LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

This anthropologist points out that taboos exist in every human culture against eating certain types of animals. This has been attributed by some researchers to practical considerations; domestic animals were more valuable alive than as food, for example, so it would make sense not to eat them. The speaker disagrees with this notion, however, saying that the conclusion is unwarranted: There also exists, the anthropologist points out, the possibility that taboos appeared first, based on symbolic or ritualistic significance, and the animals that were not to be eaten were then used in other ways.

The question stem asks for the anthropologist’s method of reasoning. In this case, the anthropologist considers one hypothesis (that taboos against eating certain animals arose as a result of practical considerations) and is unconvinced, based on the existence of another possible explanation (that the taboos existed first, and the practical outcomes followed).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed, the anthropologist questions the practical explanation of taboos by pointing out a different explanation of the same evidence.

Answer choice (B): The anthropologist does not attempt to establish that the given explanation is false; the conclusion is that the explanation is unwarranted given at least one other possible explanation. This choice does not describe the author’s approach, so it cannot be the right answer to this Method of Reasoning question.

Answer choice (C): The author of the stimulus only asserts that the conclusion of some researchers is “unwarranted,” given the fact that the existence of taboos and their accompanying pragmatic applications “might have arisen” with the taboos appearing first, followed by people’s finding uses for the animals other than slaughter. The author doesn’t quite reject the researchers’ reasoning, nor does the author believe that the alternative explanation is necessarily more plausible, so this choice does not describe the anthropologist’s method of reasoning.

Answer choice (D): The author does not cite incompatible evidence in support of a conclusion. Instead, the author merely provides another possible explanation for the same evidence (the evidence being the existence of taboos against eating domestic animals, and the fact that such animals were used for purposes other than slaughter). This choice does not accurately describe the anthropologist’s method of reasoning, so it should be ruled out of contention.

Answer choice (E): The author suggests that there could be another explanation, but does not go so far as to argue that the alternative explanation is the right one, so this is not the method of reasoning reflected in the stimulus.
 sarae
|
why is C incorrect?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sarae,

The author only asserts that the conclusion of some researchers is “unwarranted,” given the fact that the existence of taboos and their accompanying pragmatic applications “might have arisen” with the taboos appearing first, followed by people’s finding uses for the animals other than slaughter. The author doesn’t quite go so far as to reject the researchers’ reasoning, nor does the author believe that the alternative explanation presented is necessarily more plausible, so answer choice C does not accurately describe the anthropologist’s method of reasoning.

Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 sarae
|
true true. i feel stupid when i read some of the explanations but your answers are great! thanks steve!
 Dianapoo
|
Steve Stein wrote:Hi sarae,

The author only asserts that the conclusion of some researchers is “unwarranted,” given the fact that the existence of taboos and their accompanying pragmatic applications “might have arisen” with the taboos appearing first, followed by people’s finding uses for the animals other than slaughter. The author doesn’t quite go so far as to reject the researchers’ reasoning, nor does the author believe that the alternative explanation presented is necessarily more plausible, so answer choice C does not accurately describe the anthropologist’s method of reasoning.

Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
He obviously thinks it's more plausible. He said that the other scientists claims are unwarranted. He obviously doesn't think his own claim is unwarranted (that's just common sense). So he obviously then thinks his claim is more plausible. Second, the conclusion is part of his reasoning. My goodness
 Michaeltinti22
|
Dianapoo,

So I also got this question wrong, but after reading the explanations over I agree with LSAT/powerscore on this one. Note that the author didn't state that the reasoning used was expressly incorrect, just that it is not the only possible explanation, and therefore may not necessarily be correct. As pointed out already, the key phrase is "might instead." If the author was arguing their method of reasoning was more plausible, you would see stronger wording here. "Might instead" conveys the proposal of an alternative explanation to demonstrate the original argument is not the only possible explanation. That's how I read it, at least.

Anyways, although I initially chose C, on my BR I chose E. I chose E because I read the original argument as a causal one, in that domestication caused taboos to come up. On the other hand, the author argues for a reverse of this causal argument, wherein the taboos resulted in domestication. I read the "occurred in a different sequence" as flipping the cause and effect. I understand now that the author doesn't go as far as to claim their explanation is strictly correct, which disqualifies this answer. But if that strong language was removed from E, would it be correct?
 Dianapoo
|
Michaeltinti22 wrote:Dianapoo,

So I also got this question wrong, but after reading the explanations over I agree with LSAT/powerscore on this one. Note that the author didn't state that the reasoning used was expressly incorrect, just that it is not the only possible explanation, and therefore may not necessarily be correct. As pointed out already, the key phrase is "might instead." If the author was arguing their method of reasoning was more plausible, you would see stronger wording here. "Might instead" conveys the proposal of an alternative explanation to demonstrate the original argument is not the only possible explanation. That's how I read it, at least.

Anyways, although I initially chose C, on my BR I chose E. I chose E because I read the original argument as a causal one, in that domestication caused taboos to come up. On the other hand, the author argues for a reverse of this causal argument, wherein the taboos resulted in domestication. I read the "occurred in a different sequence" as flipping the cause and effect. I understand now that the author doesn't go as far as to claim their explanation is strictly correct, which disqualifies this answer. But if that strong language was removed from E, would it be correct?
Hey thank you for your response! I agree now that the "might" should have given it away. My problem was the "their conclusion is unwarranted." The problem I have with a lot of questions is interpreting the strength of the repudiation. Are they going so far as to say "you're wrong" or "that's not necessarily wrong, but what you're saying is suspect."
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Diana,

Good question! It's critical to understand the meaning of the conclusion.

So let's think about unwarranted. It's not as strong as saying "that's untrue." It's saying that the conclusion is not fully supported. The idea of "unwarranted" is that researcher's conclusion was not able to be supported by the evidence the researchers cite.

I hope that helps
Rachael
 snowy
|
Is E also wrong because the first hypothesis doesn’t explicit the sequence as E suggests it does? The author does offer that they could’ve occurred in a different sequence, but that’s not adequate to characterize the first hypothesis as being “about a sequence of events” right?
 Erik Shum
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Snowy,

The first hypothesis does describe a sequence, although the sequences is so simple that few would describe it as such: animal attains practical utility --> taboo "originates" against eating that animal.

So answer choice (E) cannot be eliminated solely because it describes the first hypothesis as being "about the sequence."

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.