LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—PR. The correct answer choice is (E)

The president specifies the conditions under which research institutions should promote theoretical research. Like most principles, this one is conditional in nature (“institutions have an obligation … if”). Admittedly, the decision to convey that information in a single sentence makes it somewhat verbose and difficult to follow, which is why the best approach would be to break down the argument as follows:
  • Theoretical
    ..... + ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... :arrow: ..... Obligation to promote research
    Promise insight into cause of problems
By breaking down the conditions in this way, we essentially create a two-prong “test” for promoting theoretical research: if the research is theoretical but promises to offer insights into the causes of practical problems, institutions have an obligation to support it. Note that the principle in the stimulus can only be used to affirm the obligation to promote theoretical research, not deny it. This is because the conditions under which an obligation is said to exist are sufficient, and not necessary, for that obligation to exist.

Because the answer to this Must Be True—Principle question must follow from the application of the principle, the best way to approach the answers is to examine their conclusions first: the correct answer choice must contain a decision to promote (not deny) theoretical research, to determine whether the evidence provided satisfies both conditions sufficient to establish that decision.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect, because the university denied the grant application. As explained earlier, even if the research in question does not meet a sufficient condition (i.e. the solution to the mathematical puzzle has no practical applications), that does not allow us to conclude that the necessary condition should not occur either (i.e. the application should be denied). This error is the essence of the Mistaken Negation argument form.

Answer choice (B): The theoretical nature of the research project is not by itself sufficient to justify funding. According to the principle in the stimulus, the sufficient conditions for funding include the promise of an insight into a practical problem that affects our quality of life. It is unclear how the determining the magnitude of distant planets would offer any practical insight.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is incorrect, because the position funded involves no research in a field of theoretical investigation: its objective is clearly administrative.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice should be eliminated for the same reason as answer choice (A). The principle in the stimulus can only be used to affirm the decision to fund a proposal, because the conditions under which an obligation is said to exist are sufficient, not necessary, for that obligation to exist.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. An investigation into the mathematical properties of folder structures is a theoretical one, while understanding the structure of proteins that cause disease would yield an insight into the causes of a practical problem. This research clearly satisfies both sufficient conditions of principle outlined in the stimulus, thereby justifying the institute’s decision to fund the investigation.
 Patrick.a.anderson
|
I am confused as to why answer choice A does not work. My diagram for the question seem is:

If research can show insights into causes of practical problems that affect quality for life :arrow: promote the research.

I thought answer choice A was the contra positive of the above diagram. Do know why it is not?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your question. Your diagram is good--if research might provide such practical insights, there is an obligation to promote such research.

Potential for practical insight :arrow: obligation to promote

Then what is the contrapositive?

NO obligation to promote :arrow: NO potential for practical insight

...if there is no obligation to promote particular research, it must not have potential to provide practical insights.

Answer choice A negates both sides of your original diagram, but neglects to reverse it--this is a Mistaken Negation. That is, just because there is no potential for practical insights, the university denies the program:

NO potential for practical insight :arrow: NO obligation to promote.

I hope that's helpful--let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 avengingangel
|
I got this answer correct, from the reasoning stated above. After reading the stimulus and question stem, I knew I was looking for an example that applied the structure of the principle as is (E), or as it's contrapositive. But for the sake of fully understanding concepts, could you please provide here what an answer choice might have looked like if it was providing an example of the contrapositive of the principle? I am having difficulty thinking about/imagining what that would look like written out... thanks.
 avengingangel
|
OH yeah also, what type of question is this ?? Principle, most strongly supported, parallel, must be true, strengthen, etc. ?? (I know it's not justify because of the "most helps to justify" language. I'm thinking this is a MBT/Strengthen/Principle combo pack, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:OH yeah also, what type of question is this ?? Principle, most strongly supported, parallel, must be true, strengthen, etc. ?? (I know it's not justify because of the "most helps to justify" language. I'm thinking this is a MBT/Strengthen/Principle combo pack, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks!

Hello,

Must Be True/Principle.

David
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:I got this answer correct, from the reasoning stated above. After reading the stimulus and question stem, I knew I was looking for an example that applied the structure of the principle as is (E), or as it's contrapositive. But for the sake of fully understanding concepts, could you please provide here what an answer choice might have looked like if it was providing an example of the contrapositive of the principle? I am having difficulty thinking about/imagining what that would look like written out... thanks.

Hello,

E.g., "We shall not be funding the scientist's project about how much 3-year-old kangaroos enjoy whipped cream imported from London, so it must not have had much practical use."

David
 avengingangel
|
Great, thanks!
 lathlee
|
I got the question correct but what is this question type belong to?

I know it's a first type family which I used the knowledge to solve it. but the wording of the question is like strengthen question which got me surprised for couple seconds. Is this broad type of Must be True?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

Yes, this is a Must Be True/Most Strongly Supported question type. The language you see here is a typical variant on what they do with "strengthen" and it's synonyms in question stems. For example, compare:

• "Which one of the following, if true, most supports the argument above?" — Strengthen

"Which one of the following is most supported by the statements above?" — Must/MSS
See how that works? This is right in the same vein, just using the term "most helps to justify."

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.