LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

AAron24!
|
I chose answer B for this question and after going back i realize why I was wrong I am having a difficult time understanding why C is correct. Also, can you please explain why A is wrong as well. Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We have moved your post to the thread discussing this post. Please check out the official explanation on page 1 of this thread and the ensuing discussion: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=5808. If that doesn't provide the answer you need, please let us know if you have any additional questions.

I hope that helps!
 lonvely
|
Hello. As I was first doing this question, I noted the flaw concerning the author's assumption that financial rewards could only mean a high salary & saw that AC C hinted at that. However, I didn't choose it because it seemed like it demanded an "extra step" to really target the argument; I would've liked if it had said "similar-paying jobs often have various financial benefits and people account for these when selecting a job." Is a seeming indirectness an erroneous reason for rejecting an AC?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lonvely!

I can understand your point about answer choice (C) seeming somewhat indirect, but it's sufficient to weaken the argument. So inasmuch as it is indirect, that's not a reason to discount the answer choice.

Here, the wording in the stimulus is key. The economists' claim is about "financial rewards," whereas the next sentence is only about "high salary," and the conclusion is that "This shows that these economists overestimate the degree to which people are motivated by money in their job choices." Answer choice (C) points out that there are other financial rewards besides salary, which undercuts the conclusion. Just because people don't name high salary in the mentioned survey as the most desirable feature of a job doesn't mean that financial rewards don't provide the strongest incentive (e.g., there may be other financial incentives that factor in like stock options).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.