LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning—CE. The correct answer choice is (D)

Remember that on the LSAT, you are generally expected to accept the author’s premises and focus
instead on the relationship between those premises and the conclusion. There are two premises
here: first, geologists discovered what appear to be worm tracks in a piece of sandstone. Second, the
marks predate the earliest known traces of multicellular life by several hundred million years. The
author thus concludes that the marks are more likely to be the result of geological processes than of
worms. This follows from the assumption that the true origin of multicellular life is unlikely to be
significantly earlier than the earliest known traces. This assumption leads the author to suggest an
alternate cause for the marks, which we are asked to weaken.

Answer choice (A): There are at least two issues with this answer. First of all, the argument is not
dependent on estimating the precise age of a piece of sandstone, since the sandstone could be 300
or 400 million years younger and still be too old for the author to accept it as evidence of previously
unknown life. Second, even if the sandstone is misdated, does that make the author’s attribution of
the marks to geological processes less likely or plausible? Geological processes would be a possible
explanation in various timeframes, so changing the age of the sandstone does not weaken the
author’s explanation.

Answer choice (B): If (B) is true, then geological processes are a viable explanation for marks found
in even older pieces of sandstone than the one from the stimulus. If such processes were active
before this piece of sandstone was marked, then they are more likely to have been active when the
sandstone was marked. This does nothing to weaken the author’s argument.

Answer choice (C): This answer is subject to the same assumption as the original premise. For some
unclear reason, the author thinks that life probably did not exist well before the earliest known traces
of life demonstrate. With that assumption, it is irrelevant whether the marks could be confused for
some life form other than a worm, since the author assumes that there were no life forms at all when
the marks were made. (C) does not help weaken the author’s argument.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. The author argues that an alternate cause
accounts for the marks. A good way to attack an alternate cause is to show it to be unlikely or
impossible given the other premises. Answer choice (D) suggests that geological processes cannot
explain the marks since they did not occur at the time and place when the marks were formed. This
weakens the argument and is the correct answer.

Answer choice (E): This answer shows why traces of worm activity are difficult to find, but does
not explain why these marks should be considered evidence of worm activity rather than geological
processes. If anything, (E) would make it easier to believe that the marks are not from worms since
“evidence of their earliest existence is scarce”.
 allisonellen7
|
Okay, this problem really has me confused and frustrated, so I apologize in advance for the long post. Basically, I feel that C and E are stronger than D. C undermines the idea that geological processes made the marks (which is part of the conclusion) by stating that other early life forms could have made the marks; just because MULTICELLULAR ANIMAL life has only been traced to as early as half a billion years later does not mean that some other early life form, which is known to make similar marks, did not exist at that time. Even E seems stronger to me than D. Worms are likely to have been among the earliest forms of multicellular animal life and evidence of them is scarce, so they could have existed before the earliest known traces. Finally and most importantly, D seems like a very weak answer because it says "AT THE PLACE WHERE THE SANDSTONE WAS FOUND." Is it not possible that in billions of years, this piece of sandstone could have moved????? I have seen this exact point in other questions be the reason to eliminate a wrong answer choice, so this is extremely frustrating to me!! Thank you so much for your help, and I apologize again for my long post and frustration!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Allison Ellen,

I think with C, you actually do have to bring in some knowledge from outside the question, or make an assumption, to understand why C is incorrect, which generally I know we discourage people from doing! But in this case, I think it is a completely logical assumption that tracks that look like worm marks were not made by SINGLE cell organisms, and C also doesn't say anything about whether those other early were or were not multicellular organisms. It is meant to be an attractive answer, but it is not stronger than D.

Though E specifies that worms may have been AMONG the earliest forms, it certainly doesn't say worms definitely existed before other multicellular life forms that we do have traces of - therefore, we can't assume that worms were around earlier than the stimulus suggests.

For D, the stimulus does not give any indication at all that it is even possible the sandstone moved, and so in the world of the LSAT, it didn't. D may not be a PERFECT answer, but it is the BEST answer of the ones given.

This can definitely be a frustrating question. Let me know if this helped at all.
 allisonellen7
|
Yes, that helps a lot!! Especially to see why C and E are wrong. Thank you so much!
 Sambenz
|
After reading the original explanations I have a couple things to add.

Firstly, In the original post the administrator explains that C is wrong because the author assumes that there was no life when the marks were made. However, on reading the stimulus, the author only states that there was no multicellular life. Worms are multicellular, but non-multicellular life forms (bacteria, protists etc.) could have made those marks and would still work within the author's assumptions.

I think the true reason C is wrong is because the author's conclusion states that geological processes probably made the marks, and definitively not worms. To weaken the argument there needs to be evidence to show that worms may have done it, or that it likely wasn't geological processes. This answer doesn't prove worms did it, and doesn't tell you that it likely wasn't geological processes.

I originally chose E, but I see that the reason I went wrong was because didn't take the author's statement about multicellular life as a given.
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sam,

Sounds like you're on the right track. One other consideration I would point out with regards to (C) is that it doesn't address the timing issue that is at the heart of the author's argument. The author is saying that the marks were made long before the earliest known traces of multi-cellular animal life, so therefore the marks are probably the result of geological processes. (C) says that there are other life forms that left similar markings, but we have no idea if these early life forms were around when the marks were made.

If (C) had also mentioned that the early life forms were around long before the earliest known traces of multi-cellular animal life, it would be a stronger contender. But as it stands, (C) doesn't do the best job of weakening this stimulus because it doesn't address this timing issue.
 Fillingoutbubbles
|
There's a typo in choice C -- the second "forms" should be "worms"
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Fillingoutbubbles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am There's a typo in choice C -- the second "forms" should be "worms"
Hi Fillingoutbubbles,

Great catch! We've updated that. :-D
 Fillingoutbubbles
|
Stephanie Oswalt wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:49 am
Fillingoutbubbles wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am There's a typo in choice C -- the second "forms" should be "worms"
Hi Fillingoutbubbles,

there's also a typo on 4B in the experimental section of PT 76, but I can't find a forum about the experimental section
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Fillingoutbubbles wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:08 pm
Stephanie Oswalt wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:49 am
Hi Fillingoutbubbles,

there's also a typo on 4B in the experimental section of PT 76, but I can't find a forum about the experimental section
Thanks for that heads up! I fixed that one as well :).

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.