LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning—AP. The correct answer choice is (B)

This editorial begins with a grudging admission that the town would not need to spend as much removing trash if all the residents sorted their own garbage. The argument continues to explain why that expectation is not practical in the town. While many people would follow the order to sort their own trash, others would not and would resent it. It continues to explain that the town should continue with having residents voluntarily sort their own trash, as the number of people who sort their trash would be about the same in a non-voluntary system, but the non voluntary system would cause more negative consequences.

The question stem asks us what role the first sentence plays in the argument. As described above, the first sentence is a fact that the argument grudgingly accepts, but then argues that it should not change current policy. We will want to find an answer choice that in some way describes the grudging way in which the editorialist grants that fact.

Answer choice (A): The author does not claim that the fact is false, but that even though it is true, we should not act on it. The author agrees that the town would save money if all the residents sorted their trash, but states there are reasons to not change policy even in light of that fact.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The author is willing to grant the fact as true. It supports that the town should force residents to sort their own trash, even though the author concludes that this is not true. This answer choice accurately describes the role the phrase plays in the argument.

Answer choice (C): The sentence is not a difficulty facing the claim, and as stated in answer choice (A), the author does not attempt to refute the claim, or state that it is false. The editorialist accepts the claim, but then argues that it should not change the town’s policy.

Answer choice (D): The author does not need the first sentence to reach the conclusion that the town should have trash sorting as a voluntary activity. The first sentence is a concession to those who oppose his viewpoint. However, the author does not need to address the possibly troublesome fact in order to draw the conclusion.

Answer choice (E): The author’s conclusion is that the town should not institute a mandatory program requiring residents to sort their trash. The editorialist supports the conclusion by stating that a required program would not have the desired effect of all residents sorting their own trash, and would have other undesirable results. The information at the beginning of the argument is thus, not the conclusion.
 Winup12
|
"The town would not need to spend as much as it does on removing trash if all town residents sorted their household garbage." -- Beginning sentence.

"The current voluntary system, then, is to be preferred, ..." -- Conclusion

Is the beginning sentence:
B) "It is a fact..." - I eliminated this because the language in the stem "would not need to" has indicated to me that it is not a "fact" but an estimation (it is not supported by history or numbers).

or
D) "It is a premise that the...argument relies on in reaching its conclusion." I chose this because if the town would {not-deleted} need to spend as much as it does on removing trash... then the conclusion makes no sense. Therefore the beginning sentence is a premise the argument is based on.

The correct answer choice is B.

1) Can anyone help to explain for the correct answer choice?
2) What's wrong with my reasoning?
3) Any LSAT "definitions" on "fact" vs. "premise"? (i.e., does "fact" indicate something not directly used in an argument?)

Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your message.

First, "would not need to" is actually absolute language: if residents sorted their trash, the town could spend less than it does on trash removal.

This stimulus breaks down simply as follows:

It's true that the town would save money if everyone sorted their garbage, but trying to force them would fail to achieve compliance. Therefore the voluntary system would be preferable.

Correct answer choice B provides that the statement is a fact granted by the editorial--in other words, "I admit it would save the town money, but trying to force them would not be effective."

As the answer choice provides, this fact might lead one to try to force people to comply, but the author preempts this argument by immediately asserting that this would be ineffective.

Answer choice D suggests that the statement is a premise used to support the author's conclusion, but that statement doesn't really do so; keep in mind that the author's conclusion is that the voluntary system is preferable to the involuntary system, because it would foster less resentment (note that the resentment is the basis of this conclusion, because neither system achieves the savings referenced in the first sentence).

Let me know if this makes sense--thanks!

~Steve
 sofisofi
|
Hi
I was wondering what "claim" answer choice C is referring to.
thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sofisofi,

The claim that the author is trying to refute would be the claim actually quoted as part of the argument part question stem--namely that it would be cheaper if the residents sorted their own trash. However, the stimulus does not have an example of a difficulty presented by the claim. There's nothing that reflects that part of the answer choice in the stimulus itself, so I can't point you to that part.

Hope that helps.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.