LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning—PR, SN. The correct answer choice is (E)

The principle in the above stimulus contains conditional reasoning. The principle states that if a food contains a certain product that consumers would be concerned if they knew it contained, then the product should be labeled accordingly. We can diagram this relationship as follows:
  • Sufficient ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Necessary

Product contains controversial ingredients ..... :arrow: ..... Labels should include those ingredients

It is very important to understand and identify the correct flaw in the stimulus before going on to the answer choices. This is because the wording of the answer choices for Flaw in the Reasoning questions is often particularly difficult, and without a strong understanding of the flaw prior to reading the answer choices, the question becomes significantly more time consuming, The flaw occurs in the application of the rule. The application states that since most consumers would not care if Crackly Chips contained genetically engineered ingredients, they do not need to be labeled as containing genetically engineered ingredients. As a conditional relationship, this would be diagramed as follows:
  • Sufficient ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Necessary

Product contains controversial ingredients ..... :arrow: ..... Labels should include those ingredients

Visually, we can see that this is a Mistaken Negation—we have negated both halves of the conditional statement without also reversing them. We are looking for an answer choice that describes that error.

Answer choice (A): The principle in the stimulus specifies that the conditional relationship applies to the opinions of the consumers of the specific product in question, and not consumers in general. The application is not flawed by only considering consumers of the Crackly Chips, because the principle was equally limited.

Answer choice (B): The principle does not limit itself to situations where the product is actually dangerous; the perception of danger on the part of the consumer is sufficient to require labeling. It does not matter whether or not the product is actually safe. Therefore, proof of safety is irrelevant to the principle and application, and cannot be the correct flaw.

Answer choice (C): The application does not add a value judgment either to the use of labels, nor does it imply a value judgment to the use of certain ingredients. As part of the Prove family of questions, the correct answer choice for Flaw in the Reasoning must be completely supported by facts from the stimulus. If any portion of an answer choice is not fully supported by information from the stimulus, it has to be incorrect.

Answer choice (D): The phrase “takes for granted” indicates that the flaw is an assumption. The application of the principle did not contain any assumptions, so this answer choice cannot be correct.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The application confuses conditional reasoning. The principle states that under a certain condition (when most consumers of a product would be upset to discover a certain ingredient) an action must be taken (labels need to advise of the presence of the ingredient). The application of the principle is flawed because it says in the absence of a certain condition (if there is not a controversy about the ingredient) there is no need to take the above action (indicating the presence of the ingredient on the label). This is the description of a Mistaken Negation, and thus is the correct answer choice.
 agroves
|
Hello,

Can you please explain why answer choice E is correct and not answer choice A?

Thank you!

Angela
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Angela - thanks for the message. This is a Flaw-Principle question, where we need to determine what it is about the specific application of the principle that is in error.

Before we look at A and E, let's examine the principle given and its attempted application.

Principle: If a product contains upsetting ingredients, then its label should list those ingredients. That's a conditional statement, and could be diagrammed as:

Upsetting Ingredients --> Ingredients on Label (or whatever abbreviations you choose)

Application: Crackly Crisps do not containing upsetting ingredients (most people wouldn't care about the genetically modified content), so there is no need to list those ingredients on the Crackly Crisps label. Again, a conditional statement:

Not Upsetting Ingredients in Crackly Crisps --> Not Ingredients on Label of Crackly Crisps

Perhaps with it diagrammed as it is above, you can see the error: this is a clear Mistaken Negation, where the absence of the sufficient (upsetting ingredients) is thought to prove the absence of the necessary (need to label the ingredients). Of course, not having the first/sufficient condition does NOT mean that we don't still have the second/necessary condition, so the Flaw in the application is assuming that Mistaken Negation to be true and that's what the correct answer choice needs to describe.

Answer choice A: The principle itself is about consumers of a specific food ("consumers of that product"), and the application mirrors that same idea (consumers of Crackly Crisps), so at no point does representativeness of "consumers of food in general" come into play. This would only really be a mistake if the principle was about all consumers, and then the application was specific to a subset of them, like consumers of a specific food. But that doesn't happen here.

Answer choice E: this is a perfect representation of a Mistaken Negation, where there is a conclusion that something should happen in the absence of the sufficient condition.

I hope that clears it up!
 agroves
|
Thank you! Diagramming the conditional and recognizing that E represents Mistaken Reveral helps a lot.
 Frank
|
Hey,

Couple questions for the first LR section of the October 2011 exam.

#24 - My pre phrase for this one was that the 'most' referred to in the principle meant most of all the consumers, and the 'most' the application referred to was most of the people who buy Crackly Crisps. I was looking for something that says "just because most of the people that buy Crackly Crisps wouldn't be upset doesn't mean that most of all consumers would not be upset about the ingredients in CC." I chose A because I felt this was closest to my pre phrase.

Thanks for your help.

Frank
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Frank!

Jon gave a great explanation to this question several months back so I'm going to refer you to it (further up in thread).[/url]

As he says, the principle refers to "most consumers of that product" just as the application refers to "most consumers of Crackly Crisps" so that's not actually the flaw. The flaw turns out to be a Mistaken Negation. Read Jon's full explanation for a complete walk through.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 ericau02
|
For ac D, can you explain how it is not an assumption. I viewed it as the application/author was assuming that consumers would not care, therefore there is no need to label the ingredients.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Erica,

The issue of whether consumers would buy a product or not isn't contained in the stimulus at all, only a conditional relationship that concerns when a product must be labeled. The principle gives us this conditional relationship, while the application is a Mistaken Negation of the principle. That's the flaw of the stimulus, which (E) describes (in a typically verbose LSAT manner).

Hope this clears things up!
 ericau02
|
Thanl you james
 ieric01
|
Hey,

Quick question regarding C.

I think Crackly Corps does make a value judgment. I pasted my reasoning below.

Am I reasoning about it the right way? Love to know. Thank you!

====

The value judgment Crackly Corps makes is definitely compatible with the principle being applied. In fact, it’s the essence of the principle. It requires you to make a value judgment. In this example, Crackly Corps has to judge whether or not an ingredient in a consumer’s food would upset them.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.