LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is B.

The question stem is too broad to permit an effective prephrase, particularly since there are multiple references in each of the passages to music. Instead of prephrasing, move to the answer choices and perform a quick scan of each of the passages to try to find a line reference in each passage for the concept in the answer choice.

Answer choice (A): Although bonding between humans and its relation to music is discussed in lines 35-37 in passage B, bonding between humans is not discussed in passage A, and this answer choice is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Music and its relation to human emotion is discussed in lines 1-4 of passage A, and in lines 32-37 of passage B.

Answer choice (C): Although the reference to "brain imaging studies" and music in line 6 of passage A arguably identifies a relation between music and neurological research, there is no "neurological research" referred to anywhere in passage B.

Answer choice (D): The increasing helplessness of hominid infants features in lines 54-57 of passage B, but is not mentioned anywhere in passage A.

Answer choice (E): The use of tools to produce sounds is mentioned in line 4 of passage A, but is not mentioned anywhere in passage B.
 saranash1
|
10. Both passages talk about research that has to do with the brain thats why i guessed C. Why can't the answer be C instead of B? I see where both passes talk about human emotion but I also see both passages talk about neurological research and its relation to music. :-?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question--you're right about human emotion; now take another look at answer choice C--do they both talk about music's relationship to neurological research ?

Let me know your thoughts--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
No passage one says neurological system & passage two says behavior whose neurological basis...Instead of neurological research Is this why it is wrong? :0
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's correct--music and its relationship to neurological research is a pretty specific reference, and one that isn't really discussed by either author, whereas music and its relationship to human emotion is certainly covered by both authors.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
Ok that makes sense. So the authors are very specific about their wording & if the wording is slightly different it is wrong as in this example?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Not necessarily--there are many cases in which slight changes of wording would be acceptable. In this case, however, there is a vital distinction that is made with the word research.

I hope that's helpful!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
OK thanks.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.