

I'm sorry that you took the test before anyone could responded to your concern about noise in the test location, and I hope your test day went well. If you end up retaking the LSAT or if you take another standardized test in the future (::cough:: the Bar Exam ::cough::), I think it is fine to voice that kind of concern privately and politely with a proctor well in advance of the test start time. If there is a particular noise that is the problem, they may even be able to move you. But also remember that proctors are often as unfamiliar with the test location as you are, and they may not be able to solve the problem. I advocate at least occasionally studying in an environment that has some distractions so that you can be confident in your coping skills on test day.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.