LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning, SN. The correct answer choice is (B)

The stimulus features conditional reasoning, which is identifiable by the use of the necessary condition indicator “only if” in the third sentence. The argument has the following structure:
  • ..... ..... LW = Liquid Water
    ..... ..... LE = Life Evolves

Premise: ..... LWEuropa

Premise: ..... LE ..... :arrow: ..... LW

Conclusion: ..... LEEuropa (likely)
In light of the data suggesting that there are oceans of liquid water under the ice of Europa, the journalist considers it likely that some primitive life has evolved on Europa. Her rationale is that life can only evolve in the presence of liquid water. You should immediately recognize that this argumentation takes the form of a Mistaken Reversal: just because a there is strong evidence that a condition necessary for life to evolve has been met does not establish that life is likely to evolve. It is quite possible that there are other requirements for a planet to support life, such as an adequate energy source or other geophysical and geochemical criteria.

Note that even though the journalist qualifies her conclusion with the word “likely,” her argument is still flawed, because satisfying a condition necessary for a certain event to occur only ensures that the event can occur, not that it is likely to occur. Because the author mistakes a necessary condition for a sufficient condition, the correct answer choice will probably use at least one of these key words (or their synonyms) to describe the error in conditional reasoning. This gives savvy test takers an advantage: if you identify a stimulus with conditional reasoning and are asked a Flaw question, quickly scan the answers and identify those that contain such key words as “sufficient,” “necessary,” or both. Although this approach may not eliminate all four incorrect answers, it usually helps narrow down the number of possible contenders.

Answer choice (A): At first glance, this seems to be an attractive answer, since it does focus on the conditional aspect of this argument and uses the word “necessary,” which we expect to find in the correct answer. However, upon close inspection you should notice that this answer choice does not describe a Mistaken Reversal, but the contrapositive: if a condition is necessary for the evolution of life (liquid water), then life cannot evolve if this condition is not met (i.e. if there is no liquid water). This is a classic description of a contrapositive statement, and does not describe a Flaw in the reasoning.

Remember—although the word “necessary” makes this answer choice attractive, test makers often exploit what students perceive to be “shortcuts” and turn them into traps. To avoid falling into this one, you must prephrase and look for an answer describing a Mistaken Reversal. Although it would be acceptable to flag answer choice (A) as a contender, make sure to read all five answers before making your choice. Ultimately, only (A) and (B) contain the key words we are looking for (“sufficient,” “necessary”), and a more careful comparison between the two reveals that (B) contains the proper description of a Mistaken Reversal, whereas (A) describes a logically valid argument.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. By confusing a necessary condition for a sufficient one, the journalist ignores the possibility that liquid water may not be the only condition necessary for the evolution of life. If other requirements need to be met before a planet can support life, then having liquid water on Europa does little to increase the likelihood that primitive life has evolved there.

Note that there are multiple ways to describe the same flaw in conditional reasoning. Compare the following examples, all of which amount to the same description of a Mistaken Reversal:
  • The author treats something that is necessary for bringing about a state of affairs as something that is sufficient to bring about a state of affairs.

From the assertion that something is necessary for the evolution of life, the journalist concludes that the same thing is sufficient to ensure the evolution of life.

The journalist takes for granted that if a condition is necessary for the evolution of life, satisfying that condition alone increases the likelihood that life would evolve.

Because there are so many ways to describe a conditional reasoning flaw, it is important to prephrase an answer describing a Mistaken Reversal but keep an open mind—do not let yourself get “boxed in” by the exact language of your prephrase.

Answer choice (C): The stimulus contains no evidence suggesting that life is likely to be present on Europa if, but only if, life evolved on Europa. Both the premise and the conclusion focus on the conditions necessary (or sufficient) for life to evolve on Europa, not whether such evolution is a necessary or a sufficient condition for life to be present there.

Answer choice (D): The journalist does not overlook the possibility that there could be unfamiliar forms of life that have evolved without the presence of liquid water. If true, this possibility would only increase the likelihood that life has evolved on Europa, with or without liquid water. Furthermore, because the journalist qualified her premise with the phrase “life as we know it,” the possibility that some other life forms do not depend on water is consistent with it.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice implies that the data transmitted by the spacecraft does not necessarily indicate the presence of liquid water, as other conditions could potentially account for such data. Although there may be room for other interpretations of the data, the factual premise on which the author depends strongly suggests that liquid water is present. Questioning the factual validity of any premise is rarely an appropriate strategy on the LSAT, and does not capture the main problem in this argument.
 Sherry001
|
Hello ,
I feel like the correct answer choice describes this flaw as mistaking a necessary for a saufficant . But I didn't pick that up in the argument. Because the author concludes "likely " which is not a conditional statement.

Here is how I approached the question.

1- Europa is covered with ice, but recent data suggests there is liquid under the ice.
2- life as we know it could evolve --> in the presence of liquid water.
Conclusion : it's likely that life has evolved in Europa.

My analysis: well the author seems to be assuming that life in Europa evolved because of water. Well there was I ice there too, so how do we know it wasn't because of the ice.

A) the author doesn't take this for granted, it's a contrapositive of his statement .
B) yep , matches my prephrase . How do I know it wasn't the ice that made life possible.
C)I have no idea why this is a bi conditional statement. Author said likely... And the presence of life was sufficient , and depended on the existence of liquid water.
D)we only care about life as we know it.
E)author never says that's the only way data could transmite bla bla.

Thanks so much .
Sherry
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sherry,

Indeed, an error of conditional reasoning was made in the stimulus. If the sufficient condition happens, the necessary condition must happen. If the necessary happens, we have no idea how necessary, probable, or possible the sufficient condition is. Thus, to say it's "likely" is saying more than the condition says. It's trying to make a connection in the opposite direction, which is a Mistaken Reversal.

We don't in the stimulus have evidence that life exists. Only one necessary condition has been fulfilled for life to exist in the first place, and nothing says that the existence of life is confirmed. Thus, saying "how do we know it wasn't because of the ice" misses the mark - there is no confirmed life to explain.

Your evaluation of answer choice (A) is correct.

Obviously, answer choice (B) is correct and you got it.

Answer choice (C) is an incorrect answer choice. The biconditional is just information not contained in the stimulus, so it's there just to distract. The author never says it.

Answer choice (D) is incorrect because, of course, the author does not make a mistake of overlooking this irrelevant possibility.

Finally, your evaluation of answer choice (E) is correct!

Robert Carroll
 Bahar
|
HI,
I understand the flaw in the argument but I picked up A :(
To me there shouldn't be any other condition because the argument says life evolve only in the presence of liquid water.
Can someone help me with that?

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The reason that A is incorrect, Bahar, is that it describes a valid contrapositive rather than a flaw of conditional reasoning like the Mistaken Reversal that happened in the stimulus.

The stimulus, somewhat simplified is "Life requires water; there is probably water so there is probably life." The necessary condition of water is present, and the author acts as if that proves the sufficient condition, life, is also present. That's a classic error in conditional reasoning.

Answer A describes something else. In A, the author says that if a condition (water) is necessary for life to evolve, then when that condition is absent (no water) life could not evolve. That's correct!

Stimulus: Life :arrow: Water
Answer A: Water :arrow: Life

Since this is a valid statement, it doesn't constitute a flaw in the reasoning, and so cannot be the correct answer.

That's a trick they like to pull on us once in a while - a conditional flaw, and one answer describes that flaw in a very confusing way (as B did) while another gives us a clear description of a contrapositive, and we get drawn to it because it is both conditional and clear. If it's valid, it's not a flaw - don't fall for that trap!

Keep at it, Bahar!
 kch0522
|
Hi - I'm struggling to understand why D is incorrect. Here's my reasoning...

If there are other forms of life that can evolve without the presence of water, then it makes it less likely that life evolved on Europa, no? Put another way, this suggests (to me) that water isn't the foundation/bedrock of life, which means that primitive life may not have necessarily evolved on Europa with it there. Water doesn't guarantee life!

I was torn between B and D but went with D, since there isn't explicitly conditional language in the stimulus. The third sentence says "...evolve only IN the presence..." not "..."evolve only IF the presence...".

If the only if indicator was in the stimulus, I might've picked D instead.

Tricky question!

Many thanks,
Kyle
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kyle!

As stated in the explanation above, the author does not actually overlook the possibility that there could be unfamiliar forms of life that have evolved without the presence of liquid water. He specifies that it's "life as we know it" that depends on liquid water. And if unfamiliar forms of life could evolve without the presence of liquid water, that would only strengthen his conclusion that it is likely that life as evolved on Europa.

Remember that the term "only" by itself is a necessary indicator! It doesn't need to have the "if" after it to make it a conditional indicator. So that second-to-last sentence is definitely conditional. "Only" modifies the presence of water, telling us that the presence of water is necessary for life. The flaw comes when the author takes the presence of water on Europa as sufficient to prove that life has evolved there. The author has done a Mistaken Reversal, a classic conditional flaw.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.