LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer A is certainly the most attractive wrong answer here, Mariam, as can by seen by how many students in this thread continue to ask about it! While that answer does open up the possibility of some alternate cause, it does so in a very weak way, because it doesn't actually point to any particular alternate cause, and because it doesn't do much (if anything) to address the correlation between low levels of the enzyme and the incidence of cancer.

Here's another way to think about it: even if the diets of the people in the study were not all identical in every way, would that harm the argument? Would our author say "oops, wow, I failed to consider that, my bad, never mind my conclusion now"? Or would the author say "sure, diets vary from person to person, both within each group and across the two groups, but when we compared yogurt intake and galactose levels with enzyme levels we saw a very clear correlation between those who had low enzyme levels and those who developed cancer, so we stand by our conclusion." The correct answer to a Flaw question has to do more than just be a true statement. It also has to be something that is a real problem for the argument, one where the author might just hang their head in shame for having made such a grievous error.

Bear in mind that the answer does not say that the diet of one group had differences when compared to the other group. If the cancer group had consumed a lot more Peanut butter than the non-cancer group, for example, that might be an alternate cause. But this answer isn't showing us a difference between groups, but between individuals in those groups.
 lemonade42
|
Hello,

I have a question about why (C) is wrong.
The book says that the central assumption of basic causal conclusions is that the "speaker assumes that the stated cause is the only possible cause of the effect and will always cause the effect". So doesn't that mean we should assume the author thinks that galactose is the only cause of cancer because the conclusion is a causal conclusion. But, a previous response to this question, said we shouldn't assume that. Wouldn't that be going against what the book said?

My original thought when reading the stimulus was that the author doesn't specifically suggest they think that galactose is the only cause. But then I remembered the book saying the central assumption IS to think they assume it's the only cause. So now I'm confused on how to determine why C is wrong.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.