LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Resolve the Paradox. The correct answer choice is (B)

A study examining the prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome among office workers found that the risk of developing the disorder was much higher for workers who feel that they lack control over their own work. The question stem asks us to explain this finding. The stimulus does not contain a true paradox, just a negative correlation that the correct answer choice needs to explain. Note that the study compared workers who do similar amounts of typing, so the amount of typing cannot account for the different levels of risk observed in the study.

Answer choice (A): At first glance, this may seem like an attractive answer. Carpal tunnel is caused by repetitive motions such as typing on a keyboard. If the level of control we have over our own work correlates negatively with the amount of typing we do, this would explain why the workers who have the most control over their own work are less likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome than those who have the least control. The study, however, compared workers who do similar amounts of typing and arrived at the same observation. Answer choice (A) contradicts a basic premise of the study, and cannot explain its findings.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If lack of control over one’s own work can put one under emotional stress that can lead to the development of nerve disorders, this would explain why those who feel the least control over their own work would have a particularly high risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome (a nerve disorder):

• Lack of control (cause) :arrow: Emotional stress (Effect/Cause) :arrow: Carpal tunnel (Effect)
This chain of causation provides a reasonable explanation for the correlation observed in the study, making answer choice (B) correct.

Answer choice (C): The exact mechanism by which office workers develop carpal tunnel syndrome is irrelevant. Our job is to explain the correlation described in the stimulus, not the pathology itself.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice seems to affirm the study’s findings: even among those who rarely type, the rate of carpal tunnel is higher for those who feel that they lack control over their own work. This observation cannot explain the study’s findings; it merely offers an analogous correlation that is just as puzzling as the correlation described in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E): This is the Opposite answer, as it makes the study’s findings even more baffling. According to the stimulus, typing is just one type of repetitive motion that causes carpal tunnel syndrome. So, if performing such repetitive motions correlates with how much control workers have over their own work, we would expect that the workers who have the most control over their own work would also have the highest risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome. This would directly contradict the information contained in the stimulus, where the correlation between having control over one’s work and the risk of developing the disorder was negative, not positive.
 avengingangel
|
I got this one correct, but have a couple questions still:

1) What is the conclusion here? Is there even one present, or is it just a fact-set?

2) What kind of question is this?? I would have normally said "Resolve the Paradox," but it's not really a paradox to solve, necessarily?? Is it strengthen?

3) I was between B & D as my correct answer, and it was a close call for me. I didn't chose D because it wasn't connecting the first sentence of the stimulus to the rest of the argument, like B did. Am I right in my reasoning here? This is also why I'm leaning toward "Strengthen" as the question type. (BUT I feel if it was Strengthen, it would have to have a conclusion??!)

Thanks!!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
avengingangel wrote:I got this one correct, but have a couple questions still:

1) What is the conclusion here? Is there even one present, or is it just a fact-set?

2) What kind of question is this?? I would have normally said "Resolve the Paradox," but it's not really a paradox to solve, necessarily?? Is it strengthen?

3) I was between B & D as my correct answer, and it was a close call for me. I didn't chose D because it wasn't connecting the first sentence of the stimulus to the rest of the argument, like B did. Am I right in my reasoning here? This is also why I'm leaning toward "Strengthen" as the question type. (BUT I feel if it was Strengthen, it would have to have a conclusion??!)

Thanks!!

Hello,

Yes, it may be a bunch of facts rather than having a conclusion.
It is a Resolve question, as it may be paradoxical that people doing similar amounts of labor might have different amounts of carpal tunnel syndrome.
For answer D, the phrase "rarely use keyboards" throws in something new that doesn't really help the argument. However, answer D does at least mention carpal tunnel syndrome, keyboards, and control over work, so that it may do some connecting with the first part of the stimulus.
Strengthen might tend to need a conclusion, since it is hard to strengthen an argument without there being an argument.

David
 avengingangel
|
Thanks. Ugh, I just re-visited this question (without looking at the correct answer choice), and chose A. To me, it clearly explains (or, resolves) the study's findings. Why is that wrong, and also, why is B superior to A?

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there angel, thanks for the question. You'll find the problem with answer A in this language from the stimulus:
among those who do similar amounts of typing
In other words, the study controlled for typing amounts. While those with control may type less than those without control, we didn't compare people with varying levels of typing to each other. We only compared those that typed roughly equal amounts. A doesn't help explain why the ones that have control and type 2 hours a day have less carpal tunnel than those that don't have control and also type 2 hours a day. B does that by showing us that there are other factors besides the amount of typing that contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Every word counts, my friend! Read carefully!
 avengingangel
|
Ah, geeze, yeah! Thanks for clearing that up, Adam.
 bk1111
|
Hello. Can we say that E is somewhat irrelevant to explaining the findings, since the study is limited to similar amounts of typing? I eliminated this because it said works other than typing... I want to make sure my reasoning is valid
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi BK,

(E) actually serves as an Opposite Answer, in that if true, it would make the paradox even more confounding. We're told that carpal tunnel syndrome is often caused by repetitive motions like typing. The stimulus controls for the amount of typing done ("similar amounts of typing") so the only stated difference between the two groups is how much control they have over their own work. The group with less control over their work get carpal tunnel 3 times as much, despite the similar amounts of typing; (E) is saying that in addition to doing the same amount of typing, that group also does fewer repetitive motions aside from typing, making it even more paradoxical that it has a higher rate of carpal tunnel disorder.
 lsatprep2345
|
Hi, I know E is an opposite answer but if it was not opposite could it be correct?
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatprep,

Just to be clear, if Answer E had said,

"Office workers who have the most control over their own work tend to perform repetitive motions other than typing LESS often than do office workers with the least control over their own work" rather than "MORE often," it would have been the correct answer as it provides a reason for the different rates of carpal tunnel syndrome based on something other than the amount of typing.

Also, this may go without saying, but the test makers would not have included the correct answer above and also have included Answer B in the same question as that would have two arguably correct answers.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.