LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanations

Resolve the ParadoxX. The correct answer choice is (D)

The first sentence establishes that there has been no change in the frequency of quotes by newspaper
journalists in support of flawed claims (e.g., “as often now as in the past”). An apparent paradox
results from the expectation that journalists ought to be as likely to challenge dubious claims as
they used to be, but they have apparently become less likely to do so. The question stem asks you to
identify an answer which does not help explain why journalists would use dubious as often as ever
but challenge them less often.

Answer choice (A): If (A) is true, journalists would have decreased incentive to challenge dubious
claims. The prospect of losing customers whose views have been disputed would certainly
discourage journalists from questioning unsupported or flawed claims.

Answer choice (B): If (B) is true, newspaper journalists may simply be unable to recognize which
claims are flawed or unsupported. By inference from (B), previous journalists could specialize in
certain areas of knowledge and have an increased likelihood spotting dubious claims in those areas.
Current journalists encounter and report a similar number of bad claims, but do not know enough to
challenge them.

Answer choice (C): Answer choice (C) suggests that the number of bad claims being made may
not have changed, but the venues for those claims have changed. In the past, dubious claims made
to a neutral reporter were more likely to be challenged than such claims made to a reporter who is
already sympathetic to those views.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If creating debate over controversial issues
draws attention (as this answer suggests), journalists would have an added incentive to challenge
claims, dubious or otherwise. In fact, this answer might provide an incentive to increasingly report
and challenge unsupported or false claims, neither of which is happening according to the stimulus.
Thus, answer choice (D) does not help to explain the trend and is the correct answer.

Answer choice (E): Much like answer choice (A), this answer would discourage challenging dubious
claims. For that matter, answer choice (E) would discourage challenging any claims, as a reasonable
journalist would strive to avoid criticism.
 z.em
|
Hello, I was having some trouble understanding why answer choice B would help explain the trend in journalism? I thought it was out of the scope; and therefore, chose it.

Thank you !
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
z.em wrote:Hello, I was having some trouble understanding why answer choice B would help explain the trend in journalism? I thought it was out of the scope; and therefore, chose it.

Thank you !

Hello z.em,

Answer B, "The areas of knowledge on which journalists report are growing in specialization and diversity, while journalists themselves are not becoming more broadly knowledgeable", shows that it might be difficult for journalists to challenge claims successfully. E.g., if a journalist reports on quantum physics, but does not have a degree in that field, it might be difficult for him/her to challenge the veracity of a claim about that field.

Hope this helps,
David
 Khodi7531
|
So D to me was confusing and I didn't circle it (but I did put a marking next to it of my thoughts on it). I wasn't sure exactly if it was said with a negative connotation but it seemed like it could have been. "controversial issues draws the attention" and I thought that they wouldn't want to 'stir the pot' to get people to talk about this when they can be called out for it being bogus.

I get how "it's still generating convo" and could be seen as a good thing...but I saw it as also a negative and couldn't find myself confident to circle it. I went with C because I just didn't get what it was saying and thought maybe it's that but again I still wasn't confident. I just consciously got rid of D with that thought process.

Any thoughts on this and how I can avoid this?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Given that this is a Resolve-Except question, khodi, you should be delighted to select an answer that could go either way! If it is subject to interpretation, and might help or might not, then it doesn't resolve the paradox but leaves us wondering and wishing for more information. Perfect!

Answer D actually makes the situation worse, rather than resolving it, because newspaper journalists want to sell newspapers, and drawing attention is the way to do it. But that's besides the point - the point is that without more info about whether that attention is a good or bad thing, that answer clearly doesn't resolve the issue.

Answer C resolves the paradox because it means there is less chance today that the reporter in question will disagree with the person they quoted, and so they will be less likely to challenge their position. Perhaps a certain political leader might only give interviews to a certain TV show host who has sworn his loyalty to that leader and who routinely shows complete bias in that leader's favor and against all dissent, with not even a pretense of fairness or balance? That could explain why the so-called journalist might not be inclined to challenge that leader's outrageous lies and baseless accusations.

Not that anything like that ever happens.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.