LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption—SN. The correct answer choice is (D)

As we saw with question 20, this is an Assumption question in which conditional reasoning plays a dominant role.
The author of this stimulus describes some erroneous ideas many astronomers once held about the relationship between Earth and the stars. At one time, many astronomers assumed that Earth remains motionless while the stars revolve around it. Based on this assumption, the astronomers concluded that the stars could not be more than a few million miles from Earth.

The astronomers reached this conclusion after considering that if the stars were farther away from Earth, they would have to move at tremendously great speeds in order to circle Earth during the day and reappear in roughly the same positions each night. This conditional relationship can be diagrammed as:

FA = stars farther away f rom Earth than a few million miles
TGS = stars move at tremendously great speeds
  • FA ..... :arrow: ..... TGS
Recall the astronomers’ conclusion that stars were not more than a few million miles from Earth. In keeping with the terms we just used in the conditional relationship above, their conclusion would be symbolized as “FA”. This should prompt you to consider the contrapositive of that relationship:
  • TGS ..... :arrow: ..... FA
Since the stimulus provides no other evidence to support the astronomers’ conclusion that the stars were not more than a few million miles from Earth, it must be the case that the astronomers assumed that the stars are not capable of moving at tremendously great speeds (i.e., TGS).

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is irrelevant to the conclusion, because the assumption expressly provided by the stimulus as underlying the astronomer’s argument was that Earth remains motionless while the stars revolve around it.

Answer choice (B): The stimulus dealt only with the speed of the stars in terms of their positions relative to Earth, and not with the speed of stars relative to each other.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is inconsistent with the stimulus, which expressly stated the astronomers reached their conclusion based, in part, on their belief that Earth remains motionless.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. As described above, this information is required for the conclusion to be valid. If stars do move at tremendously great speeds, then there would be no support for the astronomers’ conclusion regarding the stars’ distances from Earth.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is tricky. While it explicitly references the distance of “a million miles,” it implicitly relates not only to stars just over a million miles from Earth, but also any star at any distance “more than a million miles from Earth.” So, for this answer choice to be correct, it would be required for the astronomers’ conclusion that a star one billion, or even one trillion miles from Earth could reappear in roughly the same position each night. While it is clear from the stimulus that the astronomers believed a star only a few million miles from Earth could reappear in roughly the same position each night, when taken to its extreme, this answer choice is actually inconsistent with the astronomers’ conclusion, rather than being required by it.
 blade21cn
|
I'm totally lost with this question. Can any expert break the stimulus down? My interpretation is that this is about many astronomers' argument, starting with the first sentence as their conclusion. The second and third/last sentence also start with "they," providing premises in support of the astronomers' conclusion. As far as I can see, there's no other argument, though the first sentence sounds like introducing an opposing. Does the author provide his argument, as I cannot find any clues? Based on the question stem, are we supposed to identify the necessary assumption of the astronomers' argument? Thanks!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The conclusion is slightly less important in this question because it is such a strange stimulus where we are examining a known false argument that is not the authors.

However, I would say the second sentence is the conclusion, because they concluded the second sentence from the first sentence.

The assumption is that moving at great speeds and appearing in roughly the same place is impossible. But I think more importantly, because this is a strange stimulus, you are going to rely heavily on the negation test to kind of wreck their argument.

Answer choice D when negated says: "stars do move at tremendously great speeds," which directly goes against the arguments assumption which completely destroys their argument.

Hope this helps.
 Jude.m.stone@gmail.com
|
Hi, I got this question correct but I wanted to make sure I got it right by thinking about it in the best way. I understand why D is correct and I thought I understood why E is incorrect, but after reading this discussion post I'm confused. I get the original poster's point that if you take E to the extreme, it shows early astronomers didn't think that stars, say, 1 trillion miles away could reappear in roughly the same spot.

But I'm stuck on the fact that E uses a different distance than the stimulus: answer choice E refers to stars "more than a million miles" away and the stimulus refers to stars "not more than a few million miles" away (so let's say anywhere from 1 million miles away to, at a maximum, a few million miles away). The stimulus also says they believed that the stars reappeared in roughly the same position every night (which is what helps prove that they assumed stars can't move at tremendous speeds). So based on all of that, didn't they also have to assume that stars more than a million miles away (even just a few million miles away) could reappear in roughly the same spot?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jude, the uncertainty of answer choice (E) is the point! In some situations, (where it's between a million and a few million miles away) the answer choice describes something necessary. In others, (where the star is further away) the answer choice is not describing something necessary. Therefore, it's not a required assumption. We don't know if we need it or not. It has an underdetermined impact on the argument.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.