LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

This stimulus deals with a university president’s speech and a critique from a known detractor,
Professor Riley, who says that the speech was inflammatory and thus inappropriate. Because of the
poor relationship between Riley and the president, the author of the stimulus says that Riley’s word
is not sufficient to conclude that the speech was actually inflammatory. Without outside, independent
verification that the speech was, in fact, inflammatory, the author concludes that the speech could
not have been inappropriate.

While the author might have a valid concern regarding the long-standing feud between the professor
and the president, the issue is not just about whether or not the speech was inflammatory. The
professor felt that the speech’s inflammatory nature was the reason that it was inappropriate; even if
the speech was not inflammatory, however, it still could have been inappropriate for any number of
reasons.
The stimulus is followed by a Flaw in the Reasoning question, so the correct answer choice
will likely point out that the speech could have been inappropriate, even if it was not in fact
inflammatory.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed, the author appears to believe
that if the speech was not inflammatory, there is no way that it could have been inappropriate. It is
entirely possible that the professor was wrong, and that the speech was not at all inflammatory, but it
could have been inappropriate in other ways.

Answer choice (B): The author does not believe that the professor’s opinion is to be trusted
regarding the president’s speech, and that unless there happens to be outside verification, it is not
true that the speech was inflammatory. If this is the case, then it is irrelevant that some inflammatory
speeches are appropriate for some audiences, as this choice provides, because the author’s assertion
is that the speech was not inflammatory.

Answer choice (C): The author does not indicate favoritism based on the president’s standing.
Rather, the author thinks that Professor Riley’s characterization of the speech was colored by their
long-standing feud, so the assertion that the speech was inflammatory cannot be trusted. Since this
choice does not describe the flaw in the stimulus, it can be ruled out of contention.

Answer choice (D): Riley doesn’t necessarily have anything to gain from the speech’s having been
inflammatory and inappropriate, and the author doesn’t exactly conclude that Riley’s claim is
false. Rather, the author says that unless there is some independent verification that the speech was
inflammatory, it is not true that it was inappropriate. Since this choice is inaccurate on more than one
count, it cannot be the accurate characterization of the flaw in the author’s reasoning.

Answer choice (E): The author does not need to consider how well founded the professor’s
animosity toward the president is, because that is not the point; the author’s point is that the longstanding feud provides reason to doubt Riley’s characterization of the speech as inflammatory.
 Basia W
|
Hello,

I caught the "unless" in the conclusion but chose D incorrectly.

If I draw out the conditional statement: Inappropriate :arrow: Independent reasons to judge inflammatory is correct answer A simply the contrapositive of this?

Thank you!

Basia
 Nicholas Bruno
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Basia,

I actually don't think the "unless" is critical to getting the right answer here. The conclusion to the argument is that the speech was not inappropriate. However, all of the premises merely discuss that Riley is not competent to discuss whether the speech was *inflammatory*. There are no premises that discuss whether the speech was inappropriate. The stimulus assumes that the two terms are interchangeable, and answer choice (A) points that out and is thus the right answer.

I hope that helps!
 Basia W
|
Hello!

Your explanation makes sense to me but isn't the premise: "speech as inflammatory and argued that it was therefore inappropriate" linking those two ideas together?

Thank you for your help!

Best,

Basia
 Basia W
|
I think I just answered my own question- the terms are interchangeable as you mentioned
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

I have read the explanation below, but it doesn't particularly apply to my question. I don't understand what A is saying and how it designates a flaw in the argument. I found the stimulus flawed, but not wasn't sure specifically why. Can you explain?

- Micah
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Micah,

The argument tries to show that the speech was not inflammatory. Professor Riley argues that if it was inflammatory, it was inappropriate. The argument shows that Professor Riley's judgment about whether it was inflammatory is not to be relied upon, and it continues to focus on whether the speech is inflammatory. If there is no proof, the argument says, the speech was not inappropriate.

This makes sense only if the only way for a speech to be inappropriate is to be inflammatory. If there are other ways to be inappropriate, then the speech might still be so even if it is not inflammatory.

The author and Professor Riley seem to agree:

..... inflammatory :arrow: inappropriate

The author tries to show that, with the inflammatory element lacking, the speech is not inappropriate. Thus:

..... inflammatory :arrow: inappropriate

This is a Mistaken Negation. Thus, the error is one of conditional reasoning. Answer choice (A) directly states this Mistaken Negation.

Robert Carroll
 15veries
|
Hi,

I think I'm confused because I'm not sure where the premise is...
If we think this is the premise
Inflammatory→inappropriate
this is Riley's argument, so we should not trust it right? (the second sentence)
Why do we still use it as premise although the author seems not trusting what Riley says?
How do we know the author and Riley agree on this?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi 15veries,

Actually, the author accepts that premise, which is clear from the conclusion (referencing back to the premise Riley proposed). Given that framework, the author has made a mistaken negation. We only accept it because the author has relied on it. Make sense?
 15veries
|
Hi Emily, Thanks for your reply

Could you clarify which part of the author's argument relies on it?
"unless" part? :-?
I'm still not sure why it's the error discussed in A...

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.