LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Erica,

This is one of those gotcha type questions. The key is that answer choice C is talking about profits! Profits are, basically, what you get from sales after subtracting all the costs. (There's a specific formula, but we're not in business school right now). Basically, the idea that profits have increased doesn't actually do anything to explain the sales numbers; sales occur before profit is even considered. Now, you might have thought that the free shipping would have potentially decreased profits, since this could add to the company's cost. However, the conclusion is purely focused on sales, prior to any consideration of costs, overhead, etc., and so as such, any reference to profit would be irrelevant to the argument itself.

To illustrate this, let's imagine you're selling lemonade at a lemonade stand. You start out selling one glass for one dollar. However, sales are very slow. Thus, you decide to lower the price to 50 cents. Sales pick up significantly! Now, if you're buying the lemons for 40 cents a pop, then I'm probably not making much profit on each glass of lemonade (assuming on lemon is required to make one glass); however, the increase in sales increase the gross profits and thus makes me a happy lemonade sales person!

Hope this helps.
 sarinn
|
I am still unsure why C is incorrect. I read the explanation above and understand why A is correct but I am having a hard time eliminating C.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sarinn,

Answer choice (C) makes a critical switch in terms. It talks about the increase in profits, whereas the stimulus is talking about causation related to an increase in sales. Profits are a different concept than sales. You could have profits go up without sales going up or sales going up without profits going up. Answer choice (C) therefore doesn't have an impact on our causal argument about sales. We can't say what would happen to the conclusion if answer choice (C) is true because it is about a different concept than the concept in the stimulus.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.