LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning—PR. The correct answer choice is (A)

Your task in this Parallel Reasoning question is to select the answer choice that presents an argument
conforming most closely to the principle relied on by Evan in reaching his conclusion that we should
not eat seafood. Evan’s argument proceeded:

..... Premise: ..... I believe it is immoral to inflict pain on animals to obtain food

..... Premise: ..... some who share this view nonetheless consume seafood, on the grounds that it
..... ..... ..... ..... is not known whether certain sea creatures can experience pleasure or pain

..... Premise: ..... but, if it is truly wrong to inflict needless suffering, we should extend the
..... ..... ..... ..... benefit of the doubt to sea animals

..... Conclusion: ..... thus, we should refrain from eating seafood

The correct answer choice in this Parallel Reasoning question will contain an application of the
principle applied by Evan in his argument. Stated in the abstract, the principle Evan applied was
that if it is uncertain whether the desired result will be achieved (i.e., prevent the infliction of pain
on animals to obtain food), then it is better to err on the side of ensuring the result is achieved (i.e.,
don’t eat seafood despite uncertainty concerning whether sea creatures can experience pain).

The incorrect answers will contain an argument that does not apply this principle to reach its
conclusion.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This choice is correct because the speaker
is uncertain whether he has repaid Farah the money she lent him for a movie ticket. Despite Farah’s
inability to remember whether the debt is still owed, the speaker concludes he should ensure the debt
has been repaid by paying her now.

Answer choice (B): This argument does not apply a principle concerning what to do in the presence
of uncertainty. Instead, the conclusion merely expresses what state of affairs should be expected.

Answer choice (C): The principle applied here is that an action should not be taken if it would result
in the region’s economy becoming less stable.

Answer choice (D): The rule applied in this argument does not pertain to deciding what action
should be taken. Rather, it merely describes a possible set of circumstances.

Answer choice (E): This choice also fails to apply a rule to conclude whether a certain action should
be taken. Instead, the author infers that since Allende’s characters are hopeful and full of juy, then
Allende’s own view of life has not been negatively marked by her experiences.
 melissa27
|
Can you please explain question 6 on section one of the dec. 2011 exam?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question 6, a Principle question, may be best approached using the Abstraction approach. Try coming up with an abstract of the stimulus, and you may come up with something like "if you aren't sure about whether or not to take a certain action, err on the side of caution" or "it's better to be safe than sorry". Answer choice A follows that line of thinking - if you aren't sure if you've paid a debt, pay it.

Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT Instructor
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

I still don't see why C is wrong using the method of abstraction. Isn't erring on the side of caution in line with being agains the tax incentives which may not lead to longterm business investment? Is this wrong for another reason? Please let me know. Thank you.

- Micah
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mpoulson wrote:Hello,

I still don't see why C is wrong using the method of abstraction. Isn't erring on the side of caution in line with being agains the tax incentives which may not lead to longterm business investment? Is this wrong for another reason? Please let me know. Thank you.

- Micah

Hello Micah,

Besides Adam's useful advice above, one could also do a test-of-abstraction thing saying something like, "I'm going to be super good instead of risking doing evil where I don't know what's going on." Answer C is more about the businesses doing possible evil (low commitment to the community), rather than about the speaker doing possible evil by risking doing something which may be unacceptable.

Hope this helps,
David
 rneuman123@gmail.com
|
Hi. I chose c on this, because the negative language seems similar to the stimulus. My other choice was e, for similar reasons, but A did not strike me as similar. Can you explain why A is correct over c or e?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rneuman123@gmail.com,

Your question has been discussed in the above thread and we have merged your question with the existing thread.

Please read our explanation and ask any follow-up questions here.

Thanks!
 Pandaa
|
I don’t understand why this is a parallel the reasoning. Every part of this question says “principle match.” Did I miss something?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Pandaa!

You're generally right to identify this as a principle question. In the administrator's post, this is labeled as a "Parallel Reasoning-PR" question stem. The "PR" in that label stands for principle. So it involves both identification of a principle in the stimulus as well as selecting an answer choice that parallels the reasoning.

In the stimulus, Evan argues that we should avoid eating seafood because we should avoid causing suffering and should give the benefit of the doubt to sea creatures inasmuch as there is debate about whether or not some of them can feel pain and pleasure. A principle that can be abstracted from this is that one should err on the side of caution when it is unclear whether or not one's actions would harm another.

This reasoning is paralleled in answer choice (A). The person errs on the side of caution and repays Farah when it is unclear whether the person had already repaid.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.