LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (A)

This doctor is a proponent of taxing junk food, based on the fact that in many countries the excessive consumption of junk food contributes to serious health issues. Since increasing the prices to make junk food more expensive than health food would incentivize dietary change, the doctor believes that taxing junk food would benefit public health.

The argument breaks down as follows:
  • Premise: ..... In many countries, excessive junk food contributes to serious health issues.

Premise: ..... If the junk food were much more expensive than health food, dietary changes would result.

Conclusion: ..... Public health would benefit from junk food taxation.
The question that follows asks for the doctor’s main conclusion. As discussed, the main conclusion of the argument is that taxing junk food would be beneficial to public health.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. As prephrased above, the doctor’s conclusion is that public health would benefit from taxing junk food.

Answer choice (B): As discussed above, the point that excess junk food contributes to serious health issues is a premise upon which the author’s conclusion is based; it is not the author’s main conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This is not the doctor’s conclusion, but rather a premise (that more expensive junk food would incentivize beneficial dietary changes) which supports the author’s main point—that taxing junk food would be good for public health.

Answer choice (D): This choice is an interesting sort of mid-step between the premises and the author’s main point, that it would benefit public health if junk food were taxed.

Answer choice (E): If this choice was appealing, that might be because it appears phrased to deceive. This choice provides that junk food should be taxed if doing so would benefit public health. The doctor’s main point is that taxing junk food would benefit public health, so this does not reflect the doctor’s main conclusion and should be ruled out of contention.
 VamosRafa19
|
I got this question right on my first pass, then wrong on blind review by picking answer choice D. I think I got in my head a little bit and thought the test makers wouldn't put the main conclusion in the first sentence and easy to identify. My thought process for D was the author was really trying to get at people reducing the junk food they eat, so if it was taxed then the proportion would be reduced. Looking at it now I'm not even sure D is supported by the stimulus. Could someone provide a little more info on why D is wrong?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi VamosRafa19!

As described in the explanation, answer choice (D) isn't explicitly stated in the argument but sort of a midpoint (maybe even an assumption) that the author is making in connecting the premises to the conclusion. With a Main Point question like this that isn't a fill in the blank, you really want to identify the exact sentence that is the conclusion and then that's what you're looking for in the answer choices. So, really, the main reason that answer choice (D) is wrong is because the exact sentence that is the conclusion in this stimulus is the first sentence, and answer choice (A) accurately reflects that sentence.

It can get tricky once you know all of the traps that the LSAT likes to set for you, but don't assume that because something feels "easy" it must be wrong. Oftentimes, the more you learn about and have experience with this test, the more some things will seem "easy" to you, even though they're not necessarily easy to someone who has not been studying for the test in the same way as you. It reflects on your deeper understanding of the test, rather than on the actual difficulty of the question. So don't assume traps where there are none. For conclusions, it simply comes down to finding the statement that is supported by everything else in the stimulus. If you've practiced identifying conclusions regularly, it should become fairly easy for you to apply this skill! (Also, worth remembering that those first 10 questions are typically on the easier end relative to other LSAT questions--so don't overthink and make them harder than they need to be!)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.