LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox—#%. The correct answer choice is (A)

Numbers and Percentages questions can often be quite difficult, and the final question presented in
this section is no exception. Here, the author discusses a recent poll which yielded results that seem
to be somewhat contradictory: based on the results of the poll, slightly less than 50% of the residents
of the city believe Mayor Walker to be guilty of ethics violations (meaning that just over half the
city’s residents do not believe Walker to be guilty of ethics violations). The author goes on to say
that 52% of respondents judged the mayor’s performance as good or excellent. The surprising fact
is that his performance rating has not gone down since the ethics violation accusations were made—
normally one would expect such accusations to drive down a politician’s approval ratings among the
electorate.

The question that follows is a Resolve the Paradox question, which means that we must locate the
answer choice that is consistent with the apparently discrepant poll results. The correct answer
choice will explain how it is possible that the mayor’s performance rating has not decreased as a
result of accusations of ethics violations.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The paradox here is the fact that the
mayor’s popularity numbers did not decrease as a result of ethics violations accusations. If the vast
majority of those who believe the accusations were already against the mayor, then those accusations
would not have changed their votes.

For example, let say that the city in question is a community of 100 people, and 48 people believe
the mayor to be guilty of the ethics violations. If all 48 disliked Walker to begin with, then nothing
would change in the polls:

Before ethics violation accusations: 52 pro-Walker, 48 against.
After ethics violation accusations: 52 pro-Walker, 48 against.

Since this choice explains how the ethics violations didn’t affect Walker’s poll numbers, it is the
correct answer to this Resolve the Paradox question.

Answer choice (B): This choice does not resolve the paradox—if anything it expands it. If people
have recently begun thinking that the other candidates are great, we would have an even greater
expectation of a drop in Walker’s poll numbers.

Answer choice (C): If a fifth of those polled were not aware of the ethics violation accusations, that
means that four fifths of those surveyed were aware. This does not resolve the paradox, which is that
Walker’s poll numbers have not dropped despite the accusations.

Answer choice (D): Again, the paradox from the stimulus is that Walker’s popularity has not gone
down despite recent ethics violation accusations. This choice provides that groups are rallying in
support of Walker’s opponents, so the paradox still exists—with such groups’ supporting the other
side, one would reasonably expect Walker’s popularity to decrease.

Answer choice (E): Walker’s specific claims are not relevant, because the stimulus provided that
almost half of the city’s residents believe Walker to be guilty.
 gabs.baker
|
Hello! I'm having trouble understanding how to break down this question and get to the correct answer. I immediately eliminated C and D, but was left with A, B and E as contenders. I guessed answer choice E due to the 35 minutes coming to an end, but after reviewing the correct answer choice A, I still have no idea why it's correct! I just don't see the connection between the mayor being guilty of ethics violations and his performance being good/poor, or how that answer is superior to the others.

Any help would be great! Thanks,

Gabs
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey gabs,

Thanks for the question!

This is a Resolve the Paradox question, where we need to provide information to show how it's possible that half the town believe's the mayor is guilty of ethics violations, and yet half the town also still believes he's doing a good job. What's interesting about the way the question presents those facts is that it makes it seem like the violations were just recently revealed (people just learned of them) and so it should be the case that he has less support that 52%...but think about how it could be the case that he has that much support. We know only about half of the people think he's guilty, so what if the other half, the ones who think he's innocent are the ones who support him? Then it would make sense that he'd have 52% support: those are the people who don't believe he's unethical.

And that's exactly what answer choice (A) tells us! Basically it means that those who think he's guilty are the same ones who don't think he's doing a good job, meaning you'd only have about half left who do. The 52% support group. In other words, the ethics violations don't make a difference, because the people who believe that they happened already disliked the mayor.

I hope that helps explain it a bit better!
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

Can someone please explain why D is the incorrect answer. Wouldnt this explain why 52 % still hold a favorable view of Walker' performance.

A response would be greatly appreciated so that I can better go over my tests.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Sarah, happy to oblige. What is that about answer D that makes you think it helps resolve the paradox here? D tells us that there are some folks who are trying to get Walker's opponent elected. What does that tell us about almost half the population believing he has done something unethical while a little more than half think he's doing a great job?

D might tell us something about why almost half the folks think he's done something wrong, but only if we give that answer a lot of help. We would have to add something like "and these groups have been spreading the word about Walker's ethics complaints" or something like that. Even then, though, this answer would tell us nothing about why 52% of folks still think he's so great.

A Resolve answer must address both sides of the paradox, bringing them together in a way that allows us to say "oh, that explains how both of things could be true." An answer that fails to address both sides of the paradox is always going to be a loser, and an answer that, without help, addresses neither side (like answer D here) is a double loser.

Answer A is the best answer here. A says, in a nutshell, that the folks that didn't like him before haven't changed their minds, and the ones that did like him before haven't changed their minds either. Maybe he's stood at 48% negative, 52% positive all along.

I hope that clears things up! Please do share your thoughts on answer D, though, if you need further help with it.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello Adam

Okay, so I was reasoning that D was correct b/c, it would explain those %52 of people surveyed rated Walker's performance good or excellent. But, I can see why this answer would not resolve the paradox, because like you said it doesn't address the the other half of the city's residents who believe that Walker is guilty of ethics violations.

Thankyou for your explanations, they're helping a great deal.

Sarah
 studyhelp20
|
Hello Power Score Support Staff,

Can you please provide an explanation of the correct answer to this problem for me? thanks

Sincerely,
Brennan
 pdhaliwal97
|
Hi Brennan, I'm not a Powerscore staff but I came up with my own explanation for why A is the correct answer so I thought I would share, in case it helps you!

The stimulus says a) half of the city's residents from a recent poll believe Walker is guilty of ethics violations and b) 52% of those surveyed judged his performance as mayor to be excellent or good, which isn't lower than before they knew about the ethics violations.

So how can half of the residents say he's guilty of the violations and 52% think he's a good mayor AND the percentage is not lower than before they knew (i.e., dislike towards him did not increase)?

Answer choice (A) says that "Almost all of the people who believe that Walker is guilty of ethics violations had thought, even before he was accused of those violations, that his performance as mayor was poor."

What I understood from that is the people who are on the opposite end of the spectrum from thinking he is an excellent mayor, i.e., the people who think his performance as mayor is poor, are also the people who think he's guilty. So if they are the same group, the percentage does not increase.

Again, this is just my thought process so I could be wrong.

Hope this is helpful,
Prabhdeep
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
studyhelp20 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:33 am Hello Power Score Support Staff,

Can you please provide an explanation of the correct answer to this problem for me? thanks

Sincerely,
Brennan
Hi Brennan,

I have moved your post to the full explanation of this question. Please review the above, and let us know if that helps, or if you have any questions! Thanks!
 Christmaspuppy
|
Hi!Could anyone explain why C is incorrect? If 20% don't know about the accusation, that could explain why they still vote for him. If they knew, they would vote against him, and left 32% there. That could explain why there are no decrease. In fact, the popularity decreased, it just looks like it's not because some people don't know about the accusation. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.