LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen. The correct answer choice is (B)

The author of this stimulus discusses the laws implemented to reduce the harm caused by the introduction of the toxic chemical XTX into the environment. In most industrial waste products that contain the toxic chemical XTX, the concentration of this chemical is approximately 1,000 parts per million. A federal law intended to reduce the harm that can result from the introduction of XTX into the environment permits a company to dispose of these waste products in a dump for hazardous waste. However, a company is only permitted to dispose of its waste in such a dump if the concentration of XTX is below 500 parts per million. If the concentration is above 500 parts per million, then the waste must be destroyed by incineration, rather than by disposal in the dump. Additionally, the law states that manufacturers may not dilute XTX-containing waste products to bring their concentration of XTX down to a permissible level for dumping.

The question stem in this question is a bit unusual. It asks you to select the answer choice that most supports the inclusion of the antidilution provision of the law. You can treat this as a Strengthen question, in which the conclusion needing support is that manufacturers should not be permitted to dilute XTX-containing waste products to bring their concentration of XTX down to a permissible level for dumping. Thus, in effect this is a Strengthen question.

Treating this stimulus as described above produces the following structure:
  • Premise: ..... In most industrial waste products that contain the toxic chemical XTX, the concentration of this ..... ..... ..... ..... chemical is approximately 1,000 parts per million.

Premise: ..... The introduction of XTX into the environment can result in harm.

Premise: ..... Waste products with XTX concentrations of 500 parts per million or above must be destroyed by ..... ..... ..... ..... incineration, rather than disposed of in a hazardous waste dump.

Conclusion: ..... Manufacturers should not be permitted to dilute XTX-containing waste products to bring their ..... ..... ..... ..... concentration of XTX down to a permissible level for dumping.
Additional information is needed to support the conclusion that manufacturers should not be permitted to dilute their XTX-containing waste. The reason for the federal law in general is that the introduction of XTX into the environment produces harm. Information that the dilution by manufacturers of their XTX-containing waste products to bring the XTX concentration down to less than 500 parts per million would also cause harm is information that would support the conclusion. Your prephrase is that the correct answer choice will contain this information.

Answer choice (A): This information is irrelevant to the conclusion, because it describes a danger resulting from the improper incineration of undiluted concentrations of XTX. The conclusion, as described above, has to do with the dumping of diluted XTX.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. This information establishes that introducing diluted XTX into the environment in sufficient quantities is just as harmful as more concentrated XTX. This information supports the position that manufacturers should not be permitted to dilute XTX-containing waste products to bring their XTX concentrations down to a permissible level for dumping.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice undermines, though it does not invalidate, the need for any restriction on dumping XTX into the environment.

Answer choice (D): The stimulus established that in most industrial waste products that contain XTX, the concentration is approximately 1,000 parts per million. The government permits disposing of the chemical in toxic waste dumps only if the concentration of XTX is below 500 parts per million. This answer choice states that most owners of dumps for hazardous waste are willing to accept XTX for disposal only in concentrations below 800 parts per million. This means that the dump owners are willing to accept XTX for disposal at limits in excess of what is permitted by law. The willingness of the dump owners to accept waste with concentrations that would be in violation of the law does not affect the conclusion that manufacturers should not be permitted to dilute XTX-containing waste to bring their concentration of XTX down to a permissible level for dumping. The basis for this rule was the harm to the environment posed by even diluted XTX, not the position on the issue taken by dump owners.

Answer choice (E): This is the Opposite answer choice. If the cost of diluting XTX-containing waste were approximately the same as the cost of destroying these products by incineration, then manufacturers would have no reason to dilute the XTX-containing waste. This renders the antidilution provision largely redundant, weakening the argument in support of its inclusion.
 fwilliams
|
Hello,

This is the one question I got wrong on this whole section when I did the October 2013 LSAT as a PT! Can you please explain why B is the correct answer? I had put A.

Thank you!

Faye
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

First of all, nice work! 24/25 is a great performance. As for question #25, the law in question regulates the dumping of the dangerous chemical, and the question requires you to find the answer choice that provides the most support for the portion of the law that prohibits dilution of the chemical. The correct answer choice, therefore, will be the one that provides reason to minimize the dilution of the chemical.

If, as correct answer choice (B) provides, the diluted version of the chemical is just as harmful as the full strength, that provides a good reason to avoid the production of such diluted concentrations for the purpose of dumping, thus arguing strongly for that prohibition.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

Steve
 fwilliams
|
Thank you Steve! That makes sense. I think I misinterpreted the question such that I was looking for something to support dilution, or argue against the anti-dilution provision, instead of for it. Thanks!
 starre
|
I made the same mistake as the original poster. How is B supporting not diluting again? To me it seems like it is saying that not diluting is the same as diluting, which doesn't really support or weaken the stimulus.
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We are looking for the answer choice that supports the antidilution provision. You are right that the correct answer, (B), explains that diluting XTX does not make it less harmful than keeping concentrated. Notice that without the antidilution provision, the law would allow businesses to dump XTX if they added enough water (diluted) to achieve a concentration below 500 parts per million. Concentration refers to the quantity of polutant divided by volume, so you can create a lower concentration without changing the amount of the pollutant and instead simply add water. The antidilution provision was added so that companies could not simply add water, dump the waste, but still contribute the same amount of harm that the law seeks to prevent.
 jdavidwik
|
...so "a dump for hazardous waste" is equivalent to "the environment"? I pictured a dump site where the lower concentration chemical would be contained, away from the environment or not seeping out into the greater environment, but it seems they are equated here.
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey jdavidwik,

I don't think that the dumpsite is equivalent to the environment like you said. I think the dumpsite is probably a part of the environment.

If we expel harmful chemicals into the dumpsite, that may harm the surrounding environment.

But it's best not to overcomplicate this question. Answer choice B makes diluted chemicals as harmful as undiluted chemicals, so this would support the anti-delusion provision.

I hope this helps you a bit, and good luck with your studies!

Best,
Ryan
 Snomen
|
There is no support from the premises to this Conclusion, how did you guys figure out that the last sentence is the conclusion? Even if I ask "why" after reading the last sentence, these alleged premises doesn't provide any reasonable answer...How did you figure out that the last sentence must be the conclusion?
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi snomen!

The question stem itself specifies that we must strengthen the "inclusion of the antidilution provision" of the law discussed in the stimulus, which is why the last sentence is the 'conclusion' we need to support!

I hope this helps :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.