LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Strengthen—PR. The correct answer choice is (E)

The literary critic begins the stimulus with the argument’s conclusion, that “there is little of social
significance in contemporary novels.” In support of this conclusion, the critic points out that if
readers are to enter the internal world of the novelist’s mind, they have to experience that internal
world from the moral perspective of the novel’s characters. The problem with contemporary novels,
the critic says, is that in those novels the transgressive acts committed by some characters against
other characters are not included to be seen as injustices, but rather as sensationalistic spectacles
designed to keep the reader’s attention. For these reasons, the critic concludes that contemporary
novels have little social significance.

The critic’s argument is very weak, because nothing in the premises connects directly to the idea
of social significance introduced in the conclusion. We can infer that the author is telling us that
because the transgressive acts of the novels’ characters are not included to be seen as injustices, then
the reader is not able to enter the internal world of the novelist’s mind. However, that is as far as we
can go. We cannot make the further connection between being unable to enter the internal world of
the novelist’s mind and having social significance.

This is a Strengthen—Principle question. Our prephrase is that the correct answer choice will tell us
that a novel’s social significance is connected to the ability of the reader to enter the internal world of
the novelist’s mind. Do not worry about predicting the precise language that the answer choice will
use. Simply look for that connection and ensure from the entire context of the answer choice that it
in fact supports the conclusion.

Answer choice (A): Although the critic is talking about “contemporary” novels, this answer choice
has an emphasis on past novels versus contemporary novels that was not present in the stimulus and
does not support the conclusion.

Answer choice (B): Even assuming that empathizing with a victim of injustice is meant to be
logically the same as the concept in the stimulus of experiencing the inner world of the novelist from
the moral perspective of the novel’s characters, this answer choice is incorrect because the critic only
referenced the lack of scenes whose purpose is to show injustice. There is no indication that the critic
would say that sensationalistic scenes are a problem if the novel also contained other scenes that
showed the injustice of the characters’ transgressive acts.

Answer choice (C): Here, knowing that a socially important work must engage the moral
sensibilities of the audience does not strengthen the conclusion that contemporary novels have little
social significance. Remember that we want to strengthen the connection between readers entering
the internal world of the novelist’s mind and the social significance of the novel. The inability of
the reader to enter that world is what prompts the critic to reach the conclusion, while the failure
to engage the moral sensibilities of the audience is just one reason why the reader cannot enter that
inner world.

Answer choice (D): Again, this answer choice has the wrong focus. We are looking to strengthen the
connection between entering the inner world of the author’s mind and social significance. That is
the relationship apparently relied on by the critic, and that is where the connection should occur to
strengthen the conclusion.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice, because it provides a rule telling us that
if a novel is to have social significance, then it must allow readers to enter the internal world of the
author’s mind. This is the connection we need to establish for the conclusion to be valid.
 mokkyukkyu
|
I think what confused me was the unfamiliar words such as internal world...it's too abstruct and I could not understand what it's talking about.
Could anyone explain what's discussed in the stimulus using examples?
Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We could speculate as to what those words mean here, mokkyukkyu, but there is little point in doing so, because defining what those words mean in this context is irrelevant to selecting the best answer. The fact that the words and concepts remain undefined should tell you that you don't actually need to know what they are. All you need to do, as Nikki explained, is connect "social significance" with "internal world". Getting hung up on definitions is a sign that you are overthinking things in your analysis, instead of focusing on connecting the "new" or "rogue" elements in the premises with those in the conclusion.

Try this argument out:

My Uncle cannot grasp the fenacinerity of the inner workings of a framblejammer. Thus, he will never truly understand how a framblejammer can be a pancreas.

Ignore the unfamiliar words - they are gibberish, and I didn't define them, so you don't need to know what they are. Focus instead on connecting the rogue elements in the argument. My premise and my conclusion both talked about framblejammers, so that's not a rogue element and will likely not appear in the correct answer (or at least, it isn't needed in the correct answer). The premise mentioned fenacinerity; the conclusion brought up understanding and a pancreas. Link those things to find your strengthen, or justify, or assumption answer: One cannot understand how a thing can be a pancreas without understanding its fenacinerity.

Don't let vocabulary issues get in the way of logical analysis. If you truly have a vocabulary issue, as may sometimes happen when the argument is based on your understanding of a word or phrase that it does not define (meaning the authors assume that the average reader should already know what they mean), then all you can do is use context clues and logical analysis of the remainder of the stimulus and stem, and if all else fails, guess and move on. Here, in this question, the vocabulary doesn't matter, because the logical structure of the argument is plain despite the challenging vocab. Use that structure, and vocab becomes as meaningless and unimportant as a framblejammer.
 jmramon
|
Hi,

I came to a different conclusion as to why "D" is incorrect--mistaken reversal. Is this interpretation also correct? I don't think "a reader understanding injustice from the point of view of its victims" is irrelevant, since the stimulus states this is another way to enter the internal world of the novelist's mind to understand the injustice.

"E" merely seems to correctly restate the order of the sufficient and necessary conditions in the stimulus to strengthen the argument, which "D" failed to do correctly. Am I right?

Thanks!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ramon,

The shift in answer choice (D) from "characters" to "victims" makes question how to relate this to the stimulus. If you read the two terms as synonymous, you would read choice (D) as a reversal.

Remember though, that new information on Strengthen questions is allowed. The correct answer does not have to be proven by the stimulus, you just have to ask yourself how it affects the argument. Saying that an answer choice was not proven by the stimulus is the wrong way to evaluate a Strengthen question.

Take another look at the answer choices with this in mind, and let us know if you have any other questions.
 jmramon
|
Thank you for your response and advice. I'm trying to now think about this question from a different standpoint than must be true, since it was stated I shouldn't approach PR-justify questions in this manner.

In trying to "fill the gap," as one is supposed to do with justify questions (or else provide info that sufficiently proves the conclusion), could another right answer therefore be "novels have social significance only to the extent that they allow readers to experience that world from the moral perspective of the novel's characters"? Or would the correct answer have to connect "the readers entering the internal world of the novelist's mind" with such making "contemporary novels socially significant"? If the latter is the case, could you please explain why?

Thank you!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jm,

Just to be clear, this isn't a PR-Justify question, this is a PR, Strengthen question. Does that change your analysis of this question now?

I am betting that it will. Thanks and let us know. :-D
 lp1997
|
Hi,

Just a quick question. Is C wrong because it does not justify the authors reasoning per se (as the question requests) but rather only sorta justifies the conclusion. The gist of the authors argument was that contemporary novels have little social significance because they reades cannot get into the authors head unless they experience the world from the moral perspective of the characters novels. The author then provides a bit of evidence seeming to support the idea that these novels do not lead readers to experience the moral perspective of the authors characters.

Answer choice E lends support to this specific line of reasoning by connecting the fact that readers may not be able to get inside these authors heads with these novels not having social significance.

Answer choice C would support the conclusion in the following way -- a work is socially important only if it engages the moral sensibilities of the audience. The last sentence of the argument presented some evidence that the authors are not concerned with the morality of certain aspects of their novels. So this answer would provide a bit of support for the idea that the novels are not socially significant. BUT, it would not provide any support for the authors reasoning, only for the conclusion itself.

I know that C does not provide much support for the conclusion, but is it incorrect because at best it provides support for the conclusion, whereas E provided support for the argument itself and the connection between the premises and the conclusion?
 Daniel Stern
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LP:

I like E over C because in E I can clearly see the terms just as they were used in the stimulus.

The problem with C is the introduction of new term "moral sensibilities," and I don't understand how that relates to or supports the author's reasoning.

As you suggest, C might be providing a different reason that the novels are not socially significant, but it is not supporting the author's argument.

Best,
Dan
 jennie
|
I still have issues with E because of the phrasing "only to the extent that."

The stimulus says, No Social Significance (-SS) because (/"for") unable to enter Internal World of the Novelist's Mind (-IWNM). And the missing link is between SS and IWNM. However, E defines the relationship between the two differently (more restrictively in my opinion) than what we're looking for by using the phrase "only to the extent that."

I think C is correct because even though the missing link is between SS and IWNM, C skips over IWNM and establishes the link between the conclusion SS and the premise/step before that leads to IWNM--which is the Moral sensibilities (M). M --> IWNM -->SS

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.