LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E)

Structurally, this Parallel Reasoning question is fairly straightforward. When given the choice between two equally desirable prizes, game show contestants will either pick the more expensive or the more familiar prize. The stimulus then goes on to describe the example of Ed, who had the choice of two equally desirable and equally familiar prizes. Thus, since he could not pick the more familiar prize, he picked the more expensive.

As a Parallel Reasoning question, we need to find an answer choice that matches the broad structure in the stimulus. To do this, we need to think about how to describe the argument in terms that are specific enough to guide us to the correct answer choice, but broad enough to apply to a variety of situations. We know that the stimulus is comprised of a rule, wherein people have two paths to help them decide between two options, and an application of that rule, with an example of someone applying the rule to decide between two options. With this structure in mind, we can turn to the answer choices.

Answer choice (A): A key component of the stimulus was the issue of choice. A game show contestant can choose between two options. This stimulus simply states that there are two options, but does not describe how an author determines which option applies.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice includes the concept of choosing, but it does not tell us how children make the decision between the Rocket and the Mouse. Without the additional information to tell us if the example was a correct application of the rule, this answer choice does not match the structure of the stimulus.

Answer choice (C): As in answer choice (A), this answer choice is missing the element of selecting a preferred option. This answer simply describes a physical reaction without any option of picking between asteroids.

Answer choice (D): In the stimulus, the example is one of a person actually applying the rule to make a decision between two options. In this case, we have a rule, but the person this example avoids making a choice by not entering the program.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. This answer choice begins with a rule to help a rabbit decide between two options to avoid predators. It goes on to say that in a particular instance, one option is unavailable, and concludes that the rabbit will decide on the second option. This matches the structure in the stimulus, so it is correct.
 avengingangel
|
I ended up choosing the right answer using the same strategy / coming up with a similar prephrase as described in the explanation. However, I found this question to be a little difficult because of the specific wording in the stimulus. I didn't realize that what we would be looking for is specifically just the application of the rule; I thought we were looking for something that paralleled the entire stimulus (so, the explanation of the rule AND the application). So, I was a little thrown off by the "2 equally desirable prizes" (taken as a 3rd element, in addition to the "more expensive" and the "more familiar" elements) and the introduction/usage of variables (A & B), of which one was ultimately described as being more expensive. In other words, I was unsure of if I should of included those things in my prephrase, and consequently find an answer choice that "matched" those elements, too (in addition to the 'rule for deciding between 2 options').

Does that make sense ?? I guess my general question is, when faced with a Parallel question like this, how do you know what elements of an argument to use in describing it so that it's specific enough to guide us to the correct answer choice, but broad enough to apply to a variety of situations ?? Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
My favorite approach to most Parallel Reasoning questions is to apply the "Abstract Structure" test. That is, I strip the argument of its details and think only about the underlying reasoning. In this case, that's something like "when you always choose between two alternatives, and one of those alternatives is unavailable, you must choose the other one". This is one of several approaches that we teach, and it is not always the best approach (sometimes it's better done by comparing the language in the conclusions, or by looking at the number and type of premises, among other methods), but even when I apply those other methods I tend to keep the abstract structure running in the back of my mind to compare my contenders to it.

Don't be too mechanical about it, Angel, and also remember that we are always about picking the best answer rather than a perfect answer or even a good one. The introduction in the stimulus of the idea of two prizes being equally unfamiliar is just another way of saying that criterion is not available to help determine what choice Ed will make. It's not a new element, but the elimination of one option. The part about two prizes being equally desirable is just about framing the argument, limiting it to a particular circumstance. If one of the answer choices had something similar, that would be attractive, but it's not a deal breaker when it comes to deciding which answer is better than another, because the question is about the reasoning (two choices, one unavailable, so take the other) and not about the details or background.

I hope that helps!
 avengingangel
|
great ,thanks. i was making it overly complicated
 ericau02
|
I just want tobe sure this is correct but in the prep test 64 in the LSAC book of prep test it says " Today's winner ED, is choosing between two equally disireable and equally UNfamiliar prizes..."
is it supposed to be familiar or UNfamiliar maybe this is why i was so confused
 ericau02
|
where in the stimulus does it suggest why and how ed made his decision is it bc of the term "unfamiliar".

Also is the abstract test something that can be used on all of the parrallel questions. I have realized that i have difficulty using the conclusion, the premise, etc test. I often get confused and am not to sure of what can be accepted for the test or what can eliminate the ac.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Erica,

Let's first talk about the switch between familiar and unfamiliar in the stimulus. When the stimulus begins, it says that how familiar a prize is to someone matters. In the next part, it says that a two prizes are equally unfamiliar. Great job noticing that switch in language. But in this case, they mean the same thing. Think about familiarity on a continuum. How familiar a prize is falls somewhere on that continuum between completely unfamiliar/first time the contestant ever encountered something and completely familiar/something the contestant sees every day. Any two items that fall on the same place on that continuum could be described as equally familiar or equally unfamiliar because they are the same distance from the end points of familiar and unfamiliar.

Let's think of a more familiar continuum--the range of water temperatures from freezing to boiling. Two cups of water that are 45 degrees each are both equally cold and equally hot. It doesn't matter which way you think about it. They both describe two temperatures that fall on the same place on the continuum.

Turning to your second question. The stimulus says that contestants that have to choose between two equally desirable prizes that are equally familiar or unfamiliar will choose the more expensive prize. The contestant had two equally familiar and desirable prizes, so he choose the more expensive one. That follows the rules given.

And yes, you can always use any of the tests in parallel reasoning on any question, but different tests make sense in different situations. Everyone has their tests that they gravitate toward more, but you want to be familiar with all they ways that stimuli must be paralleled. This is a case where I would probably start with the abstract test, but I'd keep the conclusion test in mind too. For the abstract test, I'd know to look for someone making a choose between two things, and choosing one because the other option is ruled out for some reason. In terms of the conclusion test, the conclusion of the stimulus is definitive. The contestant WILL choose A. For that reason, I want a certain conclusion. Answer choice (D) can be eliminated because it uses "probably" in the conclusion.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 ericau02
|
Thank you Rachel it does!!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.