LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Justify the Conclusion—PR. The correct answer choice is (E)

This principle is somewhat complex and that application is not immediately obvious. The principle
can be diagrammed as follows:

No fully qualified candidates already at Arvue :arrow: Hire most productive candidate

A corollary is that when a fully qualified candidate already works at Arvue, this principle offers
no guidance on the hiring decision. That is, the company may decide to hire the most qualified
candidate or hire someone else instead.

The application is unusual in that it does not advocate hiring a certain candidate (the most obvious
application of the above principle). Rather, it suggests that Arvue should not hire Krall. The best
way to conclude that Krall should not be hired is to determine that some other candidate should be
hired instead (in this case, perhaps that most productive candidate). While that candidate need not be
Delacruz, the proper application of the principle does require that Krall is not the most productive
candidate and that none of the fully qualified candidates currently works for Arvue.

Answer choice (A): If all of the candidates are fully qualified (including Krall and Delacruz) and
none of them work for Arvue, then the most productive candidate should be hired. However, we do
not know which candidate is most productive and therefore cannot recommend that Krall should not
be hired.

Answer choice (B): If Delacruz is a fully qualified candidate who already works for Arvue, then the
principle cannot be properly applied here. In fact, the principle should be disregarded and offers no
guidance for the decision. In this case, we cannot correctly conclude that Krall should not be hired.

Answer choice (C): Since we do not know if Krall is a fully qualified candidate, we cannot
determine if the principle is applicable. If Krall is a fully qualified candidate and works for Arvue,
the principle does not apply here. If Krall is not, we still cannot determine if any other fully qualified
candidates work for Arvue and would similarly disqualify the principle from correct application.

Answer choice (D): This answer does not provide enough information to justify the application of
the principle. We need to know whether the other candidate are fully qualified and which candidate
would be most productive in the position.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. Since none of the candidates already works
for Arvue, then none of the fully qualified candidates does, either. Since Delacruz would be most
productive, the principle correctly indicates that Krall should not be hired for the new position.
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,
I did not like any choices in this question at first...am I only the one who feel PT 61's LR is kind of different/harder??
Anyway,
In the principle it does not say it should hire a candidate who would be fully qualified when none of the fully qualified candidates for a new position at AC currently works for the company. It only tell to hire the candidate who would be most productive in that position.
Why in the application it says Delarcuz is fully qualified? Is it necassary? SInce it is not appeared in the principle I thougtht the correct answer will include that, saying something like "XXX+hire the candidate who is fully qualified"
Why is E correct even though it does not include this?

Thank you
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mokkyukkyu wrote:Hi,
I did not like any choices in this question at first...am I only the one who feel PT 61's LR is kind of different/harder??
Anyway,
In the principle it does not say it should hire a candidate who would be fully qualified when none of the fully qualified candidates for a new position at AC currently works for the company. It only tell to hire the candidate who would be most productive in that position.
Why in the application it says Delarcuz is fully qualified? Is it necassary? SInce it is not appeared in the principle I thougtht the correct answer will include that, saying something like "XXX+hire the candidate who is fully qualified"
Why is E correct even though it does not include this?

Thank you

Hi there,

So the conditional relationship in this stimulus breaks down to If there are no fully qualified candidates working at Arvue, then Arvue will hire the candidate who will be most productive in that position.

It can be diagrammed like this:

Hired Most Productive ---> No Fully Qualified Candidates at Arvue

In the application, the author states that Arvue should not hire Krall for the new position, because Delacruz is a candidate and is fully qualified. Let's look at the different ways this application could satisfy the principle.

If Delacruz works for Arvue, but Krall does not.

If Krall and Delacruz both work for Arvue, but Delacruz is the only fully qualified candidate.

If Krall works for Arvue, but Delacruz does not, and Krall (along with any other candidate working for Arvue) is not fully qualified, and Delacruz is the candidate who would be most productive in the new position.

If none of the candidates work for Arvue, and Delacruz is the candidate who would be most productive in the new position.

So in the first two possibilities we would need to know that Delacruz is fully qualified. However since this is already stated in the application, it would not need to be restated in the answer choice.

I hope this helps.

~Shannon
 fg6118
|
Wouldn't it be diagrammed as No Fully Qualified Candidates at Arvue ---> Hired Most Productive ?
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi fg6118,

You are correct; it should be:

~fully qualified candidates who work for Arview :arrow: hire most productive.

I think that is what Shannon meant to say. Thanks for watching out!
 15veries
|
Hi,

I'M not sure why B is wrong. I feel like B and E are saying the same thing.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi 15veries,

Can you walk us through what your approach was to this question, how you understood the stimulus, and what you think B and E are saying? That will help us tailor the answer to you!
 bk1111
|
Hello. I am similarly confused about what B is saying. From my understanding, B is including Delacruz as a candidate who does not already work at Arvue. Is it incorrect because it does not supply information about if he is fully qualified and also does not mention the status of Krall?
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi bk1111 and 15veries,

The principle described in the stimulus says that if none of the qualified candidates work for Arvue Corp, they should hire the most productive candidate. We do not know who should be hired if the field of qualified candidates includes both Arvue employees and non-Arvue employees.

Answer choice (B) implies that some of the candidates work for Arvue, and some do not. The principle outlined in the stimulus doesn't tell us what to do when some of the candidates work for Arvue, so we can't select answer choice (B) as a correct answer.

By contrast, answer choice (E) tells us that none of the qualified candidates work for Arvue. This tells us that we're in a scenario where the principle in the stimulus applies. From here, we know that the most productive candidate should be hired. Answer choice (E) goes on to say that Delacruz is the most productive candidate. So it follows that any candidate other than Delacruz -- such as Krall -- should not get the job.

I hope this helps clarify things. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton
 lsatnoobie
|
How exactly does the language in B imply that it's possible some do work for Arvue? Any help would be appreciated thank you so much!
AthenaDalton wrote:Hi bk1111 and 15veries,

The principle described in the stimulus says that if none of the qualified candidates work for Arvue Corp, they should hire the most productive candidate. We do not know who should be hired if the field of qualified candidates includes both Arvue employees and non-Arvue employees.

Answer choice (B) implies that some of the candidates work for Arvue, and some do not. The principle outlined in the stimulus doesn't tell us what to do when some of the candidates work for Arvue, so we can't select answer choice (B) as a correct answer.

By contrast, answer choice (E) tells us that none of the qualified candidates work for Arvue. This tells us that we're in a scenario where the principle in the stimulus applies. From here, we know that the most productive candidate should be hired. Answer choice (E) goes on to say that Delacruz is the most productive candidate. So it follows that any candidate other than Delacruz -- such as Krall -- should not get the job.

I hope this helps clarify things. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.