LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is A.

This is an especially tricky Main Point question, not least because there is not a single sentence in the passage that can convincingly be isolated as the sole main point of the passage. Moreover, this author has a tendency to move back and forth between highly specific and more general language. So it's not always clear what the author means to convey to the reader. However, keeping a close eye on certain context clues will eventually determine that the author's primary concern in the passage is to answer a rather narrow and specific question about how copyright law should treat Internet links to documents, where the person providing the link is not the owner of the document.

The first paragraph provides a key context clue for the author's overall concern. It says that the World Wide Web "raises
legal issues about the rights of owners of intellectual property, notably those who create documents for inclusion on Web pages." Thus, right from the start we get the sense that the author is "notably" concerned about specific owners of intellectual property, those who create documents to be placed on web pages.

The author's focus remains on those specific owners in paragraph two, where the author gives details about the process of linking to documents on the web, and concludes the paragraph with a legal question that indicates the specific "legal issue" about which the author is most concerned: "If person A, the author of a document, puts the document on a Web page, and person B, the creator of another Web page, creates a link to A’s document, is B committing copyright infringement?"

The answer to this text question is the reason the author is writing. The author actually answers this question in a very oblique way (using general terms that are not as clear as we might like) in the final sentence of the passage, by stating that "Changing copyright law to benefit owners of intellectual property is thus ill-advised." Again, we have to rely on the context provided by the passage to understand the substance of this answer. Who are the owners? Go back to paragraph one, where they're identified as the ones who create documents to put on web pages (that other people link to). What would changing the law to benefit those owners entail? Again, go back to paragraph one, where those same owners are arguing that "unless copyright law is strengthened [i.e. changed], intellectual property on the Web [i.e. the documents they place on web pages] will not be protected from copyright infringement." Now we can fully understand the final sentence of the passage: the author is saying that we should not strengthen copyright law to protect those who place documents on web pages that other people link to. In other words, copyright law should not stop people from linking to other people's documents on the web. This is our prephrase, and it is best matched by answer choice A.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed above, this answer choice best fits the author's narrow concern throughout the passage, which is limited to what copyright law should do about people linking to documents placed on the web by the owners of those documents. Copyright law should not interfere with this process of linking, as the last sentence of the passage (read contextually) makes clear.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is too broad to be the main point, moreoever it refers to information the author of the passage does not discuss, specifically what is "necessary in a democracy."

Answer choice (C): Answer choice C runs counter to what the passage states. The passage states that the owner of a document may restrict access to it (e.g. through the use of passwords), but the author of the passage does not believe that such restriction may be accomplished "without inhibiting the rights of others to exchange ideas freely." Rather, the author believes such restriction "would compromise the openness of the Web somewhat, but not as much as the threat of copyright infringement litigation."

Answer choice (D): Answer choice D sweeps far too broadly in its terminology. The passage is about one specific problem (linking to documents) created in the context of one specific form of electronic media (the World Wide Web), not about any "problems" created by any "new forms of electronic media." Moreover, the author does not clearly argue for the easy resolution of the problem using "basic commonsense principles" (a notion the author never discusses).

Answer choice (E): The language of answer choice E is generally far too exaggerated to fit the author's perspective. For example, the author never discusses "radical alteration of copyright laws aimed at restricting the Web’s growth." Rather the author discusses certain alteration of copyright laws that might have the effect of restricting the Web's growth (without saying that anyone is actually "aiming at" restricting such growth). Furthermore, the author's statements do not support answer choice E's reference to the benefit of free expression "far outweigh[ing]" the benefits of altering copyright law.
 moshei24
|
When doing this question, I was thinking that a main point the passage was that copyright laws would be a bad idea because it would limit the capabilities of the internet. I do see that choice (A) deals with the main issue that's discussed in the passage, but is that always the main point in the passage? Is it always the main thing that's discussed, as opposed to the conclusion that comes out of it?

Can someone explain this to me, please?

Thanks!

-Moshe
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think your prephrase was a good one, and I also think that answer A does, in a way, encompass that prephrase, moshei. Keep in mind that the author is not arguing that there should be no copyright laws - rather, he is arguing that they should not be changed or expanded to prohibit links in web pages. Answer A includes the idea that links in webpages should not be considered copyright infringement.

I think your prephrase could use a little more detail to it, to include that the discussion mainly focused on links in webpages. If you were going to tell someone who had not read this passage what it was about, you wouldn't just say it was an argument against strengthening copyright laws, would you? You would include in your explanation that such laws should not restrict placing links on web pages, since that was the bulk of the justification for the conclusion.

I do think that when a passage focuses so clearly on one topic, and then draws a conclusion about that topic, that the main point must mention that topic and not just the conclusion.

Hope that helped.

Adam
 saranash1
|
I guessed answer E because it seems a great deal of emphasis is placed on this subject.
How do I determine that A is the main point?

If there is a question in a passage is the answer to that question going to be the main point?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Saranash1,

Тhe mere presence of a question in the passage does not, by itself, guarantee that the answer to that question will be the main point. It often is, however, especially if most of the passage is devoted to providing the answer to that particular question. Such is the case here: The author questions whether a link to someone's document on the internet is a copyright infringement, and the last paragraph (which contains the central argument of the passage) provides a definitive answer - it is not. This is why (A) is the credited response.

Answer choice (E) contains an exaggeration ("far outweigh") and does not address directly the central question of the passage.

Hope this helps!
 saranash1
|
oh ok. What is the conclusion in this passage? Like what sentence?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You will not always be able to find the main point of a passage contained in the single sentence. In this instance, the main point can be found in the answer to the question posed on lines 23 - 27. The entire third paragraph can be considered helpful, especially lines 42 - 44 and lines 52 - 53.
 mile1114
|
I chose option (B), since I went by line 51-52...in where "changing copy right law....is thus ill-advised because it would".....
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mile1114,

Keep in mind that the main point isn't always going to be at the end, and very frequently you'll need more than one sentence from the passage to identify it. Take another look to see if you can spot the lines that tell you the main point, and then check out Nikki's post above for the answer. :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.