LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (E)

In this stimulus, the author comes to the conclusion that humans generally cannot make wiser choices than they did in the past. The author reaches this conclusion based on the fact that humans’ emotional tendencies are essentially no different than the emotional tendencies of the earliest members of the human species. Based on this lack of change, the author says that despite the wider range of individual and societal choices made available to humans by technology, “humans are generally unable to choose more wisely.”

This argument is flawed because the conclusion discusses the ability of humans to choose, while that concept was not introduced by a premise. Because it was not introduced by a premise, it is not supported by the premises.

The question stem identifies this as an Assumption question. Because the conclusion contains new or “rogue” information that did not appear in the premises, we classify this as a Supporter Assumption question. We can prephrase that the correct answer choice will connect the new information in the conclusion, concerning the ability of humans to choose more wisely than they were able to choose in centuries past, with the premises. More specifically, we can take advantage of the structure of the argument, which essentially created a conditional statement comprised of the premise in the first sentence as the sufficient condition and the conclusion as the necessary condition. Stated together, that rule would be that if humans’ emotional tendencies are essentially no different than those of the earliest members of the human species, then humans are not able to choose more wisely than in centuries past. The correct answer choice will most likely contain a restatement of this rule, which we could diagram as:

changed emotional tendencies = humans’ emotional tendencies are different than those of the earliest members of the species

wiser choices = humans would now be able to make wiser choices

• Sufficient ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... Necessary

changed emotional tendencies ..... :arrow: ..... wiser choices
and the contrapositive:
  • wiser choices ..... :arrow: ..... changed emotional tendencies

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect because it is more extreme than what is required for the conclusion to be valid. It does not have to be the case that humans have undergone no significant changes since the origin of the species.

Answer choice (B): Here the answer choice is incorrect because we do not know that the ability to control one’s emotions is one of the human tendencies referenced by the author.

Answer choice (C): The author spoke only of humans’ emotional tendencies, not about their knowledge or their ability to learn. So, we cannot say that heeding the lessons of history has anything to do with the conclusion, let alone that heeding those lessons is required for the conclusion to be valid.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is too restrictive. For the conclusion to be valid, it does not have to be the case that humans choose on the basis of their emotions alone. The author said only that the fact that humans’ emotional tendencies have not changed means that their ability to choose more wisely has not changed.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice, because it essentially restates the rule discussed above, stated in the form of the contrapositive.
 Garrett K
|
Hello PowerScore,

So I am about to ask a bunch of questions about the June 2014 test... Sorry, but I just want quick clarification before Saturday.

So my question for number 12 is how do you know that choicing wisely is dependent upon emotional tendencies? The Answer E says humans would be able to make wiser decisions if an emotional change had taken place, but I do not understand how I can make this connection baed upon the passage.

Thanks,
Garrett
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Garrett K wrote:Hello PowerScore,

So I am about to ask a bunch of questions about the June 2014 test... Sorry, but I just want quick clarification before Saturday.

So my question for number 12 is how do you know that choicing wisely is dependent upon emotional tendencies? The Answer E says humans would be able to make wiser decisions if an emotional change had taken place, but I do not understand how I can make this connection baed upon the passage.

Thanks,
Garrett
Hello Garrett,

Happy to clarify for you!
Anyway, if we are emotionally unchanged from our ancestors, and this means that we would not choose wisely, that assumes that there is something bad (or defective!) about our ancestor's emotions. Answer E plays into that, by essentially saying that there has to be a big change from our ancestors' emotional tendencies, because those tendencies were bad, and they would have to turn around and become good if modern-day humans are to act wisely.

Hope this helps,
David
 emilysnoddon
|
For this question, I chose answer choice E but I kept C as a contender. Is C incorrect because we don't need to know anything about the lessons of history for the conclusion?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Emily,

The author spoke only of humans’ emotional tendencies, not about their knowledge or their ability to learn. So, we cannot say that heeding the lessons of history has anything to do with the conclusion, let alone that heeding those lessons is required for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer here should absolutely be prephrased. The author argues that we can't make wiser choices than we did in the past, despite technological innovations, etc. Why? Because our emotional tendencies have not changed. Clearly, the author assumes a link between our unchanged emotional tendencies and our inability to make wiser decisions:
  • Emotional tendencies unchanged :arrow: Can't make wiser choices
This prephrase agrees with answer choice (C).

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,

I'm not sure why D is wrong...
To make the conclusion, isn't it nec. the author assume this? :(
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Answer D is too strong, because it says we make decisions based on emotions alone. The author doesn't need to assume anything as strong as that. He only needs to assume that emotions are an influential factor. Assumption answers tend to be weak, mild answers, not powerful answers that require a lot of support like this one.

Try the negation technique on answer D - what if we choose based on factors other than just emotion? Couldn't emotion still be dominant and prevent us from making wise choices?
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,

Thank you for your answers!
So...
At first I thought even though essentially it is unchanged, as time passes ppl could have more advice from teachers, parents, friends, counselors etc,
and if D is not true, those factors could help ppl choose more wisely...and thus the conclusion will not stand.
Why I cannot think this way? Is it because as you said, the emotional part could be dominant and other facotrs may not influence that much?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's all about what the author assumed here. He says those tendencies haven't changed, and that as a result we usually cannot make wise decisions. He's not saying it's impossible, just uncommon. The assumption has to supply the missing link here and close the gap between the premises (our emotions haven't changed much) and the conclusion (we don't make wise choices). A good prephrase might be "our emotions tend to prevent us from making wise choices", as that would close that gap.

While we could get advice from others who may be more wise than we are, those people are also only human, and so their advice may be tainted by their emotions, too. Ultimately, it's just what you said - the emotions dominate our choices, although they may not absolutely and completely control them at all times.
 smm
|
Does E also "justify the conclusion"?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.