LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

The author provides background information about radio drama, stating that radio drama requires its listeners to think about what they hear and to picture dramatic elements, i.e. to use their imaginations. The author then concludes that today’s generation of television viewers uses their imaginations less frequently than the earlier generation, since radio is no longer the dominant form of entertainment.

Keep a close eye on the conclusion. The author never explicitly stated that television requires its viewers to exercise less imagination than radio did from its listeners. Furthermore, even if television does not require as much imagination, it is possible that today’s generation of television viewers use their imaginations more often than the previous generation through other outlets besides radio or television.

Answer Choice (A): The comparative amount of time people spend watching television and listening to the radio has no bearing on the issue at hand. The Assumption Negation technique eliminates this answer. If people do not spend as much time watching television today as they once did listening to radio, it is still possible that today’s generation exercises their imagination less frequently.

Answer Choice (B): This answer choice is irrelevant. The familiarity of a form of popular entertainment was never discussed in the stimulus. We have no idea how familiar radio was to the previous generation, nor how familiar television is to the current generation. The author does not need to assume anything about familiarity for this argument to be true.

Answer Choice (C): This answer choice is a Shell Game answer. The conclusion deals with how much each generation exercised their imagination, not with which form of entertainment is more desirable. The author does not need to assume that television is undesirable because it inhibits creativity.

Answer Choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice is a classic Defender Assumption since it blocks a potential challenge to the argument. Also, like many Defender Assumptions, the Assumption Negation technique is particularly useful at proving that this answer choice is correct: if something can fill the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination, then today’s generation might exercise their imaginations more than the previous generation. Since the negation of the answer choice weakens the argument, the author must be assuming that nothing fills the gap left by radio in order for his conclusion to be true.

Answer Choice (E): While this answer choice Strengthens the argument, it is far too strong to be an assumption required for the conclusion to be true. The author does not have to assume that television is a mindless activity. Try the Assumption Negation Technique: even if television does require its viewers to think about what they see, that does not mean that television viewers are exercising their imaginations as much as radio listeners did in the past. Consequently, the logical opposite of this answer choice does not weaken the conclusion of the argument.
 mN2mmvf
|
Funny, I thought (D) was "far too strong to be an assumption required for the conclusion to be true." The argument only concluded that TV viewers exercise their imaginations "less frequently," not not at all. So why is it required that *nothing* fill the gap left by radio as a medium for exercising the imagination? Maybe something else partially filled the gap, but still TV viewers nonetheless exercise their imaginations less frequently.

I agree that (E) is also a strong choice and I wasn't totally comfortable with it either. Where am I going wrong with (D)?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi M,

This is a difficult question for many test takers, and answer choice (E) is a very attractive wrong answer. Breaking down the argument made in the stimulus, we have a premise that thinking about what one hears and picturing for oneself dramatic elements exercises one's imagination. Radio dramas required thinking about what one heard, so the argument concludes by claiming that "today's generation of television viewers" exercise their imaginations less than the earlier radio listeners, presumably because television viewers no longer have to imagine what the dramatic action looks like.

As an assumption question, there are two possibilities: is this a supporter answer, where we need to link something from a premise to a new element in the conclusion, or a defender answer, fighting off possible avenues of attack on the argument? (E) is attractive because it seems to fill the supporter role, linking television viewing (a novel element in the stimulus's conclusion) to imagination via thinking about what TV viewers see. But thinking about what we see isn't an element of the argument, thinking about what we hear is. So (E) is off on a parallel track to the argument we have in the stimulus, and we don't know how much thinking about what one sees exercises the imagination versus how much thinking about what one hears does.

Answer choice (D) ends up working because, while not the supporter we might be looking for, it serves as a defender to the possible attack that other forms of media have filled the gap in stimulating the imagination by making listeners think about what they hear, or see, or read, etc., thus allowing "today's generation of television viewers" to have their imaginations exercised at least as much as the earlier generations of radio drama listeners.

Hope this clears things up!
 nancydrew5152
|
I also missed the distinction between "hearing" and "seeing" because I'm a visual learner, so I try to imagine the scenario presented in the stimulus when possible. You can easily imagine listening to a radio show and "seeing" the characters in your mind's eye, so it's almost effortless to assume that television drama does not require its viewers to think about what they see because the story is visually displayed for them. I did exactly what you described and went for answer choice (E). I'm not sure I was even aware of what I did in the moment until I read your explanation and realized that the stimulus only refers to radio listeners thinking about what they "hear". Now, when I negate (E) I can easily see that it doesn't work, but (D) still feels like a frustrating correct answer choice.
 Katherine4
|
For this question, I also eliminated C because of the "undesirable form of entertainment". The way I understood this was that desirability was never discussed and seems irrelevant to the topic because the conclusion is all about the exercise of imagination.
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Katherine4,

You bet! The desirability of the forms of entertainment is irrelevant to the argument in the stimulus, and therefore can't be a required assumption of the historian's argument. Nice job!

Alex
 ashpine17
|
Is E also wrong because it is talking about what viewers are seeing versus hearing (radio)?
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ash,

(E) is irrelevant because the distinction the historian draws is that TV viewers actually see the images and don't imagine them. TV viewers thinking about the images is not at issue.

Best,
Eveline
 ashpine17
|
But I thought thinking about the images was the very definition of imagination. (first sentence of stimulus)
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ash,

A way to think about assumption questions is to consider where the logical leap is. Earlier generations listened to radio as their main form of entertainment, so therefore today's TV-watching generation exercise their imagination less. The leap here is that the stimulus author is assuming that today's TV-watching generation doesn't have something else to fill the gap of using their imagination left by a decline of radio-listening.

(E), television drama not requiring its viewers to think about what they see does not address the logical leap.

In the first sentence, imagination is not defined as thinking about the images. The stimulus author equates imagination with "picturing for themselves such dramatic elements as characters' physical appearances and spatial relationships." Watching TV does not require someone to picture/envision/imagine those things because they are literally seeing the characters' appearances and spatial relationships.

Hope that helps,
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.