LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken—#%. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus begins with the conclusion, which is focused on numbers. When LSAC introduces numerical concepts into Logical Reasoning questions, it does so to confuse and frustrate you. Typically, there will be some flaw in how the data is used in support of the conclusion. You can turn the tables on LSAC by focusing your prephrase on the numbers idea so that you can shine a spotlight on the gap in the argument.

Here, the columnist disagrees with the belief held by many that the number of species on Earth is dwindling. The columnist supports his view by drawing a comparison between the number of species going extinct and the number of new species emerging. However, this comparison is flawed.

Regarding extinction, the columnist says that about as many species are likely to go extinct this year as went extinct in 1970. But, he points out, there is no reason to doubt that new species are emerging at about the same rate as they have been for the last several centuries. From this evidence, the columnist concludes that the number of species on Earth is probably not dwindling.

The are multiple problems with this line of reasoning. But, focusing on the numerical flaw, we do not know how many species went extinct in 1970. Nor do we know how that number compares to the rate at which new species have been emerging for the last several centuries. For example, it may be the case that one new species per year has emerged on average over the last several centuries, but there were one hundred species that went extinct in 1970.

Without some hard numbers to put the premises in context, the conclusion that the number of species on Earth is probably not dwindling is unsupported. So, your prephrase in this Weaken question is that the correct answer will likely exploit this weakness to undermine the conclusion.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This choice provides some context to help us understand the relationship between the rate at which species have emerged and the number that went extinct in 1970. The author makes the claim that "the number of species on Earth is probably not dwindling," and continues on to state that "about as many species are likely to go extinct this year as went extinct in 1970." That, in connection with the statement that "new species are emerging at about the same rate as they have been for the last several centuries," suggests that extinction and emergence numbers are fairly balanced, and have been for a while. But, this answer tells us that in 1970, overall there was a net loss of species (more went extinct than emerged), and so if that's the case, the author's statements would actually suggest that the number of species on earth may be dwindling.

Answer choice (B): This choice is irrelevant to the conclusion, because it provides information about where species emerge and go extinct, rather than the numbers involved.

Answer choice (C): This choice does not help put the current rates of species emergence and decline into perspective, so it has no impact on the conclusion.

Answer choice (D): This choice uses “concern” as a proxy for real numbers, implying that since there is no more concern now about extinction than there was in 1970, then the number of species is not dwindling. However, nothing in the stimulus supports this suggested connection between concern and the actual numbers, so this choice has no effect on the conclusion.

Answer choice (E): The increased ability to identify species facing serious risk of extinction does not tell you about the current rates of extinction and emergence, and so this answer choice is irrelevant to the conclusion.
 al_godnessmary
|
I got this right, but wanted to read more about the answer explanations.

We're essentially looking for something to cast doubt upon the conclusion that new species are emerging as quickly as they've always been. I can see what the four choices (B to E) aren't relevant, but I'm a little bit more stumped as to why A is...it simply shows that in ONE particular year the rates of new species was lower than rate of extinction. It doesn't really say anything about the overall trend of new species coming out (maybe 1970 was just a blimp year and in 1971 TWICE the number of new species emerged and made up for it, who knows?!) nor does it address the "constancy" of the rate of new species emerging?

Like I said, I can see how the other four options don't fit the bill, I just want to see what this one does. Thanks!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Great question! You raised some good points, and I agree with you that A isn't a perfect answer by any means. However, it does at least a little to weaken the argument, even with the flaws you identified. The other answer choices don't at all. Check out the complete question explanation we posted, and let us know if you still have questions on this one after reading it!
 biskam
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Weaken—#%. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus begins with the conclusion, which is focused on numbers. When LSAC introduces numerical concepts into Logical Reasoning questions, it does so to confuse and frustrate you. Typically, there will be some flaw in how the data is used in support of the conclusion. You can turn the tables on LSAC by focusing your prephrase on the numbers idea so that you can shine a spotlight on the gap in the argument.

Here, the columnist disagrees with the belief held by many that the number of species on Earth is dwindling. The columnist supports his view by drawing a comparison between the number of species going extinct and the number of new species emerging. However, this comparison is flawed.

Regarding extinction, the columnist says that about as many species are likely to go extinct this year as went extinct in 1970. But, he points out, there is no reason to doubt that new species are emerging at about the same rate as they have been for the last several centuries. From this evidence, the columnist concludes that the number of species on Earth is probably not dwindling.

The are multiple problems with this line of reasoning. But, focusing on the numerical flaw, we do not know how many species went extinct in 1970. Nor do we know how that number compares to the rate at which new species have been emerging for the last several centuries. For example, it may be the case that one new species per year has emerged on average over the last several centuries, but there were one hundred species that went extinct in 1970.

Without some hard numbers to put the premises in context, the conclusion that the number of species on Earth is probably not dwindling is unsupported. So, your prephrase in this Weaken question is that the correct answer will likely exploit this weakness to undermine the conclusion.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This choice provides some context to help us understand the relationship between the rate at which species have emerged and the number that went extinct in 1970. By saying that new species emerge “at about the same rate as they have been for the last several centuries,” the columnist implied that the new species have emerged at a relatively consistent rate for the last several centuries. This answer choice provides a snapshot view of the data that raises the possibility that the number of species on Earth may, in fact, be dwindling.

Answer choice (B): This choice is irrelevant to the conclusion, because it provides information about where species emerge and go extinct, rather than the numbers involved.

Answer choice (C): This choice does not help put the current rates of species emergence and decline into perspective, so it has no impact on the conclusion.

Answer choice (D): This choice uses “concern” as a proxy for real numbers, implying that since there is no more concern now about extinction than there was in 1970, then the number of species is not dwindling. However, nothing in the stimulus supports this suggested connection between concern and the actual numbers, so this choice has no effect on the conclusion.

Answer choice (E): The increased ability to identify species facing serious risk of extinction does not tell you about the current rates of extinction and emergence, and so this answer choice is irrelevant to the conclusion.

I'm struggling a lot with %# questions. I picked E but now realize it was irrelevant and out of scope. But I'm not sure how A weakens...

I get that there's a lack of hard numbers here. but is that what's at issue in A? It seems more so like A shows the possibility of the emergence rate being inconsistent, whereas the stimulus made it seem like it was consistent?

in short, I'm not sure how the stimulus is flawed and how A adddresses that flaw.

thank you!
 biskam
|
and is this true? The correct answer weakens by showing that # of species may in fact be dwindling because rate of emergence was at one point lower than number of extinctions, showing that dwindling could be possible
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I edited the official explanation above to hopefully make it clearer as to why (A) is correct. I'll also toss in an analogy here that might help shed some light on how (A) can work to weaken the argument:

• CEO: Contrary to what analysts believe, the company will probably break even this year. Our expenses are going to be the same this year as they were in 1970. Revenues have also been about the same for many years now.

Answer (A): Umm, you guys lost money in 1970.
So, the gist there is we have a CEO claiming that the company will break even, and saying that things this year will be about the same as 1970. Plus, profits have been the same for many years. Adding that all together, it's pointing to the idea that 1970 was a good representative year to show that things weren't going down. But then answer (A) then comes in and says, hey, you might not realize it but you didn't break even in 1970, you actually lost money. While it's not a definitive proof of the CEO being wrong, at least as far as the argument made by the CEO, it's been weakened.

The logic works in roughly the same manner in the argument, and remember, you just have to show that the argument used by the columnist has a problem, and since the columnist cited 1970 as a sort of normal year and also stated that things have been constant over a long span, but it turns out to be a year in which the number of species went down, then the columnist has some problems that need to be addressed and the argument is weak.

Hopefully that helps make this one clearer. Please let me know. Thanks!
 biskam
|
Yes it does! Thanks!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.