LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (C)

The discussion comes from an astronomer, who presents some seemingly paradoxical information,
and also claims to have the solution. Earlier estimates of some stars’ distance from Earth would
dictate that some stars are roughly a billion years older than the universe itself, which of course
is impossible. The astronomer believes that these stars are much farther away from the Earth than
previously estimated, meaning that these stars also must be much brighter than previously thought.
These newer estimates, we are told, help to resolve the apparent paradox that resulted from the older
estimates.

This is a unique Resolve the Paradox question, in that the Astronomer actually provides the
resolution, and our task is to determine how the new information helps to solve the prior paradox.
As we know, earlier approximations had to have overestimated the age of certain stars, because
there is no way that any star in the universe could be older than the universe. This tells us that the
Astronomers’ more recent estimates must either:
  • I. Estimate those stars to be younger than previously thought; or

II. Estimate the universe to be older than previously thought.
Since the new information provided concerns the distance of the stars from the Earth, and their
brightness, the astronomer’s resolution of the issue is more likely to deal with the age of the stars,
which means that the new information in some way points to those stars’ being younger than
previously believed.

Answer choice (A): The paradox under discussion deals with the issue of stars within the universe
that appear to be a billion years older than the universe itself. Even if the stars under discussion are
the oldest objects discovered so far, this would not allow them to be older than the universe.

Answer choice (B): The paradox discussed in the stimulus could be solved either by estimating
the stars to be younger than previously thought, or by approximating the universe to be older than
previously estimated. This choice, which might support the notion of a younger universe, would
actually worsen the original paradox: the stars discussed had already been believed to be older than
the universe itself, so if the universe is actually younger than previously believed, this would make
for an even greater age gap, and stars that are even more than a billion years older than the universe.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. If it is true that the brighter a star is, the
younger it is, then the astronomer’s more recent approximations, which estimate the stars to be
farther away and brighter than previously thought, would also point to the stars’ being younger than
previously thought. This of course helps to resolve the issue of the stars’ appearing to have been
older than the universe itself.

Answer choice (D): In the stimulus the astronomer alludes to this point with the words, “given their
appearance to us on Earth.” Since this choice provides no new information, it cannot possibly explain
how the paradox has been resolved.

Answer choice (E): This choice would help to explain how astronomers might see such stars, but
provides no resolution to the paradox of stars which in the past had been estimated to predate the
universe itself.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello,

So I came to the right answer on this one through process of elimination.

A is incorrect because whether they are the oldest doesn't help us explain why the stars are younger.
B is incorrect because we are not concerned with how old or young the universe is.
D is incorrect b/c the distance the observer is doesnt explain the earlier estimate and the author's estimate.
E is incorrect b/c it is out of scope.....telescopes dont have anything to do with the argument.

So I wanted to make sure that my diagram was correct, since this is a resolve question correct?

Conclusion: new estimates of these stars' distances from Earth help to resolve the earlier conflict b/w ages of these stars and the ages of the universe.

Earlier estimates: Stars about 1 billion years older than universe.
Author's estimate: stars are much farther away than previously thought and brighter.

C . helps to explain both the estimates.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

This is actually a very tricky question, and I must admit - when I first solved it, I also resorted to the process of elimination to get it right :-)

[Admin edit- Full explanation was moved to top of thread]

Good job analyzing these answers :-) Tough question indeed!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.