LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sherry001
|
Hello ;
For this question I had two issues .
1) I picked E , and really can't see how D is the answer.
I don't see anything in the stimulus about how people were before the disaster in terms of their likelihood of providing aid to others.

D) once a disaster has struck them, people are more likely to aid others in need than the were before the disaster.

2) is this a must be true or must be true principle ? I had trouble finding the conclusion ( if it is principle )

Thanks so much for your help,
Sherry
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Sherry,

That's a good question, and part of what makes it more challenging is the order in which the author reports the events. If we reorder them according to a logical timeline, the analysis becomes much more clear.
  • A few years ago, a relatively small proportion of the residents of Hollyville sent aid to earthquake victims.

Last year, Hollyville suffered a tornado and the town received emergency aid.

This year, a majority of Hollyville residents sent aid to flood victims.
A few years ago, only a small proportion donated to disaster victims, and this year the majority of town residents participated. So, what happened to change things? Seems like after they went through some tough times themselves they were more sympathetic. That is what correct answer choice (D) provides: people are more likely to aid others after they themselves have been hit with disaster.

Answer choice (E) suggests that people are more sympathetic to those experiencing disasters like they themselves have experienced, but that principle is not applicable in this case, since the Hollyville residents were helping earthquake victims and flood victims, respectively, though they themselves had suffered a tornado.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear—thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.