LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

heartofsunshine
|
I chose A on this problem because of the fact it said "sent by our field inspectors from VARIOUS manufacturing locations". No where did you know if this included 100% of the locations or only a small sample size. So if it doesn't include 100% of the locations, this data is invalid, that is why I went with A) bases a conclusion on too small of a sample size.

I also don't really like how the testing was done. Usually you think there would be a more methodical approach to this, where you would take (# of defective items / the total garments from all facilities) to reach your target of 5% or below. Taking random items and doing a random test like this is flawed in itself, which I guess is also why answer choice D works (but also C). I thought D and C both pointed to an overarching theme of lack of an appropriate sample size.

Help in understanding what these test makers want me to?? Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Actually, Heart, random sampling is a great way to test for things like defect rates, so long as the sample is representative of the total. We don't need to test 100% of the sites, or 100% of the products, to be fairly certain of our results, so long as the sites chosen and the samples chosen are a good representation of all sites and all products, and random selection of the products would help ensure that.

That's what the author failed to consider here - the possibility that the selection of products by the inspectors was NOT random! What if the inspectors were pulling products that they thought, upon inspection, might be defective? That would skew the sample away from being random and representative.

"Various" sites means they went to more than one or two, and that's good. There is nothing in the stimulus to suggest that the sites chosen were not representative. Just the opposite, really - it suggests that they had some variety, which is good. While it is possible that the sample size was too small, the stimulus does nothing to suggest that, so we cannot say (as answer A does) that the sample WAS too small, only that it MIGHT be. Answer A is just too strong, and assumes facts not provided to us.

TL;DR: A representative sample doesn't need to be 100%, but it does need to be representative, and that includes some degree of randomness in the selection.
 mguitard
|
Hi, I was wondering if I had the reasoning correct in why D is the right answer:

The quality control investigator assumes that the field investigators and the supplier both examined the same sample items. So, if this were assumed, he'd overlook the fact that they did not. The field inspectors may have, as stated by D, chosen to test those items they suspected to be defective.

Additionally, I know understand B is incorrect now, however, I cannot seem to put into words why it's incorrect.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's not that the supplier needed to inspect the items, mguitard, but that the items chosen by the field inspector needed to be representative. Answer choice (B) describes a representative sample---the inspector is not more likely to select a defective one than a non-defective one. Answer choice (D), on the other hand, describes the flaw. The argument overlooks the possibility that the items selected were NOT random. That would mean that the rate of defective products found is not reliable to determine the overall defective rate.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 supjeremyklein
|
summary
the field inspector sent 20 units from the supplier and 4 of them sucked
if we get 2 or more units back that suck, then our supplier blows
so our supplier blows

analysis
just because the field inspector sent us 2 or more units back that suck, doesn't mean our supplier blows

answer choices:
(d) says it's the field inspectors who actually blow here...lol

(a) talks about sample representation being sketch, which definitely raises a good question, since the total number of units being manufactured is unknown. but since the argument lacks the necessary information (total number) for this answer choice to have an impact on the reasoning, it can't be the right answer.

(b) talks about the odds of picking a crappy unit out of the bunch. but if the odds of picking a crappy unit are 50 percent, then it would seem to me that the supplier actually does blow, considering half the units are presumably crappy. so this answer choice feels like the opposite of the objective.

(c) is similar to (a). it's uncertain how many manufacturers are involved here. but this is also a lamer answer choice than (a); it might be the opposite of the objective; even if a few or all manufacturers suck, the responsibility lands on the supplier, and since it's the suppliers job to make sure the products aren't crappy, it would lead me to believe that the supplier blows, which would support the argument, not fight against it.

(e) i don't see how the distribution of visits relates to the information provided in the argument
 queenbee
|
Hi
When i read this question, i thought, what if something else impacted the quality of the product sampling, after all, there was an intermediate who picked up the samples and physically sent them to the quality control investigator. It could be that the samples were damaged when they were sent and not in the manufacturing plant. So I selected (B) Would you please let me know why this logic is not correct?

I didn't select (E) because it didn't make a difference if the inspectors when to all or just 3 of the manufacturing sites. Either way, the # of defect needs to be less than 5%. If a single plant is an output where 50% of the product is defective, then that plant would need to be further investigated. Similarly, if a single plant represents 5% of the total product produced, and that specific plant had 100% defective units, then it's something that needed to be investigated.

Would appreciate any help you can offer here.
Thank you
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
queenbee,

Your logic is correct, but that's not what answer choice (B) says. Answer choice (B) says that the argument presumes the odds of picking a defective item were 50%. The author never said that! Nor does the author believe that - the author probably believes the defect rate is around 20%, because in the premises they give, that's the defect rate in their sample. The issue, as you noted, is that defects in the sample may overstate defects in the entire group. Answer choice (D) points out one reason why the defect rate in the sample may be inflated.

Answer choice (E) is incorrect and that's the idea - it doesn't matter for the argument how many sites they visited or how often.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.