LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ngreen221
|
Hello PS,

I had the correct answer,B, as a contender but I answered A instead. I understand why B works, but may I have an explanation for why A doesn't resolve the paradox?

Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ngreen,

On any resolve the paradox question, the key is to figure out what two facts don’t seem to work together in the stimulus. What’s the paradox? Where’s the conflict?

Fact 1: During the heat wave, overload of the energy grid by heavy air conditioner use caused blackouts

Fact 2: Even if residence cut back on air conditioner use, the black outs will probably continue until the heat wave abates.

How can those both be true? If heavy air conditioner use was causing the black outs, wouldn’t it help for residents to cut back on the air conditioning? We need to find something that says that the residents aren’t the problem. There must be someone else that uses air conditioning. That’s answer choice (B), which you stated makes sense. Good.

Let’s look at answer choice (A). This answer choice attacks one of the facts in the stimulus, but doesn’t show how both facts could be true at the same time. It says there are other significant drains on the power system, other than air conditioning. But that does nothing to explain why, if air conditioning is the cause of the current blackouts, residential reduction in air conditioning use wouldn’t help the blackouts. We need something that addresses that specific paradox, not a solution for blackouts or power issues generally.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.