LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Point at Issue. The correct answer choice is (A)

James argues that the primary goals of community colleges differ from those of universities: the former strive to meet the educational needs of their communities, whereas the latter do not. Margaret disagrees, claiming that universities, too, aim to serve the needs of their communities. She also observes that people attend colleges and universities for the same reason: to prepare themselves for a career. The last observation is quite unexpected, as it is entirely irrelevant to the central point at issue.

The correct answer to this Point at Issue question will contain a factual statement that passes the Agree/Disagree Test, i.e. it must produce responses where one speaker would say, “Yes, I agree with this statement” and the other speaker would say, “No, I disagree with it.” Unless both responses are produced, the answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, because Margaret would agree with the statement and James would disagree with it. Margaret begins her argument by suggesting that the primary goal of any university is to serve the needs of the community where it is located. James believes that to be true of community colleges, but not of universities, as their primary goals differ in that respect. Answer choice (A) passes the Agree/Disagree Test, and is therefore the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B): Whether universities adequately serve the educational needs of their communities cannot be deduced from either argument.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is incorrect, because it does not pass the Agree/Disagree Test. Margaret would clearly agree with this statement, claiming that the main reason people have for attending either academic institution is to prepare themselves for a career. James’ response, on the other hand, would be less than clear. His argument focuses on the institutional goals of colleges and universities, not on the personal goals and aspirations of those who attend them. Consequently, we cannot determine his opinion regarding people’s motivations for attending a university.

Answer choice (D): Neither speaker delves into the specific educational needs of a “typical community.” This answer choice falls entirely outside the scope of either argument.

Answer choice (E): As with answer choice (C), this answer choice is incorrect because it does not pass the Agree/Disagree Test. Margaret would clearly agree with this statement; in fact, it directly restates the second sentence of her response. It is unclear, however, whether James would agree or disagree with this claim. As mentioned earlier, his argument focuses on the institutional goals of colleges and universities, not on the personal goals of those who attend them. These are two separate issues altogether. Consequently, he would not necessarily disagree with the statement that people attend a university for the same reason as they do a community college.
 starre
|
For this question, I had my answer choices narrowed down to A and E. I picked E, and I don't understand how A is better. What is the reasoning behind E being incorrect? What is the reasoning behind A being correct?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For this Point at Issue question, Starre, try this test: ask yourself what each of the two respondents would say to each of the answer choices. Be careful to base your answers solely on the text, no outside info. If for either of the speakers you say "I'm not sure", then that must be a wrong answer. We want an answer choice to which one person says yes and the other says no; one says true and the other says false; one says all and the other says none.

What would James say about why people attend either a University or a Community College? I think we can only say "I don't know, he doesn't talk about that." For that reason, E cannot be the correct answer.

What would James say to answer A? He would say that is false. He would say that is a goal of community colleges, but universities have different goals. What would Margaret say? She would say true, as that essentially repeats her argument.

That's how we prove that A is the winner here. We call it the "Agree/Disagree Test". Give it a try!

Thanks for your question!
 swong1267
|
One thing that I struggled with was serving the needs of a community versus serving the educational needs of the community (Margaret vs. James). Is this difference not a big deal?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Not a big enough deal to make any other choice better, swong! It's still the best of the bunch. Good question, thanks for asking!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.