LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—PR. The correct answer choice is (C)

This stimulus has an unusual structure: it presents a problem, and then outlines a principle relating to that problem. The question stem asks us to identify a judgment concerning the problem that the principle most helps to justify. In other words, our job is to resolve the problem by using the principle provided in the stimulus. This is simply a Must Be True—Principle question in disguise, as the correct answer must follow from the application of the principle.

Here’s the problem: the Thimble Corporation distributed rebate coupons for one of its products, but some of the coupons expired too early. As a result, customers assumed that the offer had already expired, and potentially missed out on the rebate. This situation is described as “unfair,” making the principle directly applicable to its resolution: the result of an unfair situation must be rectified by those who created the situation. Like most principles, this one is conditional in nature (“anyone… has an obligation to…”):
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... S ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... N
    Principle: ..... Create unfair situation ..... :arrow: ..... Rectify the result of that situation

Since the situation created by the Thimble Corporation is said to be unfair, the principle would require the company to somehow compensate customers who were adversely affected by the incorrect expiration date. Note that the principle can only be used to affirm, not relieve, corporate obligation. This is because the condition under which an obligation is said to exist is sufficient, and not necessary, for that obligation to exist. The best way to approach the answer choices, then, would be to examine their conclusions first: unless the conclusion affirms Thimble’s obligation to compensate the customers who were adversely affected, the answer choice would be incorrect. By the process of elimination, we can immediately see that answer choice (C) is correct.

Answer choice (A): There is no evidence that the customers who were misled decided to apply for the rebate anyway. Furthermore, the principle cannot be used to relieve a company of its obligations.

Answer choice (B): The problem concerns those customers who were adversely affected by the incorrect expiration date, not those who knowingly chose not to apply for the rebate. Furthermore, it is entirely unclear why Thimble and its customers should share some of the responsibility for creating an unfair situation.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. If any customers missed out on the rebate because they were misled into believing that it had already expired, this would classify as an “unfair result” caused by an “unfair situation.” Since the unfair situation (misinformation) was created by the Thimble Corporation, the principle would require the corporation to rectify the result of that situation. Because this answer choice directly follows from the application of the principle to the problem at hand, it is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D): Whether the company will manage to identify all of the customers who were adversely affected by the incorrect expiration date remains unclear. Furthermore, denying the rebate to everyone who had applied for it would adversely affect an even greater number of customers. It is unclear how this could possibly rectify the unfair situation created by the Thimble Corporation.

Answer choice (E): As previously mentioned, the principle cannot be used to relieve a company of its obligations. Also, the problem at hand concerns those customers who were adversely affected by the incorrect expiration date, not those who were denied the rebate for some other reason.
 15veries
|
Hi, I'm not sure what unfair situation it created...
It's not a question about the reasoning, but...
How distributing rebate coupons created the unfair situation?
Also, the correct answer C says "identify them and offer them the rebate" but this specific thing is not discussed in the principle, but since it is justify question we can go broader right?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The unfair situation was that, among customers who bought the same product, some received coupons with the correct rebate coupon expiration date and others received coupons with the incorrect date. This is unfair because if customers think an offer has expired, they will likely not attempt to redeem it.

Answer C states an example of one possible way that the problem could be solved according to the principle: "Anyone who creates an unfair situation has an obligation to rectify any unfair result of that situation." As you say, you can "go broader" than what is contained in the stimulus because the answer choices provide possible judgments on the problem, one of which correctly applies the principle.
 lsatstudier
|
Hi,

Why is D incorrect? I kind of see why C is correct since it is rectifying an unfair result. However, I'm worried if I come across a question like this again, I won't know how to find the correct answer.

Thank you!!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatstudier wrote:Hi,

Why is D incorrect? I kind of see why C is correct since it is rectifying an unfair result. However, I'm worried if I come across a question like this again, I won't know how to find the correct answer.

Thank you!!

Hello lsatstudier,

Answer D is sort of an opposite answer, which lets the Thimble Corporation off the hook and lets them deny the rebate to everybody.
Try to look for an answer which solves the problem, as answer C does, instead of one like D which makes the problem worse. That may be helpful.

Hope this helps,
David
 meercat44
|
Hi there, I'm similarly stuck on why D isn't right. Maybe I'm not understanding how they're defining "fairness." I was stuck between C and D, but C seemed to contain too many "ifs" - what if they can't identify all those customers? Then the fairness problem is not rectified. At least with D, by saying, OK, no one gets the rebate, it's a level playing field.

Any guidance here would be great, thanks!
 Who Ray
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Meercat!

Let me see if an analogy helps. I'm planning a party and I print out invitations, but then I remember that I will be out of town on the date on the invitation. So I print out some more that have a date that I will be home. Unfortunately, I get distracted, and I accidentally mix some of the old invitations with the new ones. I only realize this a few days later after I have mailed the invitations. In this situation, If people show up to my house for the party on the date of the old invitation, they will show up to an empty house, and have a terrible time. That does not seem fair.
Should I 1: go out of town on the date of the new invitation as well, so everyone shows up to a house that is empty?
Or 2: send out a whole new batch of invitations so everyone is on the same page and can come to the party?

In this analogy, 1 is corresponds to answer choice D and 2 corresponds to answer C (If I did my job right)

Furthermore, the unfairness seems to be that someone was denied the opportunity to apply for a rebate. This makes the "ifs" in AC C a strength. If I knew, for a fact, that no one was going to come to my party regardless of what day I held it, I would not feel obligated to fix any of the invitations. Same thing in this question. If the company knew for sure that no one would apply for the rebate, there would not be any unfairness. However, in the hypothetical raised in AC C, there is someone who was unrightfully denied an opportunity to apply for the rebate.

Hope that helps and have a good one!
Who Ray

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.