LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Justify the Conclusion—CE. The correct answer choice is (E)

As with many Justify the Conclusion stimuli, the most simple way to begin is with the conclusion. The psychologist’s conclusion here is a causal relationship, that flattery does not cause the promotions. It can be diagrammed as follows:
  • Cause ..... ..... ..... Effect
    Flattery ..... :arrow: ..... Promotions
The psychologist reasons that even though many employees who flatter their bosses are promoted, the flattery is so blatant that it is obvious. The argument fails to connect the obviousness of the flattery with the motivation for the promotions. In order to Justify the Conclusion, we will want to show that although the flattery is obvious, it does not actually impact the motivation behind the promotion of employees.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice tells us that people in power expect to be flattered. However, just because it is not expected does not mean that the flattery cannot influence the bosses. Therefore, the answer choice does not justify the conclusion that the flattery does not impact the employee promotions.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is incorrect as the official guidelines may not actually determine who is promoted. It would certainly be unexpected for an official guide to cite “flattery” as a criterion for promotion.

Answer choice (C): The psychologist is not concerned with flattery that is not noticed. He specifically notes that almost all flattery is so blatant that it would be obvious even to the intended target. This answer choice does not directly connect with the stimulus, and thus cannot justify the conclusion of the argument.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice directly conflicts with the facts in the stimulus. The stimulus tells us that the flattery is almost always obvious. To say that many people do not correctly interpret the flattery is a contradiction with the facts as given. A correct answer choice in a Justify the Conclusion question will provide additional information that, when added to the facts in the stimulus, will be sufficient to draw the conclusion. An answer choice that contradicts or undermines the facts as given is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. When we add this answer choice to the facts in the stimulus, we have a complete argument. As the flattery is obvious, this answer choice states that once the flattery is noticed by the supervisor, it will not influence his decision. Therefore, the conclusion of the argument, that the flattery does not induce promotions, easily follows from the facts given in the stimulus and this answer choice.
 whardy21
|
I was between A and E and got suckered in to taking A. The reason I chose answer choice A is because if people in responsibility expect to be flattered then flattery is not generally reason. However, I see two places where I went wrong. My reasoning and logic for Answer choice A is wrong to begin with due to the conclusion. The conclusion states flattery generally is not the reason. If people in responsibility expect flattery, it sort of means they i.e. generally expect flattery.

Secondly, Answer choice A says people in positions of responsibility instead of saying supervisors. A justify conclusion we want to absolutely validate the conclusion that flattery generally is not the reason for their success. Supervisors are almost never influences by flattery validates the conclusion. Please check my logic.
 George George
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Overall, I agree with your logic, whardy21.

First, expecting flattery does not tell us whether or not it works, as noted in the original explanation (i.e. "just because it is not expected does not mean that the flattery cannot influence the bosses"). So, you're right to claim that expecting flattery would only prove a conclusion that says they expect it, not whether or not it is "the reason for [employees' promotions]." (I agree with you here.)

Second, however, I slightly disagree regarding "people in positions of responsibility." Presumably, supervisors are one such subgroup of responsible people. Accordingly, on a Justify Q, the right answer could (but does not have to) go even further than is required as long as the broader general term included the one in the conclusion. So I don't think that part of answer (A) is a good reason to reject it. (I disagree with you here.)

Finally, you state: "A justify conclusion we want to absolutely validate the conclusion that flattery generally is not the reason for their success. Supervisors are almost never influences by flattery validates the conclusion." I agree with you here.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.