LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

okjoannawow
|
Hi!

I'm a little bit confused on the correct answer to this question. I selected B, and I understand why my reasoning was wrong with that answer choice. But I don't understand how E strengthened the claim Sabina made.

Thank you!
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

Let's jump into Sabina's argument and help clear up answer choice E.

Gilbert argues that the label on these cookies is mistaken to claim that the cookies contain only involve natural ingredients, and this is backed by his mention of the cookies containing alphahydroxy acids that are chemically synthesized by the cookie company at their plant. Just in case this helps, synthetic means to be produced artificially using chemicals, which is basically the exact opposite of natural.

To be honest, the hippie in me really wants to agree with him, as these cookies aren't screaming natural to me. However, since we are here to help Sabina strengthen her argument against him, I try to imagine his argument being read out loud by Gilbert Gottfried and he becomes much easier to disagree with :ras: ( If you don't know who that is, watch a video to hear his voice and you'll know what I mean!)

Sabina then claims the label is not mistaken, which means that these cookies are in fact made of only natural ingredients.
Her evidence is that those alphahydroxy acids are found naturally occurring in sugarcane.

Her point is then based off of the connection that even though these particular acids in the cookies are chemically synthesized in their plant (aka that treehouse where the Keebler elves live), the fact that they can be found to occur naturally elsewhere means that they can still be considered natural.

The correct answer choice in E does bring an unexpected complexity, but let's parse through it. To help further, here is a diagram of Sabina's argument:

P: These cookies are made with synthetic alphahydroxy acids
P: Those acids are found elsewhere to occur naturally

C: It's not mistaken to label these cookies as having only natural ingredients

E allows us to say that since the alphahydroxy acids ARE in fact occurring naturally in a source, then they should be a substance that's considered natural.

Hope that helps :)

As a side note, I just had a random epiphany that maybe this question explains the name Hydrox for those imitation Oreo cookies! Mmmm, Oreos.... okay now it's snack time! 8-) :ras:
 okjoannawow
|
Thank you for the spectacular explanation Jay!! I'm definitely taking the Gilbert Gottfried strategy with me when I'm facing a question I have trouble with. E makes perfect sense now. Thanks again!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.