LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (B)

The author believes that car X is more fuel efficient than car Y, because the two cars yielded the same average fuel mileage even though car X was driven in a less fuel-efficient manner than car Y. The argument is structured as follows:
  • Premise: ..... Car X and car Y yielded the same average fuel mileage.

Premise: ..... Car X was driven in a less fuel-efficient manner than car Y was.

Conclusion: ..... Car X is more fuel efficient than car Y.
If you are having trouble understanding the argument, imagine test-driving two cars—a BMW and a Mercedes-Benz. You test-drive the BMW in New York City (where driving is extremely fuel-inefficient), but decide to take the Benz on a long stretch of an empty highway. Naturally, you expect the BMW to have a much lower fuel mileage than the Benz, but this is not the case: both cars yield 25 mpg! So, you conclude that the BMW is a more fuel-efficient car than the Benz.

Instead of spending valuable time drawing up fuel-efficiency formulas, try the Test of Abstraction: two parties did equally well at a competition, even though one of them was put at a disadvantage relative to the other. So, the one that overcame the disadvantage must have compensated for it in some way.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice does not match our prephrase. Furthermore, the conclusion we are looking for represents a comparative claim, not an absolute one (“car X is more efficient than car Y,” not “car X and Y use fuel differently”).

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Just like the two cars, the two hamsters fared the same by gaining the same amount of weight. However, our hamster ate more than the neighbors’ hamster—a disadvantage our hamster had to compensate for, just like the BMW had to compensate for being driven in a less fuel-efficient manner. The hamster compensated for it by burning more calories; the BMW compensated by being a more fuel-efficient car. This answer choice matches the conclusion of the argument and also satisfies our Test of Abstraction.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice may be attractive, because its subject matter is not too far off (biking instead of driving), and the conclusion seems logically sound. However, the pattern of reasoning in the argument is entirely different: here, the author concludes that pedaling downhill yields the best results, because coasting downhill is faster than pedaling on a horizontal path. In other words, by combining two ways of achieving a given objective, one can achieve that objective even better. Clearly, this line of reasoning has no parallel in the stimulus.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is incorrect, because it fails the Premise Test: unlike the two cars yielding the same average fuel mileage, the author gave a lower average estimate than his friend. Furthermore, the conclusion here is not logically valid. There is no reason to believe that the author overestimated the piece’s value whenever he gave the same estimate as his friend.

Answer choice (E): If Jean can see well wearing prescription glasses, obviously her vision is not as good without them. This argument seems logically sound, but its pattern of reasoning bears no resemblance to the one in the stimulus.
 ylikate
|
What is the best way to approach this parallel question on fuel efficiency of car X&Y? I applied "Abstract statement" and landed on AC (D) I was drew to it by the word "Average" since the stimulus says"Avg fuel mileage".

Can someone help me understand why B is the best choice and what is the process of elimination/best approach? Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I, too, went with the Test of Abstraction on this one, with a bit of Doubling the Conclusion thrown in. It may just come down to what you prephrased as your abstraction. In my experience, the more abstract the better.

For that reason, my abstract had nothing to do with "average" - instead, I went with "two things tested as equal, but one of them had a tougher challenge, so that one must really be better." Answer D didn't work for me with that abstract - I didn't have two equal things, but rather two unequal things, and no element of "tougher challenge". B followed my abstraction - two things (hamsters) tested equal (same weight gain) but one had a tougher challenge (ate more food) so it must have been better (burned more calories/was more fuel efficient).

Make sure your abstractions are truly abstract - if you start to pull in the details, like average in this case, you might be focused too narrowly and could miss the parallel argument.

Hope that made sense. Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.