LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning—CE. The correct answer choice is (D)

In this stimulus, Peter is discussing recent evidence about moderate alcohol consumption. It turns out that when we consume alcohol, it creates in our bodies an environment that is inhospitable for certain bacteria that can cause illness. This environment is said to be just one of the “beneficial effects” of moderate alcohol consumption:

MAC = moderate alcohol consumption
BE (IEB) = beneficial effects, including an inhospitable environment in the human body for certain bacteria that can cause illness

Cause ..... ..... ..... Effect

MAC ..... :arrow: ..... BE (IEB)

From this evidence, Peter optimistically concludes that, on balance, alcohol consumption is beneficial. This conclusion is flawed, because it shifts from evidence of moderate alcohol consumption to alcohol consumption without restriction. The broadly stated conclusion that alcohol consumption is, on balance, beneficial is also suspect. The stimulus used the plural “effects,” but did not make clear how many beneficial effects result from alcohol consumption, nor how those beneficial effects offset what LSAC will likely assume we understand to be the negative effects of alcohol consumption.

We know from the question stem that this is a Flaw in the Reasoning question. Our prephrase is that the argument is flawed because its expansive conclusion goes beyond the more constrained evidence of a single benefit of moderate alcohol consumption.

Answer choice (A): The argument is about the effect of alcohol consumption, not about the intent of people in consuming alcohol.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice fails the Fact Test, because the argument does not “draw a comparison,” let alone a comparison “based on popular belief.”

Answer choice (C): While this answer choice passes the Fact Test, it is incorrect for another reason. It passes the Fact Test, because it accurately states that the argument does not “consider methods of achieving the same beneficial effects that do not involve alcohol.” However, it is incorrect because it improperly describes this as a failure. On the contrary, other potential methods of achieving the same effects are not relevant to the argument, which concluded, though improperly, only that a particular beneficial effect made the consumption of alcohol, on balance, beneficial.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, because it describes Peter’s error in reaching a general conclusion about alcohol consumption from evidence that was limited to moderate alcohol consumption.

Answer choice (E): As with answer choice (C), this choice passes the Fact Test, but is incorrect nonetheless. It passes the Fact Test, because the argument did not discuss the possibility that “alcohol may have no effect on many bacteria that cause illness in human beings.” However, the argument was not flawed because of its silence on this topic, which is not relevant to the conclusion. The conclusion did not make a broad claim that alcohol consumption can attack all, many, or even most bacteria that cause illness. Rather, Peter spoke generally about the “beneficial effects” of alcohol consumption, one of which happened to be creating an inhospitable environment for a certain bacteria.
 ChicaRosa
|
I am confused about what the conclusion means is it saying that drinking alcohol moderately is beneficial? I thought it meant that because of the term "on balance" in the conclusion.

Thanks!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Chica,

"On balance" does not mean "in moderation;" "on balance" means "all things considered." In other words, it means that one has thought about the pros and the cons of something. I hope this helps!
 JD180
|
I have all the powerscore books, but does powerscore detail the sorts of vocabulary that most people are remiss about but that should be commonly understood?
 Sky Brooks
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JD180,

So there isn't a list of terms that must be understood because the test is written so that it may be understood without any specific or technical knowledge. Are there any specific phrases that you have been seeing on tests that you would like explained?

-Sky Brooks
 JD180
|
Sky Brooks wrote:Hi JD180,

So there isn't a list of terms that must be understood because the test is written so that it may be understood without any specific or technical knowledge. Are there any specific phrases that you have been seeing on tests that you would like explained?

-Sky Brooks
Hi Sky,

Yes. For example, Harried means harassed. I wasn't born in the renaissance period, I didn't know that.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
JD180 wrote:I have all the powerscore books, but does powerscore detail the sorts of vocabulary that most people are remiss about but that should be commonly understood?
Hi JD,

No, there's not a list because it would be impossible to create such a list and have it be all that useful. That's because each person is different in terms of what vocabulary they know, and also because the terms LSAC chooses to use are unpredictable. Add to it that there are thousands of possibilities, and suddenly we have a list that is gigantic but not comprehensive. It would be larger than the LRB, I'd bet!

That aside, it's not commonplace that one runs into phrases like this, but with the wealth of words in the English language, it's almost inevitable that it will happen sooner or later.

We do talk about vocab, and while these discussions are not lists, they might be of some help:

Vocabulary and LSAT Prep

LSAT Quantity Terminology

LSAT Vocabulary Quiz

Thanks!
 JD180
|
Thank you Dave
 Sambenz
|
I chose E because I didn't think the premise about the bacteria inhospitable environment was connected to the moderate drinking part. It seems stupid to think that alcohol only creates an inhospitable environment when it is drunk moderately. I would label that within the common sense category, and not bringing in outside knowledge. I eliminated D because I felt that the two premises did not seem connected.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.